Little bit of extra info about the new tracks

highvoltage

Not sure if it was worth it's own thread, but a little extra info I found out about these tracks:

- The intro to Goin' Down is written and performed by BBF and Robin. The high riff is Ron, the other is Robin Finck!

- Bumblefoot recorded the acoustic Better during his Barefoot EP sessions (2008):

Pretty unmistakably similar guitar tone to the acoustic Better. I'll see if I can find any other little tidbits and post them in here. :)

EDIT:

- Going down also features Buckethead (at the end), but Ron plays the majority of the lead/rhythm licks

• Like 3

Not sure if this has been posted, but russ got us this bit of info too:

The solo on Going Down is Ron fretless - the rhythm and leads throughout the song are Ron, but the killswitch at the end is definitely Buckethead.

So Going Down features Robin, BBF and Buckethead at a minimum as far as we know!

Guys, listen to the song with headphones.

The killswitch at the ending is obviously still from Ron Thal's guitar layer. Maybe he was using that double neck guitar...

Also, like the main vocals, the solo is also a duet between Ron and probably Robin Finck (the first part with Wha is Robin, the second is Ron fretted guitar, the third is again Robin and finally its Ron again. And it ends with some more high notes from Robin).

Holy shit, I didn't know Going Down was that old... Kind of bummed hearing that, I was hoping they threw a song together between the 2010 tour and Rio. Still cool that Robin and Bucket have little cameos on it though. How are you certain its them though, HV?

And thanks! rock3

The killswitch at the ending is obviously still from Ron Thal's guitar layer. Maybe he was using that double neck guitar...

Also, like the main vocals, the solo is also a duet between Ron and probably Robin Finck (the first part with Wha is Robin, the second is Ron fretted guitar, the third is again Robin and finally its Ron again. And it ends with some more high notes from Robin).

are you talking about the first solo in the songs beginning?

The main solo towards the end sounds like 100% Ron to me

I think the song is from 2003/04, from the Village Gorilla Head sessions. So, fair to say it may be one of the first songs written/worked on after Bucket's departure.

Having said that, I think Richard may be doing the lead also - he did the solos on VGH back then.

No, Im talking about the main solo - starting at 3:08.

Edited by Voodoochild

I think the song is from 2003/04, from the Village Gorilla Head sessions. So, fair to say it may be one of the first songs written/worked on after Bucket's departure.

No, Im talking about the main solo - starting at 3:08.

Sounds like one guitar to me, I'll give it another listen later. Cool if true though!

Ron has confirmed that the killswitch is Buckethead. :)

Sorry, dont buy it. Its just one guitar track in the left channel. Unless Ron mixed himself with just Bucket's killswitch (it would be weird as any other guitar track is mixed in the right with the rest of the tracks), I think he either misunderstood the question or don't remember at all.

Confirmed it since it leaked? I guess he isn't neccesarily that opposed to us having the song then lol

Sorry, dont buy it. Its just one guitar track in the left channel. Unless Ron mixed himself with just Bucket's killswitch (it would be weird as any other guitar track is mixed in the right with the rest of the tracks), I think he either misunderstood the question or don't remember at all.

*Shrug* I didn't ask him the question, that's just what he told me.

It sounds like Bucket's tone to me and Ron doesn't typically use a killswitch... so I'll take Ron's word for it, personally.

So Ron didn't do the solo? Sounds like his style not bucket.

seems like Ron did the solo and bucket did the leads toward the end.i can see that, they just have a similar tone

That's what Ron inferred. He does most of the lead, he only identified the killswitch specifically as Bucket.

Maybe those Better remixes plus Going Down were meant for a Better EP/Single after DJ Ashba joined, that like the Better Video never happened.

1. Better Original Version

2. DJ Ashba remix

3. Ron acoustic

4. Better Gone

5. Going Down

And to speculate even more ;-) maybe they wanted to release some kind of remix album, since I read some post about other remixes.

Blood in the Water, This I Love remix, SR remix,...

So Ron didn't do the solo? Sounds like his style not bucket.

seems like Ron did the solo and bucket did the leads toward the end.i can see that, they just have a similar tone

That's what Ron inferred. He does most of the lead, he only identified the killswitch specifically as Bucket.

Can you tell us what else you got to know? (Regarding who's playing what, everything about the solo and/or the outro, etc)

That killswitch sounds totally like Buckethead to me. Even the tone is totally his. His guitar kicks in at 4:05 and he keeps playing until the end. Killswitch kicks in at 4:17.

Now listen to this bit... (0:31)

That's Bucket.

Edited by Bruno Poeys