Does Going Down has potential to be a hit?

ManetsBR

Its good, a solid offering, but I doubt very much it would make mainstream radio let alone become a hit (in the UK).

http://www.gigwise.com/news/83655/listen-new-guns-n-roses-track-going-down-leaks-online

Looks like press are picking up on it - management must be allowing it out there.

Edited by prettytiedup88

Yup. Easily the best Gn'R song post Slash and the irony is Axl barely sings on it. This song would easily be a hit on rock radio. They should polish it up, get Axl to do the vocals and release it as a single. I think the guitar solo kinda sucks though and doesn't fi t the song. It's obviously screaming for Slash's input but it's still a cool catchy song and would do well on rock radio. Wouldn't be a mega hit but it would do well.

you guys keep saying that people won't care if Axl is not on vocals etc etc.. but I actually think that could be something that'll get people talking about it, like you see on those reviews: "Can you imagine that? Axl Rose on backing vocals!" as if he's never done that before.

Sure, people will talk shit and say they're releasing this because Axl can't sing anymore and such, but it could very well get people talking again and THEN release something with the signature Axl vocals

So many people despise Axl so I think they'd rather give this a chance then something with Axl on lead

you guys keep saying that people won't care if Axl is not on vocals etc etc.. but I actually think that could be something that'll get people talking about it, like you see on those reviews: "Can you imagine that? Axl Rose on backing vocals!" as if he's never done that before.

Sure, people will talk shit and say they're releasing this because Axl can't sing anymore and such, but it could very well get people talking again and THEN release something with the signature Axl vocals

So many people despise Axl so I think they'd rather give this a chance then something with Axl on lead

Axl should rerecord it with him on lead vocals. Without him on lead All it will get people talking about is what I just said in my last post. The general public WILL look at this as the best GnR song post Slash and laugh that Axl isn't even the guy singing.

Stop calling it "a Tommy Stinson song", that's ridiculous and totally irrelevant to the media and radios, honestly. It doesn't matter at all.

Better is way better than Going Down, but Going Down is much more radio friendly and catchy. Better has long solos, heavy bridges and high pitched screamed verses that have absolutely no place in radios nowadays, unlike Going Down.

Lol ok, I can definitely see Going Down being number 1 on the Billboard top 100 for 20 weeks in a row.... Excuse my sarcasm.

Based on this reviews: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/201656-going-down-articles-and-reviews-on-the-media/

I think it's safe to assume that, YES, Going Down does has potential to be a hit.

Keep telling yourself that. People were RAVING about Better when i leaked and lo and behold, it was not a 'hit'. Better featured better(pun intended) lyrics, vocals, solo, riff etc AND Axl on lead vocals. You are kidding yourself if you think a Tommy Stintson song with a guest appearance by Axl will be a hit even under the GnR name.

I never once raved about Better; I knew it wouldnt do shit. Might have in '02 but not '08. I still dont like the song. And I say Going Down has a much better chance at success because it's not all whiny, depressing, and GNR-trying-to-do-NIN/Korn.

On one hand I would have to say yes, because t's a catchy song that the 'mainstream' crowd would very much appreciate the sound of , and the vocals sound excellent. On the other hand, if it would be released as a GNR song withouth Axl on vocals I´m afraid a lot of people would boycot it alltogether, despite it being very, very good. So IMHO there are two options 1) realease it under a different (project)name, or 2) let Axl do the vocals (although I like this version very, very much)

I think it does. It's the good generic rock song that NuGNR needed. Pretty much like Foo Fighter's Learn To Fly, Walk... Actually, pretty much like any rock song that becomes a hit nowadays.

I think it's safe to assume that, YES, Going Down does has potential to be a hit.

Oh yeah... it'd fit seamlessly alongside other classic GNR tracks... I could totally see it cramped in between Paradise City and November Rain on the next GH release...