I don't give a shit about religion.

arnold layne

Does anyone else feel this way?

Like, I don't want to talk about it. I don't care. It doesn't impact my life in any way. If all the churches in the world suddenly disappeared, I wouldn't even notice.

I feel this forum has become a flame war about religion recently, and quite honestly the atheists are just as annoying as the spiritual.

Can't there be something more to life than arguing about this bullshit? C'mon people, seriously.

Like, I don't want to talk about it. I don't care. It doesn't impact my life in any way. If all the churches in the world suddenly disappeared, I wouldn't even notice.

I feel this forum has become a flame war about religion recently, and quite honestly the atheists are just as annoying as the spiritual.

Can't there be something more to life than arguing about this bullshit? C'mon people, seriously.

if you believe the stories, Jesus didn't believe in religion either, he didn't hang out with the Pharisees but with thieves, whores, and his crew of barefoot, transient apostles.

Dogma turns the spirit into intolerable religion and multimillion dollar churches aren't needed.

I don't give a shit about you and I'd be ok with it if very happy you disappeared completely. But you don't see me making threads about it.

Fact is that it's an important aspect of at least half the people on this planet. And yes, some are horribly annoying assholes (or even worse, murderers) about it. But it's important to remember that the vast majority aren't. So live and let live. As long as they don't bother me about it constantly I'm fine with it. You should be a little more tolerant.

It's a shame that it's impossible to have civilized discussions about it on the internet though. There's always assholes (from the pro and the con side) that fuck that up horribly. But that's that. Just...be tolerant.

And quite honestly, I love seeing the occasional church or mosque around. It's a nice reminder of history, tradition, and a lot of (mostly good) values society was built on. It's part of history.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

I think the problem arises with this as with all things when you start taking it all too seriously. I mean obviously it's a persons religion, it's what they think about life and the world around them, it's their perception regarding the holiness of certain entities so you can imagine people'd take it seriously but...end of the day it's just people talking innit?

I'd consider myself an atheist. I think. I don't really know, i don't believe in no kinda God so i guess that qualifies me although people make a lot of other presumptions when they hear the word atheist which i may or may not qualify with.

Thing with me personally is, discussing atheism v religion or whatever, to me it's like...it has as much real value to me as say...arguing what better, Beamer or Merc, arguing who would've won if they fought Ali or Tyson, it's just a bit of a giggle really, just a bit of a back and forth for it's own sake. It doesn't bother me that people are talking about it, it doesn't bother me that certain people get a little heated talking about it, in fact it's helathy, it makes it more interesting.

Or perhaps not, perhaps it is really serious and should be treated as such...thats all the more reason to discuss it, no kinda discussion should be off the charts, keep going, why the fuck wouldn't you?

Edited by sugaraylen

I check in every now and then to see if there is any evidence but no. But everyone believes or has faith in something that there's no evidence for. I believe my life is worth living, there's no real evidence to support this. There is a sense of wonder at the world or just the beauty you see that's enjoyable. A sandwich and a beer and put Doolittle on by the Pixies.

At the basis of most major religions is a common thread to accept people as they are outside of social status and standing, to forgive and be mindful of other people's challenges, to relinquish possessions - or at the least the need for *more* - and so on.. at least in terms of Christianity and Buddhism, what largely started as a personal tradition/philosophy has become widespread with layers of supernatural elements, publish worship in extravagant temples and churches, and so on..

Don't let it bother you too much arnold layne.. when you are affected by other people's perceptions you're allowing them to affect you and it means that you care in some way.. so just worry about yourself and doing the best you can for yourself.. everyone has a different way of trying to understand life - most people consider this through religion and philosophy..

Edited by rhiad85

Guest Len B'stard

I check in every now and then to see if there is any evidence but no. But everyone believes or has faith in something that there's no evidence for. I believe my life is worth living, there's no real evidence to support this. There is a sense of wonder at the world or just the beauty you see that's enjoyable. A sandwich and a beer and put Doolittle on by the Pixies.

Wa-hey, Doolittle, ill bring a bottle and a disco ball!

couldn't agree more, religion is not for me and it doesn't bother me one bit if anybody else feels it is for them. People believe in different things, I learned how to deal with that many years ago.

How do you "deal" with your loved ones being victims of religious terror? Oh yeah, that hasn't happened to you so you don't care.

To be honest i get annoyed by the belivers on this forum. most of them seem to believe that everything written in the holy book of their religon is the absolute truth. They wont hear a word against it as if their prohpets and their book has it all figured out. Even though the athiests on this forum come across as smug, i can tolertate them.

• Like 1

The other way around - why do people who aren't religious often feel the need to say "It's a bunch of made up bullshit and people who believe in it are idiots" instead of "Well, I don't believe in it"? I'm always open to fair discussion about it, but in my opinion it hardly ever happens in a respectful manner.

• Like 2

I don't really see how it matters whether anyone is smug or not in discussions. People pay way much attention to form and not to content. Such people easily fall victims of people being intentionally rude while still making proper arguments. In the religion discussions we are talking about what is real, it is not a popularity contest. It doesn't matter if people come off as arrogant or jerks, not in the sense that it affects the power of whatever arguments they may have. The argument is still there. And no matter how I say it, fact is that it is irrational to believe in gods because there are no evidence suggesting the existence of them. That's the take-home message to all the goddicts here. You are irrational. You believe in something which simply is highly improbable. What you believe in is quite absurd and requires some solid evidence, which just is lacking! If you are intelligent enough you will realize that your beliefs are probably nothing but figments of your weak brain. Dead-end cognitive adventures. None of us are intelligent enough, but some of us are able to realize when our thoughts are flawed. We recognize junk beliefs for what they are. Others are simply too stupid, too comfortable, too lazy or too afraid to challenge what they should immediately recognize as silly beliefs. Ask yourself: why do I believe? Then ask yourself, are these reasons really good enough to believe that supernatural creatures exist?

• Like 1

I don't really see how it matters whether anyone is smug or not in discussions. People pay way much attention to form and not to content. Such people easily fall victims of people being intentionally rude while still making proper arguments. In the religion discussions we are talking about what is real, it is not a popularity contest. It doesn't matter if people come off as arrogant or jerks, not in the sense that it affects the power of whatever arguments they may have. The argument is still there. And no matter how I say it, fact is that it is irrational to believe in gods because there are no evidence suggesting the existence of them. That's the take-home message to all the goddicts here. You are irrational. You believe in something which simply is highly improbable. What you believe in is quite absurd and requires some solid evidence, which just is lacking! If you are intelligent enough you will realize that your beliefs are probably nothing but figments of your weak brain. Dead-end cognitive adventures. None of us are intelligent enough, but some of us are able to realize when our thoughts are flawed. We recognize junk beliefs for what they are. Others are simply too stupid, too comfortable, too lazy or too afraid to challenge what they should immediately recognize as silly beliefs. Ask yourself: why do I believe? Then ask yourself, are these reasons really good enough to believe that supernatural creatures exist?

To me it's not even so much the belief but moreso the readiness to invoke the supernatural in an instance where a perfectly rational explanation already exists. On the rare occasion where something is genuinely unexplained I can kind of understand that mentality but when you see the actual evidence for something laid out for all to see only for people to put the blinkers on and insist it was god that did it I just want to give them a fucking shake. :shrugs:

But why do you let it bother you? I mean when the moment comes for all of us and the realisation hits that there is in fact no heaven, no hell, no nothing after death, you (and I) aren't going to be the ones shocked or surprised, right? So let it be. People can go about their lives the way they want as long as it doesn't hurt others.

I only have a problem with religion when it hurts others. 911 was a classic example of that, but the follow on effect from that is all the Christians who now view Muslims as 'evil'. Anyone who views another religion as 'evil' scares the fuck out of me. I can only think of one thing: Hitler.