Has the 'soap opera' lost its flavour for anyone else?

GivenToFly

I am turning 5000 with this post and, as round numbers invite retrospection, I was looking back on my time on this forum.

Part of the appeal of reading this forum regularly (for me and for others) used to be in watching the insanity that seems to follow Guns N' Roses at every turn. It felt like tuning in to an ongoing story, like watching a tv show. And it was truly fun. But every story needs to have an ending and I had always hoped – expected even! silly me… – that with the release of Chinese Democracy the insanity would end and GNR would become a functioning entity. That didn't happen and the antics now to me just seem sad. While seeing dancing midgets on stage in 2007 was an incredibly funny Spinal Tap-ish moment stuff like that now would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I occasionally read posts here where people say they don't really have any expectations of the band anymore and they're only here for the drama. To me the drama has lost all its flavour; the story just isn't appealing anymore. Does anybody else feel the same?

Axl shows up on time, performs his set, the same set, and the tour never ends. One has to guess he wants a record deal, and is showing he can be prompt and proper. The question is, after the whole Chinese fiasco is there a company out there willing to take such a risk on an ageing rock star ?

Axl shows up on time, performs his set, the same set, and the tour never ends. One has to guess he wants a record deal, and is showing he can be prompt and proper. The question is, after the whole Chinese fiasco is there a company out there willing to take such a risk on an ageing rock star ?

I don't think he's doing it for a record deal. I think he's doing it because he's kind of bored with the music, so he's finally started showing up and doing his job just to get it done. No reason for him to go on late anymore when he could be doing more important things with his time before and after. Back in the day, the important thing going on at 2 am was the Guns N Roses concert. Now, its the afterparty and enjoying the luxuries of fame. Hence, he goes on relatively on time, performs the same set, and keeps doing so because its easy for him. Thats just my take at least. I don't think it has anything to do with him proving himself as someone that can get things done. He lost that right awhile ago.

This is an excellent thread, and something that I've been thinking about for a while. I wholeheartedly agree ... part of the appeal of the Chinese Democracy era was the soap opera nature of it. What is going to happen next? When will Axl send his next fax? Who's the new guitarist? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I had also hoped that with the CD-Monkey off his back, Axl would relax and start releasing music without trying to reinvent rock and roll. But alas, the drama has simply continued, but without the mystique. Sure we all wonder about all those unreleased songs, but to tear down a band and replace it with a new one twice, with only one album to show for it along with an endless nameless tour. What exactly was the point? It's become embarrassing, and dare I say it ... boring.

• Like 1

Guns before CD incl. the CD lineup = artistic, controversal, entertaining, mysterious, intresting

Guns after CD = corporate, predictable, boring

They lost me a bit with DJ and then completely with those lame ass concerts. They used to be one of the best live bands in the world, going to a Gn'R show was something special, something you would tell your kids about when you're getting older. Today I'm ashamed to bring my friends because of the emberassing corporate 80's snortfest they put on. He could have been late and take 20 years to make a record or whatever I loved him because it was real, but when he gave into the corporate greatest hits audience and gave up on art, his vision and himself, yeah, basically, right then an there he lost me. I stick around hoping to find some leaks but I don't expect anything from this band anymore. I'm glad I got to see them before the album was out.

• Like 1

I've often wondered what exactly motivates Axl. It isn't money, fame, or notoriety. He certainly seems to have no desire for attention. The only thing I could think of was the desire to keep topping himself, by his own standard. A more grandiose, broad sound to the music. Longer shows, concerts in exotic locations where nobody else plays. As time goes on though I've seen the passion wane. Every move he makes onstage is practically choreographed. You can watch video after video after about 2010 and he's in the same spots during the same songs. I think for all his trouble putting CD together, and to still be mocked and have it called a failure in virtually every article that makes even passing mention of it, he's probably done spending his time and money going out on a limb for any grand visions. He may also not want to be in the position where he has to either play more new material live and drop some classics, or stick to classics and tacitly admit his new music is irrelevant. That's all speculation on my part though, who really knows. I think he's a really interesting, eccentric character who stuck to his guns against crazy pressure, for better or worse, and while I wish for more out of him I have a great deal of respect for him regardless. I don't feel like he owes me or anyone else anything, but I damn sure would appreciate it. I guess to go back to the original topic though; the soap opera is less interesting at the moment, but I haven't lost interest.

• Like 1

Guns before CD incl. the CD lineup = artistic, controversal, entertaining, mysterious, intresting

They lost me a bit with DJ and then completely with those lame ass concerts. They used to be one of the best live bands in the world, going to a Gn'R show was something special, something you would tell your kids about when you're getting older. Today I'm ashamed to bring my friends because of the emberassing corporate 80's snortfest they put on. He could have been late and take 20 years to make a record or whatever I loved him because it was real, but when he gave into the corporate greatest hits audience and gave up on art, his vision and himself, yeah, basically, right then an there he lost me. I stick around hoping to find some leaks but I don't expect anything from this band anymore. I'm glad I got to see them before the album was out.

Great post, completely agree to be fair.

I've often wondered what exactly motivates Axl. It isn't money, fame, or notoriety. He certainly seems to have no desire for attention. The only thing I could think of was the desire to keep topping himself, by his own standard. A more grandiose, broad sound to the music. Longer shows, concerts in exotic locations where nobody else plays. As time goes on though I've seen the passion wane. Every move he makes onstage is practically choreographed. You can watch video after video after about 2010 and he's in the same spots during the same songs. I think for all his trouble putting CD together, and to still be mocked and have it called a failure in virtually every article that makes even passing mention of it, he's probably done spending his time and money going out on a limb for any grand visions. He may also not want to be in the position where he has to either play more new material live and drop some classics, or stick to classics and tacitly admit his new music is irrelevant. That's all speculation on my part though, who really knows. I think he's a really interesting, eccentric character who stuck to his guns against crazy pressure, for better or worse, and while I wish for more out of him I have a great deal of respect for him regardless. I don't feel like he owes me or anyone else anything, but I damn sure would appreciate it. I guess to go back to the original topic though; the soap opera is less interesting at the moment, but I haven't lost interest.

I firmly believe he's done with it all and wants to retire and the last two years of touring happened because he needed the money or because of contractual obligations.

When you use the phrase 'soap opera', it would insinuate that Axl conciously tries to operate a band dysfunctionally in order to provide entertainment. In reality, the baffling way GNR does things owes itself to Axl's rapid, unpredictable changes of opinion. The hysteria is not a contrived situation, it is the product of having somebody who is bi-polar leading something. All management and GNR can do is hope for Axl to be having a good day.

Great post, completely agree to be fair.

Same here.