With "Chinese Democracy", did Axl do what Trent Reznor did with the "Broken" EP?

Guest NGOG

The "Broken" EP was only released when it was because Trent Reznor was pressured by his then record label TVT. In protest Trent refused to do any touring and instead began working on the next album. The situation with "Chinese Democracy" appears to echo that.

Except for the fact that all Axl seems to have done is tour.

Obviously I'm talking about the immediate aftermath of the album where Axl didn't appear publicly for an entire year.

The "Broken" EP was only released when it was because Trent Reznor was pressured by his then record label TVT. In protest Trent refused to do any touring and instead began working on the next album. The situation with "Chinese Democracy" appears to echo that.

In what universe is Axl working on a next album?

Also, he toured CD in 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. Sadly.

Edited by username

In what universe is Axl working on a next album?

Also, he toured CD in 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. Sadly.

Blatantly I wasn't drawing any comparison with regards what you have specifically pointed out. I am merely illustrating how Axl isn't the first high profile musician to reject the terms of a release.

Again, maybe you should read what I am saying. "Chinese Democracy" was released in 2008 therefore any tour before that point is irrelevant to what I'm saying. For an entire year after the record's release, which we suspect was in part forced by Interscope, Axl went into hiding. When he eventually did tour, all hope of viable promotion was gone.

Also, Broken EP is good. Chinese Democracy, while it has a few moments, is a mess.

If Chinese Democracy was like Broken EP. with only thought out tightly executed songs and minimal filler, Chinese Democracy would be fucking great.

As it is, chinese democracy is a two-stars-out-of-five affair.

Just look at the 3 separate intros to the simple song Chinese Democracy. it fucking sucks.

Also, Broken EP is good. Chinese Democracy, while it has a few moments, is a mess.

If Chinese Democracy was like Broken EP. with only thought out tightly executed songs and minimal filler, Chinese Democracy would be fucking great.

As it is, chinese democracy is a two-stars-out-of-five affair.

Just look at the 3 separate intros to the simple song Chinese Democracy. it fucking sucks.

I completely disagree. The end of CITR is a bit of a "mess," but other than that, it's a great album, IMHO. I also don't see much in common between Broken and Chinese Democracy, stylistically or in any other way.

Man, you can't overlook the 90's retrofuturistic fail intro for Chinese Democracy.

The whole album would be a bit respectable if you'd cut that spooky shit out and just start the thing from where finck's nine inch nails -loaned guitar riff kicks in.

I mean, fuck. Listen to the two Savage Garden albums from the mid to late nineties. THOSE kinds of records have that synth shit in the beginning.

There's prob. more in common with The Fragile and Chinese Democracy, probably even a few months of overlap of both albums being worked on at the same time, even though they were recorded in different cities.

Edited by dalsh327

i totally see your point. In the sense that an album can be thought of as an all-encompassing statement of one's personal philosophy at a given point in time, i concur. i think it's clear that for whatever reason Axl rethought that approach and entered the cycle of seemingly endless touring that he is in now. Perhaps he's waiting for some sort of moment of clarity to move forward, or maybe the industry just beat him down completely.