Nirvana vs. R.E.M.

Vincent Vega

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hate REM severly. That voice of Stipe is so annoying. I can't listen to it.

Shiny happy people makes me almost vomit. Afwull song.

Nirvana is way better!

Edited by MBRose
  • Like 1

Nirvana influnced more bands, trends, and pop culture. Not to mention has more quality while only releasing a few albums.

Not on the first one. I'd say thats a draw.

REM along with Sonic Youth and a few other bands WERE the epitome of DIY.

Nevermind WAS produced by a major label.

I'll give you trends and overall cultural impact..

Anyway, to answer the question.....again, I have to say draw.

REM has more albums that I enjoy, but I wouldn't rank any REM album above Nevermind.

Nirvana influnced more bands, trends, and pop culture. Not to mention has more quality while only releasing a few albums.

REM has more albums that I enjoy, but I wouldn't rank any REM album above Nevermind.

I would say without a doubt Nirvana influnced more bands. Whether or not they deserve it, Nirvana single handedly is responsible for the entire grunge movement. Smells like teen spirit litterally got how many bands record deals? Just by that alone their influence was enormous. I'm not trying to sell REM short, but Nirvana's impact is up there with the beatles, Hendrix, Elvis, Bob Dylan, and other elite artists. Look at a band like Puddle of Mudd, they are a complete Nirvana clone, and their are many more.

Again I am not saying Nirvana deserves all the credit they are given, or they are as good as the beatles or anything like that. I am just telling you what I obsereved as an American youth during the whole grunge movement. Nirvana were freaking HUGE. Having said that, I can't even hardly listen to them anymore. They are like the lynyrd skynyrd of my generation. Smells like teen spirit is like sweet home alabama. I just can't listen to it anymore. I loved the band so much as a teen, that I almost hate them as an adult. But I still respect what they did.

I would say without a doubt Nirvana influnced more bands. Whether or not they deserve it, Nirvana single handedly is responsible for the entire grunge movement. Smells like teen spirit litterally got how many bands record deals? Just by that alone their influence was enormous. I'm not trying to sell REM short, but Nirvana's impact is up there with the beatles, Hendrix, Elvis, Bob Dylan, and other elite artists. Look at a band like Puddle of Mudd, they are a complete Nirvana clone, and their are many more.

Dude REM got Nirvana a deal.

/thread man...for real.

Nirvana are more like The Pixies meet Black Sabbath.

Automatic for the People is as good as Nevermind.

Obviously REM has more records. And more well known songs.

Shiny happy people, its the end of the world as we know it, Everybody Hurts, Man on the Moon.

Nirvana has Teen Spirit.

Im not a fan but REM are better.

I've listened to a couple of REM albums considered among their best. Really can't get into them much outside of a few songs. So many that just feel like throwaways.

Went with Nirvana.

This. I'm not a big fan of either band but if nothing else, Nirvana had a much higher good:bad song ratio.

/thread man...for real.[/quote

I thought it was Sonic Youth who got them deal with Geffen.

Id compare Nirvana to the Ramones really. Who has the best dumb songs.

Guest Len B'stard

/thread man...for real.

Sonic Youth got Nirvana a deal. Actually, quite frankly, more is made of that than should be, not a lot happened other than Sonic Youth going hey you should sign these guys and them reccomending Nirvana to their manager, the deal was gotten by A&R people getting their fuckin' socks blown off at Nirvana gigs.

And The Ramones were not dumb/did not make dumb music.

Edited by sugaraylen

Nirvana. I just like them more. I can pretty much put in Bleach, Nevermind, or In Utero on any given day and just let it play. As good as REM is, I need to be in a mood for them. I would call both of them great bands though.

Guest Len B'stard

Radio Free Europe is one of the best songs of any band ever. Christ, that could be a Nirvana song.

Edited by sugaraylen