Mayer Hawthorne

RussTCB

• 1 month later...

Finally got our NY and Brooklyn tickets. Looking forward to going to Webster Hall again, great venue. Checked out the Brooklyn venue, it looks absolutely tiny:

Screen-shot-2010-05-03-at-5.43.50-PM.png

That should be a fun one :popcorn:

VERY nice. The venue he's playing here is small too. I'm stoked!

Check out this thread BTW:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/204993-quadron/

Someone put me up on them last week and it turns out they're the opener for the tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reporting in after the Webster Hall gig. First info first...setlist:

Band Intro

Physicality

Back Seat Lover

A Long Time

Reach Out Richard

Wine Glass Woman

Designer Drug

No Strings

The Innocent

Green Eyed Love

Allie Jones

Crime

Get To Know You

I Wish It Would Rain

Do It (Didn't know this song, but that's what's printed on the setlist)

Walk This Way

The Walk

The Stars Are Ours

Corsican Rose

Where Does This Door Go

The Ills

---

Unknown (encores weren't printed on setlist, but never heard this song)

Just Ain't Gonna Work Out

Her Favorite Song

Got to Webster Hall around 4, doors were at 6:30 and there were already about 50 people in line. So we blew off queuing to walk around the Village since we didn't think there was a chance of getting on the barrier. Came back around 6 and found out there were 3 different gigs going on at Webster Hall - and the line was for a different gig. So we ended up being the first ones in the door for Mayer.

Really enjoyed Quadron, looking forward to seeing them again tomorrow night. Mayer was on fire tonight - easily my favorite gig I've seen him do yet (even if the setlist when I saw him in 2012 was better). The songs off WDTDG sounded so much better than last time, they've really evolved a lot since early in the tour. And he looks SO much better; he lost the Mohawk and is closer to his old school look. Got a setlist afterwards!

At our hotel in Long Island City right now and our room has a great view of the skyline - doesn't get much better! Brooklyn tomorrow!

• Like 1

Band Intro

Physicality

Back Seat Lover

A Long Time

Reach Out Richard

Wine Glass Woman

Designer Drug

No Strings

The Innocent

Green Eyed Love

Allie Jones

Crime

Get To Know You

I Wish It Would Rain

Walk This Way

The Walk

The Stars Are Ours

Corsican Rose

Where Does This Door Go

The Ills

---

Her Favorite Song

Got to Webster Hall around 4, doors were at 6:30 and there were already about 50 people in line. So we blew off queuing to walk around the Village since we didn't think there was a chance of getting on the barrier. Came back around 6 and found out there were 3 different gigs going on at Webster Hall - and the line was for a different gig. So we ended up being the first ones in the door for Mayer.

Really enjoyed Quadron, looking forward to seeing them again tomorrow night. Mayer was on fire tonight - easily my favorite gig I've seen him do yet (even if the setlist when I saw him in 2012 was better). The songs off WDTDG sounded so much better than last time, they've really evolved a lot since early in the tour. And he looks SO much better; he lost the Mohawk and is closer to his old school look. Got a setlist afterwards!

At our hotel in Long Island City right now and our room has a great view of the skyline - doesn't get much better! Brooklyn tomorrow!

VERY nice! I can't wait til next week!! I don't know much about his tours, does he switch up set lists? I'm kind of hoping not because I'd love to get the set list you got. The only thing I'd like to see added would be All Better, but I'd take that list anyway. Glad you liked Quadron too, I'm really looking forward to them.

Band Intro

Physicality

Back Seat Lover

A Long Time

Reach Out Richard

Wine Glass Woman

Designer Drug

No Strings

The Innocent

Green Eyed Love

Allie Jones

Crime

Get To Know You

I Wish It Would Rain

Walk This Way

The Walk

The Stars Are Ours

Corsican Rose

Where Does This Door Go

The Ills

---

Her Favorite Song

VERY nice! I can't wait til next week!! I don't know much about his tours, does he switch up set lists? I'm kind of hoping not because I'd love to get the set list you got. The only thing I'd like to see added would be All Better, but I'd take that list anyway. Glad you liked Quadron too, I'm really looking forward to them. I think he might change up a sng or two, but the majority will remain the same. He hasn't ever played All Better AFAIK.

Still no Robot Love? Man, that's my favourite Hawthorne song, why does he never play it?! I can't even find any videos on YouTube...

I know, I was hoping it'd be put back in the setlist for this leg too. I guess the only tour he played it on was opening for One Republic last summer.

By the way - Mayer always has a 12" you can only get at the gigs. This tour is Her Favorite Song 6 track EP - album version, 2 remixes, and instrumental versions of all 3. $15. Thought I'd warn you so you can hit the merch booth, Russ ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Consider it purchased.

• Like 1

On the barrier. Strange (but cool) venue. Met Mayer again briefly this afternoon. Cold as all fuck in here - wearing a sweater with my warmest peacoat still on over it, and literally shivering. Will give a review on the way home.

Cool. Excited to hear the second review. I'm off on Thursday. I'm considering rolling down to the venue in the afternoon to see if I can meet him, maybe have him sign my WDTDG LP.

On the barrier. Strange (but cool) venue. Met Mayer again briefly this afternoon. Cold as all fuck in here - wearing a sweater with my warmest peacoat still on over it, and literally shivering. Will give a review on the way home.

Cool. Excited to hear the second review. I'm off on Thursday. I'm considering rolling down to the venue in the afternoon to see if I can meet him, maybe have him sign my WDTDG LP.

If you know where the tour bus is, he's easy enough to meet. He's a little shy...nice, but not overly talkative.

Last night was another fun gig, though definitely not as good as Thursday. The place was tiny, they could barely fit his band on stage. Really cool venue though - it was like the Polish national club, so they had a Polish buffet dinner (Which I didn't have since I'd stuffed my face for lunch already :lol: ), imported Polish beers, etc.

Really enjoyed Quadron again - definitely want to check some of their stuff out.

Mayer came on about a half hour late - they were having trouble with his bassist's pedalboard. (I'm assuming) as a result, they cut Green Eyed Love last night - it was still on the setlist. Otherwise, the set was the same. Great crowd but very stereotypically Brooklyn - tons of hipsters :lol: Mayer was talking about the exclusive tour merch and he even said "I got some exclusive stuff, so all you Brooklyn hipsters are gonna be real happy". He poked fun at me during Picture Time, he said "I know y'all like taking pictures on your phones and stuff...especially this guy right here, it's all he does at my shows". Funny thing is, I hardly took any pics last night :book:

All in all, glad I did both shows. Admittedly, I think things are a little too static from night to night, even down to his dialogue which was almost identical both nights. But he's such a great performer, it really doesn't matter.

Here's the NY Picture Time photo...hasn't put up Brooklyn yet:

iFmpJbL.jpg

Amir - finally found a tiny clip of Robot Love live, from the album release party in July. And holy fuck, I wish he'd bring it back...sounds amazing!!!

Also figured out what the song I didn't know in the encore was; Playing Your Game, Baby - Barry White

• Like 1

Amir - finally found a tiny clip of Robot Love live, from the album release party in July. And holy fuck, I wish he'd bring it back...sounds amazing!!!

Also figured out what the song I didn't know in the encore was; Playing Your Game, Baby - Barry White

Definitely needs to be in the set more often. And wish I got a Barry White cover at my gig, as soon as I heard Mayer Hawthorne I thought he was the new white Barry White!

• Like 1

Definitely needs to be in the set more often. And wish I got a Barry White cover at my gig, as soon as I heard Mayer Hawthorne I thought he was the new white Barry White!

He sounds nothing like Barry, that's why I didn't really recognize it. Cool cover though, it just kinda segued into Just Ain't Gonna Work Out:

What exactly was the setlist when you saw him? I haven't seen any of the setlists from Europe last fall, either his own gigs or opening for Bruno Mars. I'm guessing heavy on the new stuff, but a few more old tracks thrown in than for the US?

He sounds nothing like Barry, that's why I didn't really recognize it. Cool cover though, it just kinda segued into Just Ain't Gonna Work Out:

What exactly was the setlist when you saw him? I haven't seen any of the setlists from Europe last fall, either his own gigs or opening for Bruno Mars. I'm guessing heavy on the new stuff, but a few more old tracks thrown in than for the US?

Pretty much. It's not on setlist.fm unfortunately, but I recognised a fair few of the songs and the new album is the one I'm most familiar with.

Oh shit, he did play that Barry White song at the show I went to, now I recognise it!

It's not so much that he sounds like Barry White vocally, but the <ahem> content and subject matter.

i.e. music to get down to ;)

• Like 1

Not as small as the London show ;) :

b8b934f82fba11e39a9d22000a1f979c_8.jpg

I'm by his left elbow.

Those 4 guys at the front were *really* excited. Can't say I didn't find it a little weird that 4 guys decided to come together to watch Mayer Hawthorne. Then again, the venue is called G-A-Y...

• Like 1

It was only the second smallest place I've seen him, but the stage itself was so cramped. They had like, no room up there. This was the smallest place I've seen him, first time in Toronto in 2012:

526267_10150144597404986_924888084_n.jpg

That's literally the whole stage in the frame. They could only fit like 10 people across the front of the stage.

• Like 1