5 new songs, 3 of which are Better (and other recycled stuff)

username

I had a thought. Since CD we've had 5 leaks. Three of them are Better, one is a remix and once is a Tommy song.

But what bugs me is that three of them are Better and 4 of them (three Better's and BITW) use older vocal tracks. I could see BBF or Brain doing something with Better before it was actually released since they were in the band at the time (although I think this was all done post-CD, but I might be wrong). But it also means that DJ, who wasn't in the band pre-CD, was bored enough to re-work an old track and used an old vocal track. Blood In The Water was also a mix of an older song (Prostitute) with just one sentence of what probably is a vocal from another older song. So since CD, this is what's been keeping these guys busy.

I can't help but being quite bothered that the band is apparently SO bored that they're all re-working old tracks. What we got, except Going Down, is essentially recycled GnR material made on the initiative of (ex) band members other than Axl. In fact it seems like Axl really didn't do anything at all on these. The Better's and BITW seem to be Brain, Ron and DJ and Going Down seems to have been Tommy's thing.

Of course I'm happy we got something new, but if you really think about it, we barely got anything new.

As happy as I am that we can listen to some unheard stuff, it's also another example of the sad state Guns n' Roses is in...

And that makes me kind of sad. Does anybody else agree here?

Edited by username

I agree! There's no fucking point in DJ recording Better. But again, when I remember Axl in Slashes book, I see that they just fucked around while Axl was not showing up in studio.

Early in 2011 Mister Saint Laurent said there was a plan for doing a re-release of "Chinese Democracy" with proper booklet and new version of "Better" (with DJ Ashba) as bonus track. So I guess that's where this song (Ashba's Better) coming from.

3 better? wtf?

Not 2?

btw the new TIL hasn't leaked yet and it contains new vocals and a new DJ solo...

I agree it's quite "frustrating" that we haven't heard "new" material (except GD) just previously released songs in new form

Better Gone, Better acoustic, Better with DJ. So, 3.

But I can see why people have forgotten Better Gone....

But, anyways, on topic - I like them. Better than nothing. But, I'm hoping there's no hiatus.

• Like 1

3 better? wtf?

Not 2?

btw the new TIL hasn't leaked yet and it contains new vocals and a new DJ solo...

I agree it's quite "frustrating" that we haven't heard "new" material (except GD) just previously released songs in new form

Better Gone, Better acoustic, Better with DJ. So, 3.

But I can see why people have forgotten Better Gone....

But, anyways, on topic - I like them. Better than nothing. But, I'm hoping there's no hiatus.

oh i totally forgot that :)

Its always nice to get something new and this board is a far better place when there is fresh conversation. However I agree, Going Down aside, there's nothing new. An amateur with talent could record over the old vocals so although its nice to hear what the band have done whilst bored in the studio, its not anything of proper interest and I won't be putting BITW or the Better's on my ipod.

I think the issue is this band IS Axl. He's the draw, he's what we want to hear. Fresh vocals, fresh songs etc. Going Down ticks that box to a slight degree.

I'm very eager to hear the re worked This I Love. I thought that song totally missed what it could and should have been. It required different vocal styles to that employed on the released version and i'm hoping he's nailed it on this new version people seem to have.

Its always nice to get something new and this board is a far better place when there is fresh conversation. However I agree, Going Down aside, there's nothing new. An amateur with talent could record over the old vocals so although its nice to hear what the band have done whilst bored in the studio, its not anything of proper interest and I won't be putting BITW or the Better's on my ipod.

I think the issue is this band IS Axl. He's the draw, he's what we want to hear. Fresh vocals, fresh songs etc. Going Down ticks that box to a slight degree.

I'm very eager to hear the re worked This I Love. I thought that song totally missed what it could and should have been. It required different vocal styles to that employed on the released version and i'm hoping he's nailed it on this new version people seem to have.

i agree with this and what Crash Diet said. this board gets a shot in the arm everytime a leak happens which is awesome to see and discuss. Axl is the one driving the car indeed but i'm also interested in what the other members can bring to the table on every new song we hear. hope we get to hear Atlas; Zodiac; Idles of March; Okla; Soulmonster; Down By The Ocean; General etc on CD II in the future.

Edited by jrockstr

His vocals on the reworked TiL are much (a whole octave) higher. They're pretty cool from the small snippet I've heard.

His vocals on the reworked TiL are much (a whole octave) higher. They're pretty cool from the small snippet I've heard.

Looking forward to it

(esp. if he recorded in 2010 rock3 )

I had a thought. Since CD we've had 5 leaks. Three of them are Better, one is a remix and once is a Tommy song.

But what bugs me is that three of them are Better and 4 of them (three Better's and BITW) use older vocal tracks. I could see BBF or Brain doing something with Better before it was actually released since they were in the band at the time (although I think this was all done post-CD, but I might be wrong). But it also means that DJ, who wasn't in the band pre-CD, was bored enough to re-work an old track and used an old vocal track. Blood In The Water was also a mix of an older song (Prostitute) with just one sentence of what probably is a vocal from another older song. So since CD, this is what's been keeping these guys busy.

I can't help but being quite bothered that the band is apparently SO bored that they're all re-working old tracks. What we got, except Going Down, is essentially recycled GnR material made on the initiative of (ex) band members other than Axl. In fact it seems like Axl really didn't do anything at all on these. The Better's and BITW seem to be Brain, Ron and DJ and Going Down seems to have been Tommy's thing.

Of course I'm happy we got something new, but if you really think about it, we barely got anything new.

As happy as I am that we can listen to some unheard stuff, it's also another example of the sad state Guns n' Roses is in...

And that makes me kind of sad. Does anybody else agree here?

No. A new song, a great acoustic version of a song. I'll take it. I guess I could find something to cry and whine about, but why?

In hearing these, I'm really bothered by the fact that Axl apparently hasn't recorded any new vocal tracks in the past 8-9 years.

Even if TIL is an octave higher, I'd wager that this will be nothing more than a discarded vocal take from the original sessions.

In hearing these, I'm really bothered by the fact that Axl apparently hasn't recorded any new vocal tracks in the past 8-9 years.

Even if TIL is an octave higher, I'd wager that this will be nothing more than a discarded vocal take from the original sessions.

Maybe, but it doesn't sound like it to me. Again, I haven't heard the whole thing so just speculating, but it sounds like it was recorded specifically for this track.

In a "Mickey Mouse" way or a "how the hell are you singing like that" way?!

Maybe, but it doesn't sound like it to me. Again, I haven't heard the whole thing so just speculating, but it sounds like it was recorded specifically for this track.
Doesn't that sort of add to my original point of this thread: Why the flying fuck are they more busy re-working tracks that came out in 2008, rather than working on new tracks? And why does it seem like Axl is the one in the band least involved in all of it? That's not crying and whining (like some dude said), that's a valid question. Why aren't they moving forward? It bugs me! I'm sorry that I'm not happily taking every note Axl can fart out, but I for one would not pay money for some rehashed stuff even if it came out. It'd feel like bending over for Mr Rose to much tbh. It's not THAT much of an unreasonable expectation. At the very least make it some old stuff we haven't heard yet.

Oh, and like I've said before - this just adds to the basic view that Axl simply doesn't care about any of this band, the music and their following anymore. And that pisses me off tbh.

How do you know he hasnt recorded new vocals?

Heard the "new" Better tracks yet?

Heard the "new" Better tracks yet?

Yup, also heard Goin Down, and HV has said theres new vocals on Til.

I'm not saying that the vocal isn't new.

It could very well be something our ears have never heard before, a vocal take from a possible mix or variation we've never heard.

Looking at history, when you consider that every leak we've ever heard has the same basic vocal takes as the finished record, as does the "new" Better, odds are...

Hope we have the chance to hear it sometime.

In a "Mickey Mouse" way or a "how the hell are you singing like that" way?!

Definitely the latter.