Mayer Hawthorne

RussTCB

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Is he on the whole Hall & Oates tour? I was just talking to my wife about wanting to go see them, so that would be the clincher if so.

Not sure, but I'd imagine so. He's listed on the TM page for the Syracuse show, so I guess check TM for the show you're going to?

• 3 weeks later...

Who else picked up the new album today? Man, it's straight up sexy. It's so hard to rank against his other albums since they're all so damn good, but I know I wouldn't put it as my favorite. It's probably the easiest-listening album yet though, everything is very smooth and mellow, which I dig. Nothing up-tempo which is kind of cool. It's the kind of album I could put on to fall asleep to, and I mean that in the best possible way :tongue2:

Looking forward to absorbing it more, but so far my favorite is Book Of Broken Hearts.

Another new episode of KCRW's Morning Goes Electric with Mayer. This is the same Radio show the RSD 10" a few years ago was pulled from - this one features 3 songs off the new album, 1 new cover (Gimme Some Kind Of Sign), and a few songs from ASA, HDYD, and WDTDG:

http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/mayer-hawthorne-2016-04-08

• 2 months later...

Reporting in after last nights gig! First things first, the setlist...

1. Breakfast In Bed

2. Back Seat Lover

3. The Valley

4. Fancy Clothes

5. Allie Jones

6. Designer Drug

7. No Strings

8. The Only One

9. Crime

10. Scrabble (Don't know what this one was, but that's how it's listed on the setlist)

11. Your Easy Lovin' Ain't Pleasin' Nothin'

12. You Called Me

13. Hooked

14. The Ills

15. Get You Back

16. I Wish It Would Rain

17. Lingerie & Candlewax

18. Do It

19. Walk This Way

20. The Walk

21. Gimme Little Sign

22. Love Like That

---

23. Cosmic Love

24. Henny & Gingerale

25. Everybody Wants To Rule The World

I know @RussTCB is probably disappointed with that set since there's not too many WDTDG songs, but it was probably my favorite setlist I've seen him do (Though the set on the How Do You Do tour comes very close since the first two albums are my favorites). But this was an extremely balanced setlist, which was my biggest gripe about the WDTDG tour. It was great to see some of these early songs again, particularly Your Easy Lovin' and You Called Me. 

The venue was cool as hell - it was Daryl Hall's restaurant way out in the middle of nowhere, and it only held 175 people. I got there early to eat, and they did soundcheck while I was eating - got to see it even though I didn't have the $75 meet and greet/soundcheck package :book: Really glad I got to see soundcheck though, because he did Book of Broken Hearts there but not in the show, and that's my favorite song on the new album. Besides that, he did Lingerie & Candlewax, The Valley, and Back Seat Lover. After that, the show itself was amazing, probably my favorite Mayer show I've seen. The stage was only about six inches high, so if you weren't in the front row you didn't have a hope of seeing anything. Mayer looked amazing as usual; he started the show off in a black suit with leather lapels, and midway he changed into a gold, cross-buttoned blazer, with matching shoes. A nice little touch when he did a bunch of early songs in the middle of the set was he put on his thick rim glasses from the early days, thought that was cool :) One of the highlights of the show was, in the middle, he says "You know, I want to do a few more off How Do You Do and A Strange Arrangement, but we just don't have the time. Hey fellas, can we do these next few super fast? I'm talking like James Brown in the 80's fast!". So they did basically double time renditions of You Called Me, Hooked, and The Ills all back to back. Huge props to Mayer, and the rest of the band on that - pretty spectacular consider those three songs are probably the fastest songs he's recorded to begin with. As usual his covers were great too - I think Walk This Way was unnecessary since he did it on the last tour, but Gimme Little Sign and Everybody Wants To Rule The World were awesome. 

So as usual, Mayer was top notch. Catch him on this tour if you can!

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...