Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Discussion Thread

Vincent Vega

IMO, the Lord of the Rings trilogy by Peter Jackson is the best film trilogy ever done (I don't consider the Godfather films a trilogy because I disregard Godfather 3). It's equal in quality to the original Star Wars films. I also believe the first Hobbit film was excellent. These films are based on what are pretty much the best books of all time.....

What do you feel about Peter Jackson's "Rings" series, including The Hobbit?

Miser correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you go on a massive rant last year you were going to refuse to see The Hobbit as it was one of your favourite childhood books and the reviews for it were average? What changed your mind about it?

Love The Hobbit as a book, find LotR very boring in places and a real struggle at times.

The LotR trilogy of films was great but The Hobbit was a disappointment to me but I will reserve judgement as a while until I see all three of them.

Miser correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you go on a massive rant last year you were going to refuse to see The Hobbit as it was one of your favourite childhood books and the reviews for it were average? What changed your mind about it?

Yeah. "The Hobbit officially sucks" I believe was the thread title. :lol:

I liked the Hobbit. It didn't have the same feel as the rings trilogy but like Miser, I consider that a perfect trilogy. The next two films have potential but I think splitting it into two would have been more than enough. Could end up being "like butter scraped over too much bread."

Yeah. "The Hobbit officially sucks" I believe was the thread title. :lol:

I liked the Hobbit. It didn't have the same feel as the rings trilogy but like Miser, I consider that a perfect trilogy. The next two films have potential but I think splitting it into two would have been more than enough. Could end up being "like butter scraped over too much bread."

Here we go: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/195385-the-hobbit-officially-sucks/?hl=hobbit

Guest Len B'stard

Absolute load of fuckin' cobblers, just intolerably awful. I mean lets be straight here, it's for the kids that get bullied in school and quite frankly, with taste that bad they deserve it :lol:

jokes!

I really like all 4 films and can't wait for the next one. I was suprised that they were making the hobbit a trilogy also, but after hearing they are including a lot of the epilouge from lotr, and other side stories it makes sense. I really liked how they are brining the two trilogies together, I bet Jackson doesn't leave any loose ends either.

Why all the hate for an unexpected journey? It's setting the stage for the next films. It's better than a phantom menace.

Edited by Mike420

The Hobbit was one movie I've been waiting almost a decade for, having been a big fan of the LOTR films and the original novels. I literally waited years for this film...And it apparently sucks. With the first reviews, it has a 62% rating at Metacritic, a 71% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, and the following review (SPOILERS) by Ain't It Cool News sums up the general sentiment:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59869

Bloat.

• 2 months later...

I think Peter Jackson is a fat douche tbh.

He's lost weight. Too bad being a good director went with all the fat.

I kid, but there was something missing in The Hobbit. They up the anty with the CGI. Remember Gothmog, that ugly ass pale Orc from The Return of the King? He was an effective bad guy because you can tell there's a guy behind the makeup, Azog on the other hand is like 100% CGI. Okay maybe a guy in a spandex suit with balls all over him. But the realism is lost.

Some great scenes though. Bag End when they actually got the singing to work. The Gollum scene. Gandalf lighting fires. The White Council scene was dull though. Hopefully the next two films are better.

If I were to rank all the Peter Jackson Tolkien films, A Unexpected Journey would easily be last. I mean I hope Jackson just remembers how to make a good movie during the next two.

The Hobbit films are not as mature, mostly because the book was written for children. Though a little dark for kids but it was written by a veteran of the Somme.

Exactly. Can't stand when people say The Hobbit was too lighthearted - that's exactly how it should be if they want to stick to the source material.

My only problem with the movie is the writing. Some scenes were cut that should have been included, some included that should have been cut. Like the scenes with Frodo, connecting with The Fellowship of the Ring. Should have been gone. Nerd alert but in The Fellowship of the Ring extended edition, Bilbo was writing the prologue to The Lord of the Rings. They could have had Bilbo introduce the story of the Dwarves and Smaug but trimmed down. Or have Gandalf do the intro.

If I were to rank all the Peter Jackson Tolkien films, A Unexpected Journey would easily be last. I mean I hope Jackson just remembers how to make a good movie during the next two.

I agree, but in my opinion the LOTR trilogy only got better with each film. I'm thinking it will be pretty similar with The Hobbit trilogy.