Why is New GNR music treated like it is Area 51 by Axl Rose?

Randy Lahey

Why is New GNR music treated like it is Area 51 by Axl Rose? Can somebody get me a security clearance pass so I can finally listen to Atlas Shrugged and The General?

I'm going to assume that Guns N' Roses wants their music released the way they want it released.

Do you think he's holding out for multi-million dollar music videos with speedboats and supermodels?

No, but my guess is he would at least like any sort of proper promotion.

The last album got a TON of promotion - but it was all mainly from the label's side and not from his.

I saw ads for CD in magazines, newspapers and saw comericals on TV for it. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, that literally never gets concerts except for the Police Man's Ball (1960's acts or some country singer you'd never heard of. I think Juice Newton has been the biggest name) and I saw all kinds of promotion for CD.

Plus they had a song in a Leonardo DiCaprio/Russell Crow movie. A song in a video game. Myspace played all the songs.

CD got more promotion than 99.9% of albums that are released.

What I didn't see what Axl Rose out doing promotion. I didn't see him doing magazine interviews or the late-night talk show scene - things that almost every other major artist does to promote their albums.

By saying that he wants some promotion on this album, are you implying that one stumbling block in releasing the next album is that Axl is unhappy with the budgeting allowance/plans the label has promised to Axl? If so, where did you come across this information? Everybody speculates on the reasons for no new album, so if you have some secret info, please share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is New GNR music treated like it is Area 51 by Axl Rose? Can somebody get me a security clearance pass so I can finally listen to Atlas Shrugged and The General?

I'm going to assume that Guns N' Roses wants their music released the way they want it released.

Do you think he's holding out for multi-million dollar music videos with speedboats and supermodels?

Please provide a source for this statistic.

The last album got a TON of promotion - but it was all mainly from the label's side and not from his.

I saw ads for CD in magazines, newspapers and saw comericals on TV for it. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, that literally never gets concerts except for the Police Man's Ball (1960's acts or some country singer you'd never heard of. I think Juice Newton has been the biggest name) and I saw all kinds of promotion for CD.

Plus they had a song in a Leonardo DiCaprio/Russell Crow movie. A song in a video game. Myspace played all the songs.

What I didn't see what Axl Rose out doing promotion. I didn't see him doing magazine interviews or the late-night talk show scene - things that almost every other major artist does to promote their albums.

By saying that he wants some promotion on this album, are you implying that one stumbling block in releasing the next album is that Axl is unhappy with the budgeting allowance/plans the label has promised to Axl? If so, where did you come across this information? Everybody speculates on the reasons for no new album, so if you have some secret info, please share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot more goes into the promotion of a album then putting a song in the credits of an unpopular movie, releasing a song on a game that every other song (at that time) gets released on and letting the entire album be played for free on a social network.

I'm the last person to pretend to have secret facts or inside info not did I even hint at that. I am however, looking at the situation in black and white and in doing so, I can see that the album was never properly promoted and as I said "my guess is that he would like any sort of proper promotion".

A lot more goes into the promotion of a album then putting a song in the credits of an unpopular movie, releasing a song on a game that every other song (at that time) gets released on and letting the entire album be played for free on a social network.

I'm the last person to pretend to have secret facts or inside info not did I even hint at that. I am however, looking at the situation in black and white and in doing so, I can see that the album was never properly promoted and as I said "my guess is that he would like any sort of proper promotion".

Not trying to argue with you - but like I said earlier.

I saw newspaper ads, magazine ads and spots on TV that were promoting the album. That only happens for a very select few releases. What more should they have done? Had interns go door-to-door all over the world?

And come on man, you are better than this! An unpopular movie? So putting a song in a movie with Leonardo Dicaprio - one of the most popular actors alive, Russell Crowe, directed by Ridley Scott with a 70 million dollar budget...........on paper you would look at that and go "Naw, that's not much of a promotion. Scrap that idea." Nobody knows in advance how well a movie is going to do, so to look back and downplay that isn't really fair.

You downplay the social network thing. Again, really? Didn't it break myspace records and get over 14 million hits?????

And the video game - another downgrade. One of the most popular games out there, and I saw news stories that talked about GnR being part of it.

What more promotion do you think Axl deserved???? (serious question). What more could they have done????

This popped up in another thread. I'm sure it's a fake, but I am still laughing my ass off. It's brilliant whether it's real or fake. Is it CD2, or Track 11 of 12 on Album 3?

Axl should drop a series of clues at random locations. The lyrics of Jackie Chan are the key that unlocks the codex. Solving the Axl Code reveals the hidden mystery of CD2.

z3n5.jpg

LOL I remember that. Still don't know who was behind that one.

I guess it's a fair question.

My thoughts on it is that besides the casual fans that go see the shows to see Axl sing the classic hits, the way they have to make people interested is to keep this songs in mystery.

That way people will talk about it, and once you talk about it you're hooked in and you're more curious than ever.

I saw newspaper ads, magazine ads and spots on TV that were promoting the album. That only happens for a very select few releases. What more should they have done? Had interns go door-to-door all over the world?

And come on man, you are better than this! An unpopular movie? So putting a song in a movie with Leonardo Dicaprio - one of the most popular actors alive, Russell Crowe, directed by Ridley Scott with a 70 million dollar budget...........on paper you would look at that and go "Naw, that's not much of a promotion. Scrap that idea." Nobody knows in advance how well a movie is going to do, so to look back and downplay that isn't really fair.

You downplay the social network thing. Again, really? Didn't it break myspace records and get over 14 million hits?????

And the video game - another downgrade. One of the most popular games out there, and I saw news stories that talked about GnR being part of it.

What more promotion do you think Axl deserved???? (serious question). What more could they have done????

Leonardo DiCaprio is a popular actor, but that doesn't make Body of Lies a popular movie. It got 53% on Rotten Tomatoes.

14 million plays on MySpace. If I can play an album for free, why bother buying it?

Leonardo DiCaprio is a popular actor, but that doesn't make Body of Lies a popular movie. It got 53% on Rotten Tomatoes.

14 million plays on MySpace. If I can play an album for free, why bother buying it?

You are missing the point.

BEFORE the movie came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you say that putting a GnR song in a movie starring Leo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, directed by Ridley Scott would be a bad move or good move?

Because you can't take Myspace into your car, your ipod, your work, your laptop, etc and listen to it a few times a day for a year or so!!!!

Using your logic, why would anybody ever buy anything? I can hear pretty much every song/album released on youtube. So why would I ever need to buy an album?????

You are missing the point.

BEFORE the movie came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you say that putting a GnR song in a movie starring Leo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, directed by Ridley Scott would be a bad move or good move?

Because you can't take Myspace into your car, your ipod, your work, your laptop, etc and listen to it a few times a day for a year or so!!!!

Using your logic, why would anybody ever buy anything? I can hear pretty much every song/album released on youtube. So why would I ever need to buy an album?????

There are also programs available that can rip music from MySpace.

z3n5.jpg

someone explain me this ! never seen it

I don't know the back story on it, was posted in another thread by someone who said it's not new.

I am picturing the listener being blindfolded and taken to a military complex like something out of Metal Gear Solid. Taken through an ear cleanse and retina scan, to a listening post, armed guards all over the place. You can listen to CD2 but must keep your hands on the table at all times. One listen per song, no notes, then a debriefing session where you sign a 42 page nondisclosure agreement. Full body cavity search, sack over your head and you're thrown in the back of a van and tossed out at a stop sign a couple of blocks from your house.

This popped up in another thread. I'm sure it's a fake, but I am still laughing my ass off. It's brilliant whether it's real or fake. Is it CD2, or Track 11 of 12 on Album 3?

Axl should drop a series of clues at random locations. The lyrics of Jackie Chan are the key that unlocks the codex. Solving the Axl Code reveals the hidden mystery of CD2.

z3n5.jpg

6. T.W.A.T (BMTS) 7. CITR (BMTS)

14. PROS (REM)

...what?

I guess it's a fair question.

My thoughts on it is that besides the casual fans that go see the shows to see Axl sing the classic hits, the way they have to make people interested is to keep this songs in mystery.

That way people will talk about it, and once you talk about it you're hooked in and you're more curious than ever.

dont get too paranoid. I think its just they embarked on too much material. Another band i know said they worked on 70 songs are releasing 2 albums. Im not scouring the web for the missing 40 tracks. Its partly our fault for rabidly following too close. But we love it really.

Well i went to see Metallica and its like Death Magnetic and Load dont exist. This to me is number 1 reason, new records are waste of ammmo. Axl wants to make a record that matters not just to him but on global scale. Imo.