Nirvana vs. R.E.M.

Vincent Vega

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

funny, 5 - 10 years ago i would say Nirvana at a heartbeat, REM had soporific effect on me, now it's quite the opposite. and by the way Mike is a godfather of Kurt's daughter. and i like how he announced that REM is no more, saying something like "the greatest skill in attending the party is knowing when it's time to leave"

Guest Len B'stard

funny, 5 - 10 years ago i would say Nirvana at a heartbeat, REM had soporific effect on me, now it's quite the opposite. and by the way Mike is a godfather of Kurt's daughter. and i like how he announced that REM is no more, saying something like "the greatest skill in attending the party is knowing when it's time to leave"

And he was fuckin' spot on with that comment, if a little misunderstanding about his own sell by date.

And he was fuckin' spot on with that comment, if a little misunderstanding about his own sell by date.

i'm not sure if i got you right :) but if you mean Stipe was a little too late with that comment, you are probably right, but i think it's better that way then rushing to leave the party Kurt style. because you know sometimes i wonder what would Kurt become if he didn't kill himself? how many brilliant songs he could write?

you're right about how i meant it.

i was struggling :)

Don't mess with sugaraylen, he's kind of a big deal around here...

mess? :rofl-lol: you know english is not my first language and he uses lots of slang that sometimes is difficult to understand

Edited by netcat

you're right about how i meant it.

i was struggling :)

Don't mess with sugaraylen, he's kind of a big deal around here...

:rofl-lol: you know english is not my first language and he uses lots of slang that sometimes is difficult to understand

That is because he is a bad ass, make no mistake. You might find him an intimidating presence at first but don't worry he does that to all the newbies....

REM is probably the most blandest band ever besides U2. How many people did REM influence to pick up a guitar?

You can't argue with record sales, they tell the story.

No they don't. The Ramones, for example, didn't sell any records but yet inspired people to start their own bands that lead to, at that time, a new musical movement.

REM is probably the most blandest band ever besides U2. How many people did REM influence to pick up a guitar?

You can't argue with record sales, they tell the story.

No they don't. The Ramones, for example, didn't sell any records but yet inspired people to start their own bands that lead to, at that time, a new musical movement.

To me they were a band that bridged sounds of the past with the present, be direct or abstract with the lyrics, and didn't adhere to just one style of music. Stipe had something about him that no one had seen in a lead singer, he wasn't technically great but influence just means some lives were impacted by what they wrote. Did REM create a rush to go to buy gear? No, they weren't that type of band.

People put bands together for different reasons, they don't all have the same agenda on what they want as performers, but it all starts out as people who sort of know each other finding themselves in a room together one day with instruments in their hands, figuring out if it's going to work or not.

I think sales figures are a bad example of trying to say a band is great. It means a lot of people like it and it was well-promoted, but time determines whether or not it actually is good, or people were manipulated into getting it. Sometimes they were in the right place, right time, had the right look and were willing to be told what to do. REM played by their own rules, for better and worse.

Stipe has said that if he became as famous as Kurt did so quickly hed be dead too. REM built up slowly.

I think GNR had to deal with similar thing. Suddenly there are expectations. Its hard to embrace your success without taking the pressure.

I did feel that In Utero showed that Kurt could write and create about what he was going through. I just it wasnt going to end for him, how he felt about his place in the culture was untenable. How long can you legitimately fight a system which is giving you a lavish lifestyle.

Stipe has said that if he became as famous as Kurt did so quickly hed be dead too. REM built up slowly.

I think GNR had to deal with similar thing. Suddenly there are expectations. Its hard to embrace your success without taking the pressure.

I did feel that In Utero showed that Kurt could write and create about what he was going through. I just it wasnt going to end for him, how he felt about his place in the culture was untenable. How long can you legitimately fight a system which is giving you a lavish lifestyle.

Kurt had his demons before Nirvana started, they just got worse the more famous they got.

REM coming up the way they did, they were able to deal with fame and success, but I think the pressure on Stipe was more about him being openly gay, and trying to avoid having that eclipse REM as a whole. Eventually he realized he had an obligation to his friends and fans to open up about it.

Kurt had his demons before Nirvana started, they just got worse the more famous they got.

REM coming up the way they did, they were able to deal with fame and success, but I think the pressure on Stipe was more about him being openly gay, and trying to avoid having that eclipse REM as a whole. Eventually he realized he had an obligation to his friends and fans to open up about it.

It's one issue, Kurt had the pressure to follow up Nevermind, deal with his drug problem at the same time as being married to Courtney and having a baby right in the media spotlight. from a year before, being unheard of nobody touring with Tad. but yeah heroin kills.

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard

I never knew Stipe was gay.

Same. Apparently he considers himself queer, not gay, straight, or bisexual and has had relationships with men and women.

Hows that again? :lol: