The History of Punk Rock...next stop, Toronto

Zint

This is a trailer for a new documentary on the early years of punk rock in Toronto.

In the beginning, the very beginning, there were three key cities where the scene took off, New York City, London England and Toronto Canada.

This documentary has been in the works since around 2006. I've been following the progress, waiting patiently.

This past May I attended a cast and crew screening in Toronto at a seedy (but very cool) indi theatre.

Last year I became peripherally involved in the project. I provided them with some footage of bands that they did not have in their posession. A lot of that footage made it in to the movie.

I also provided them with many photos and helped them get the proper clearance they needed from the artists involved.

The documentary not only covers the early scene in Toronto, the scope of it expands to include other key cities in Southwestern Ontario, namely, Hamilton and London.

London is where I first got involved in the scene.

The song you hear at the beginning of the trailer is a band from London, Ontario band called the Demics.

That song meant a lot of things to different people, to me it meant escape (or the longing for).

They were the first punk band I ever saw live, that gig changed my life forever.

I think of it often.

I was able to provide the directors with the only copy of live footage of the Demics that they could find.

It felt good sitting in the theatre watching that footage on the big screen, they fucking deserved to be there.

I also provided them with connections to several people they wanted to interview, many of whom made it in to the film.

I had an interview filmed as well, I may or may not be briefly in there at some point. :tongue2:

I know they edited about 8 minutes out after that initial screening so who knows.

The film has been shown at a few private screenings and recently made it's world debut in London Ontario, with a few of the original bands playing during intermission.

Yes, intermission, it runs damn near three and a half hours long.

Next up is a screening at the Toronto International Film Festival.

From there, the floodgates open.

I know len has been following along with me on this journey during many conversations, but here it is!

Anyone seriously (or casually) interested in the history of punk rock, I guarantee you, this is essential viewing.. if you want the full picture of ground zero of punk rock.

It wasn't just NYC and London England man...trust me.

It's been getting excellent reviews so far, it comes highly recommended.

I'm intensely proud and happy for the directors, their diligence and hard work is quite evident.

I'm quite honoured to have been able to assist in any way I could.

See this docu if you can, it's worth it.

The movie's catchphrase: "They Did Something Different"...indeed, they (we) did.

• Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

There is also this stereotype type that all the real cool quirky stuff just came out of NY and London and all the others were like...provincial mohawk and leather jacket jobs...and they really really really fuckin' weren't..

• Like 1

The leather jacket, chains, mohawk uniform didn't kick in until after the timeframe of this film.

Everyone did what felt right to them, it was about being unique.

I just think NY and London had more media attention at the time it was going on and record companies were right there with contracts in hand.

That didn't make Toronto any less important. ;)

Funny thing is though, the first Toronto band to sign to a major label (The Diodes) were pretty much shunned by the community.

They took a lot of flak for that.

Even all these years later, you can sense a lot of derision towards this band in the interviews conducted for this film.

This looks great.

There's too many punk documentaries that all have pretty much the same stories, the same talking heads, the same bands, the exact same locations. They act as if everywhere else just waited, followed suit and fell into place.

To be honest, I'm pretty ignorant about the Canadian side of it apart from what Zint has posted in the past, but I always love reading his posts about it. It must feel good having been able to provide that stuff for them.

Edited by Chinaski

Guest Len B'stard

This looks great.

There's too many punk documentaries that all have pretty much the same stories, the same talking heads, the same bands, the exact same locations. They act as if everywhere else just waited, followed suit and fell into place.

To be honest, I'm pretty ignorant about the Canadian side of it apart from what Zint has posted in the past, but I always love reading his posts about it. It must feel good having been able to provide that stuff for them.

Theres as many independent small times ones about local scenes that no ones seen hardly. Like the docu american hardcore has like little bits on all these little local scenes, most have its own little docu knocking about if you look for em, many of em are on youtube. Edited by sugaraylen

American Hardcore is a great one.

What I found really intriguing about the Toronto one, it plays out in different stages, from inception to today, wherein you get a feel for some of the ramifications and end results. It's not glossed over. They wisely used the interviews to tell the story, and it's not all band members, it's the community in general. They don't just wax nostalgic, they leave the warts in there. Surprisingly, grudges held then are still held, and it shows. There is room for reflection and they do reflect...honestly.

It's a select community exposed for better and worse.

Guest Len B'stard

I been waiting for this fuckin' thing for SOOOOO long :lol: I've always got a few documentaries that i'm either waiting or scouring for. Beware of Mr Baker was one i finally got my hands on a coupla months ago, the next are this one and The Rise & Fall of The Clash, which i can't find nowhere. It's on ebay for like 40 quid but i've never had a 40 quid that i didn't have more pressing uses for lately, some Japanese release or something, it's like fuck me, it's the fucking Clash, release it in England you cunts, what, you don't think there's a fuckin' audience for it over here?!?!

Guest Len B'stard

It's gonna be a lot fuckin' longer too if it's only just premiered for you :lol:

BTW, anyone reading this thread, as a service to the medium of popular music, check out the band Teenage Head, you owe it to yourself

See, amazing, just like I told you :) Get the album Frantic City. Also check out The Subhumans, The Viletones, The Demics, they are the fuckin' dogs bollocks.

It's gonna be a lot fuckin' longer too if it's only just premiered for you :lol:

Toronto International Film Festival in a few weeks, then it goes from there.

Any uk film festivals, indi, docu etc. that might be interested?

Guest Len B'stard

Christ knows man, i could certainly have a dig around although i'm hardly like, knee deep in the Indie film industry over here :lol: If they could and did i'd be in the front fuckin' row though.

• 1 year later...

Attention len, and any other interested potential viewers, this documentary has just been released on DVD (not sure what is happening with bluray).

They are also preparing a Vimeo release for viewing or streaming to follow soon.

Anyone interested in the very early days of punk, this is worth checking out.

www.thelastpogo.net/blog/

Tried buying one but the paypal function aint working :( Says you can pay by cash or money order but i presume thats gonna take fuckin' ages getting to me so I'm gonna hang on til the evening and see if the link ain't fixed up, cheers though man, certainly been a long time comin'!

Don't buy yet len. I just clicked the shop link and they don't have it listed there yet. What you saw was a short documents made in '78 called The Last Pogo. What you want is The Last Pogo Jumps Again, that's the title of the new full length docu.

Also len, be sure you buy a version that you can play in your region. It might be best if you wait for the digital purchase option through Vimeo.

It's listed for sale now len, but hang on..it's Region 1 locked. That means you would need a universal dvd player to watch it.

Not a wise decision to not press region free discs, but they really hadn't considered it.

They are looking to release a digital version through Vimeo, so I'll keep you posted and you can get it through that when it comes out.

Unless of course, you have a universal dvd player.

To me, punk music will always be the folk art indigenous to my people.

I've seen them talk about folk art on Canadian Pickers/Cash Cowboys - and we have NOTHING like that here, instead the only thing that I can think of that is remotely like folk art isn't some bloody duck or beaver carving or painting of a field; it's Punk music. The Clash, The Damned, The Sex Pistols, even BritPop band Republica had it in their stuff, it is what it is, folk art (for these parts).

Just seems weird to me to think otherwise about punk.

In essence, it's the local culture we've sold ya! :lol:

Edited by Snake-Pit