Mayer Hawthorne

RussTCB

Anybody else heard this guy? He's actually from a town not far from where I live but I didn't hear of him until the first single off his second album became a mild hit:

His third album just came out and his direction changed a little, it's almost straight R&B now, but I'm still loving it:

Anybody else dig it?

Dude, yes. He's one of my favorite musicians. Still warming up to his new album, but I love the first two. Honestly, when I first found out about him I listened to A Strange Arrangement every day for like a year straight :lol: Ever seen him live? Such a fun gig - he's a natural performer.

This is like the first time anyone on here has mentioned Mayer Hawthorne besides me. I'm way too excited about that :awesomeface:

Dude, yes. He's one of my favorite musicians. Still warming up to his new album, but I love the first two. Honestly, when I first found out about him I listened to A Strange Arrangement every day for like a year straight :lol: Ever seen him live? Such a fun gig - he's a natural performer.

This is like the first time anyone on here has mentioned Mayer Hawthorne besides me. I'm way too excited about that :awesomeface:

Right on! I live like 20 minutes from Ann Arbor so I have no idea how I didn't know about him prior to hearing The Walk after How Do You Do was released. I went back to buy A Strange Arrangement and really wasn't sure what to think of the new album when I first heard Her Favorite Song, but after a couple listens, I absolutely love Where Does This Door Go.

I haven't had the chance to see him live yet. After I'd found out about him, every performance of his in my area was on a night where I was already tied up with something else. It was odd how it kept working out. Now he's set to open for Bruno Mars all across Europe so I'm not even sure when he'll be back this way.

He's doing a headlining US tour starting later this month - dunno if he's getting your way but I'm seeing him in Toronto on the 6th. Definitely worth the price of a ticket though - when I saw him last year I think it was $10.

I really like about half of Where Does This Door Go, and half of it hasn't set well with me yet. Did you get the deluxe version? If not, find a way to check out those extra tracks, as they're some of my favorites out of his whole discography. Off WDTDG, I really dig Back Seat Lover, The Innocent, Reach Out Richard, Where Does This Door Go, The Stars Are Ours, All Better, and all the bonus tracks - especially Small Clone. Small Clone is so damn catchy; it reminds me of the first time I heard Your Easy Lovin' (Which is the song that got me hooked on Mayer), and I'll literally just sit there with that one song on repeat. I think the biggest turnoff to me about the new album is it's such a departure from the first two - I really love him first and foremost because he is absolutely the best next-generation soul singer out there IMO. I wish there was still a trace of that sound on this album, but there really isn't - The Stars Are Ours is about as close as he comes to that sound.

Speaking of The Stars Are Ours, you see the performance of it on Kimmel last week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmdk25ldTI

Caught that Kimmel performance and thought it was super rad. If you go to the Kimmel website, Her Favorite Song is on there too.

I looked at the US dates and he's not playing anywhere near me prior to going to the UK but I very much appreciate the heads up anyway.

I have the special edition of Door on my PC but haven't listened to the extra tracks yet. I bought it on vinyl so that's what I've listened to so far. As a whole piece it's just fantastic. One song really leads to the next very, very well. The drop after Her Favorite Song where the cop asks what's in the cup is one of my favorite drops on any record I've heard in quite some time LOL.

Gotta pick up the vinyl still - haven't been able to find it. May just end up ordering it online.

I'm pretty sure we're the only people on the forum who care about MH at all :P

Was just thinking that as well haha. Maybe if we keep talking about it, others will take a listen?

Gotta pick up the vinyl still - haven't been able to find it. May just end up ordering it online.

Was just thinking that as well haha. Maybe if we keep talking about it, others will take a listen?

It's the only solution :lol: I made a thread about MH when I first discovered him and literally no one replied to it

It's the only solution :lol: I made a thread about MH when I first discovered him and literally no one replied to it

Well now there's two of us! So if we tell two friends and they tell two friends.... haha.

I still can't believe he's from nearby me and I didn't even know of him til I heard The Walk. What's funny though is that I heard The Walk on the radio and happened to be near my favorite record store at the time. I heard the first chorus and made a U-Turn to go back to that store. Parked and listened to the rest of the tune until they said who it was and the title. Got out of the car, walked in and was like "I simply must own the Mayer Hawthorne album with The Walk on it right now" haha.

Thats how I was when I first heard Your Easy Lovin' - I was hooked instantly and had to track down everything he'd released - all the singles, the album, etc.

I've got the 10" Live EP he released too and I absolutely love the version of Love In Motion on there.

Thats how I was when I first heard Your Easy Lovin' - I was hooked instantly and had to track down everything he'd released - all the singles, the album, etc.

I've got the 10" Live EP he released too and I absolutely love the version of Love In Motion on there.

I got that one around the same time he did the iTunes sessions...gotta say as a whole I prefer the iTunes sessions for an in-the-studio EP - I love his take on I've Got A Crush On You. Though it was great to have an official live version of Shiny & New on the 10" :)

Do you have (Or have you heard) the Direct To Disc LP-only live album? Found that one at a record store in Toronto...really love that one!!!

I got that one around the same time he did the iTunes sessions...gotta say as a whole I prefer the iTunes sessions for an in-the-studio EP - I love his take on I've Got A Crush On You. Though it was great to have an official live version of Shiny & New on the 10" :)

Do you have (Or have you heard) the Direct To Disc LP-only live album? Found that one at a record store in Toronto...really love that one!!!

I don't have the iTunes Session OR the Direct To Disc live album. What the shit?? How did I not know they existed?! (runs off to discogs.com to price live album...)

I don't have the iTunes Session OR the Direct To Disc live album. What the shit?? How did I not know they existed?! (runs off to discogs.com to price live album...)

The live album can go for quite a bit I think - they only pressed 500 of them, and they rarely pop up on eBay or anything. I need to make a rip of it for my iPod though, so I can send ya the mp3's when I do if you want ;)

And the iTunes session is available in the iTunes store.

So, do you know about the Impressions EP? :lol:

The live album can go for quite a bit I think - they only pressed 500 of them, and they rarely pop up on eBay or anything. I need to make a rip of it for my iPod though, so I can send ya the mp3's when I do if you want ;)

Found the Direct To Disc on Discogs for around $20 so I may go ahead and grab that.

I have mp3s of the Impressions EP, but I don't think that's out on vinyl.

BTW, I was kicking around YouTube and found this:

Pretty bad ass if you ask me!

Found the Direct To Disc on Discogs for around $20 so I may go ahead and grab that.

$20 is a very good price for the Direct To Disc LP - I think it was more than that when it was available!

Impressions is download only, no physical release.

Do you have (Or have you heard) the instrumentals from A Strange Arrangement? He re-released the whole album with just the instrumentals and it's kinda cool, there's all these little textural things that the vocals cover up. The How Do You Do instrumentals are avail able too, he put out a box set this spring with a 7" for every track on HDYD, and the B-side is the instrumental - gotta pick that up when I've got some spare cash.

$20 is a very good price for the Direct To Disc LP - I think it was more than that when it was available!

Impressions is download only, no physical release.

Do you have (Or have you heard) the instrumentals from A Strange Arrangement? He re-released the whole album with just the instrumentals and it's kinda cool, there's all these little textural things that the vocals cover up. The How Do You Do instrumentals are avail able too, he put out a box set this spring with a 7" for every track on HDYD, and the B-side is the instrumental - gotta pick that up when I've got some spare cash.

I have the instrumental A Strange Arrangement LP, but I honestly don't listen to it much. I still think about getting the HDYD box anyway lol. There's a local record store that has it in stock for $75 and I keep thinking about picking it up.

I've only got the mp3's of the instrumentals, gotta get the LP someday. I suppose $75 isn't too bad for the box set, since you'd be saving shipping. I think it's $64 online. The only other stuff I need to track down still is WDTDG on LP, the Gangsta Luv/The Ills 7" (that one is gonna be impossible to find I think...), the I Need You 12", and the Henny & Gingerale 7"

You have the Just Ain't Gonna Work Out heart-shaped 7"? It's got When I Said Goodbye on the B-side, one of my favorite Mayer tracks :)

I've only got the mp3's of the instrumentals, gotta get the LP someday. I suppose $75 isn't too bad for the box set, since you'd be saving shipping. I think it's $64 online. The only other stuff I need to track down still is WDTDG on LP, the Gangsta Luv/The Ills 7" (that one is gonna be impossible to find I think...), the I Need You 12", and the Henny & Gingerale 7"

You have the Just Ain't Gonna Work Out heart-shaped 7"? It's got When I Said Goodbye on the B-side, one of my favorite Mayer tracks :)

No, the only things I have so far are the 4 LPs (including ASA Instrumental) and the 10" live.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from the Toronto show. Great gig, though I preferred the last time I saw him, if only because I liked the setlist better. However, tonight was really special - they filmed the promo video for Reach Out Richard at the end of the set! I was on the barrier just in front of Mayer so it's very likely I'll make it into the promo video :D They set up this ring around his head that had about 20 of those small helmet-mountable cameras on it, all facing inwards towards Mayer, and that was it. But I was well in the frame of a few of them, so that was cool. Got a setlist and met him after the gig and got him to sign it and got a pic with him...just as nice as last time I met him :)

The setlist:

Physicality

Back Seat Lover

A Long Time

Henny & Gingerale

Designer Drug (Was on the setlist, but he didn't play it, shame, would've loved to hear it :( )

The Innocent

Green Eyed Love

Allie Jones

Crime

Get To Know You

I Wish It Would Rain

The Stars Are Ours

Corsican Rose

Her Favorite Song

Love In Motion

No Strings

I Can't Go For That (Hall & Oates cover)

The Walk

Wine Glass Woman

Where Does This Door Go

---

May I Come In? (Blossom Dearie cover - he did this one just him and piano, a la I've Got A Crush On You...really amazing!)

Reach Out Richard (Video shoot)

I'll post some pictures and whatnot...but maybe not before heading down to the southwest on Monday :P

I checked them out, but the new album is more my thing. Back Seat Lover and Wine Glass Woman are great, too.

OH SHIT he's doing a gig in London on 7th October!

Thank you, Spotify + Songkick!

And it's right outside my office, straight after work!

Edited by Amir