Ain't Goin Down--Opinions?

Vincent Vega

What are your opinions on "Ain't Goin Down"? It was a song first written in the AFD era, then demoed during the UYI era but passed over, and it was still being worked on and retooled by the band as late as 1994 with consideration for release (according to Gilby; it was the last song he worked on as a member of GN'R). They even rerecorded it and released it for the 1994 GN'R Pinball pinball machine. You can tell it's a re-record because Axl's vocals are def not '85-'91 era:

What's your feelings on the song?

And how do you think Ain't Goin Down compares with Goin Down? Which is the better song?

Edited by Vincent Vega

What are your opinions on "Ain't Goin Down"? It was a song first written in the AFD era, then demoed during the UYI era but passed over, and it was still being worked on and retooled by the band as late as 1994 with consideration for release (according to Gilby; it was the last song he worked on as a member of GN'R). They even rerecorded it and released it for the 1994 GN'R Pinball pinball machine. You can tell it's a re-record because Axl's vocals are def not '85-'91 era:

And how do you think Ain't Goin Down compares with Goin Down? Which is the better song?

Aint goin down is a cool song. Its obviously in the realm of sleaze rock that AFD GNR era was known and loved for.

Goin down is an unfinished product which also is a Stinson song, hence, cannot be judged to any song of the "loved" era of classic GNR.

If you compare it to 'Just another Sunday' then I'd give Goin down the winner's spot.

It's the first sign of Axl needing to over work on something. It should've made appetite, but he kept working on it until the end of old gnr.

Going down and Ain't goin down are two completely different sounding songs and bands, so I wont compare them.

So was this released before or after Sympathy for the Devil? I never knew the pinball machine was done in '94 -- I thought it was around 1990.

It's a decent Slashy riff-rawker. Could have fit in well on the Illusions. It also represents Axl's vocals at their most distinctive, almost bordering on self-parody I guess...

So was this released before or after Sympathy for the Devil? I never knew the pinball machine was done in '94 -- I thought it was around 1990.

It's a decent Slashy riff-rawker. Could have fit in well on the Illusions. It also represents Axl's vocals at their most distinctive, almost bordering on self-parody I guess...

I think before. There's a Slash interview from '93 or '94 mentioning the pinball machine coming out not too far away. Gilby was fired in June 1994, Sympathy was recorded around October 1994 and released in December...He once responded to a tweet I made, saying that Ain't Goin Down was the last song he worked on as a member of GN'R, it was being reworked by the TSI era lineup.

I do think it should've been released even as just a B-Side to say one of the TSI singles. It'd have been nice if GN'R's last single was an original song.

• 2 years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7xEiZN2wk4

This is the non-pinball version. Can anyone date this recording? 1990?

Quoting your two year old post to respond... but that has to be 1990.

It's UYI era guitar, but I'd bet my house that's Steven drumming.

Either way, I was never into this tune.

No, Matt is at the start counting off 1, 1, 1, 2, 3. It's from '90 or '91.