Has Axl not forgotten his own advice?

Vincent Vega

In a 2000 interview with Rolling Stone, Axl summarized the demise of the old band by using an adage: "Never buy a car with your friends." That in Old GN'R, everyone wanted their hands on the wheel and because of this, the car drove off a cliff, metaphorically.

But now he has new "friends" handling the wheel with him in Guns--With Team Brazil going from simply being his moral/emotional support to actually being in charge of him and running his business affairs as his management. I mean has he forgotten his own standpoint--never buy a car with your friends? Never buy a car with your pseudo-Mother, either.

I'm sure Team Brazil only does what Axl is Willing to do or advises them to do. Like them or not they've accomplished more as Axl's manager since Azoff got Chinese released. Problem is I doubt they will ever push Axl, they represent his views and wants (at least that my guess)

The difference is that his old friends sometimes had different opinions than Axl (in essence wanted to steer the car in different directions at times) whilst his new friends steer the car in whatever direction Axl tells them.

Some people would call the latter yes men and not true friends.

Edited by Facekicker

I'm sure Team Brazil only does what Axl is Willing to do or advises them to do. Like them or not they've accomplished more as Axl's manager since Azoff got Chinese released. Problem is I doubt they will ever push Axl, they represent his views and wants (at least that my guess)

this

Problem is I doubt they will ever push Axl

You mean there wouldn't be tons of other bands lined up to bring Team Brazil on board to manage them if they had a falling out with their big meal ticket (Axl).

Of course they are not going to push him. They are financial leaches, and will go to great links to see to it that nothing stands between them and Axl's bank account. To think they would ever give him good or frank advice is absurd considering they have nothing without him.

Azoff can push Axl because if he says FU the guy has a million other options.

Team Brazil is back to cleaning toilets if they ever lost Axl, so that by definition insures they are nothing more than yes men desperate to hang on to their meal ticket at all costs.

Axl picked a terrible anology. A band is not a car. Cars are best driven by individuals. A band by definition is a group of individuals acting together. A successful band are individuals that act well together. Let me think of some successful examples of successfull friend bands... Led Zepplin, Queen, Motley Crue, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Gnr 85-93.

Axl picked a terrible anology. A band is not a car. Cars are best driven by individuals. A band by definition is a group of individuals acting together. A successful band are individuals that act well together. Let me think of some successful examples of successfull friend bands... Led Zepplin, Queen, Motley Crue, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Gnr 85-93.

Well, some of those bands broke up too.

Led Zeppilin broke up after John Bohnam died. I recently read an article in Rolling Stone magazine, with Jimmy Page and he said that after their drummer died, a few months went by, because the band was grieving, but then Robert Plant announced the end to LZ. Jimmy Page said he was shocked and hurt and never through or intended for the band to end.

Queen lost Freddie Mercury never could replace him.

Motley Crue fired Vince back in the 90's and went on and then he came back. They are friends yeah, but Tommy and Vince have had some issues.

Metallica, lost their bass player, dave Mustaine left because of differences and they used Newstad as a punching bag for years. He won't admit to it because he's still making money off Metallica.

Rolling Stones lost Brian Jones early on, replaced him and went on even though Mick and Keith actually can't stand each other.

Last but not least The Beatles. John and Paul wrote songs that will live on forever, but the band broke up and never looked back. They all had successful solo careers and then John Lennon was murdered and George Harrison died of cancer.

I think every rock band has had their problems and some go on and some don't. GNR didn't go on because I think they had some strong personalities and drugs and drinking didn't help matters.

I think Axl cared most about GNR and that's why he fought for where he wanted the band to go. The others were happy with AFD. Which is one of the best rock albums ever, but Axl wanted to go in a different direction and I don't think the others really cared one way or the other and like I said the drugs and drinking didn't help any.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that Axl isn't surrounding himself with yes men but it seems to be the case. Personally, I don't know "team brazil" I have very little in terms of info on them, all I know is that Beta works closely with Axl and she has managed to get the rest of her family under Axls wing.

As a bystander it looks odd, I don't understand it. His thought process might be along the lines of "professional managers are sharks and they just want a reunion and to get the better of me, Beta and her family care about me and will look out for my best interests". if that's in fact accurate there's points in favour of both arguments... the main issue is friends and family usually have trouble saying no to you, especially when you pay their wages.

As I've heard several times watching interviews "Axls not going to give someone else control of his life... yada, yada" he's still the train conductor but I think he's dividing up the workload.