Flashback...Adler implodes at Farm Aid

axlinkafayette

I hear nothing wrong with Adler on both songs

Did you hear how Civil War was slowing to a crawl?

Yeah, 'Down On The Farm' is not bad, but 'Civil War' is a mess.

If we never heard the studio version of CW we wouldn't think twice about the performance.

But we did, so we do.

If we never heard the studio version of CW we wouldn't think twice about the performance.

But we did, so we do.

But this goes back to the fact it was not a bad performance.

And for about 30 seconds before that, Duff is playing bass on the riser facing Adler. I suppose it could be to say hello, but it seems like he's trying to help Adler keep up.

I guess it's because he's not tight with the rest of the band at all. It's like he's trying to slow down through the whole song.

And for about 30 seconds before that, Duff is playing bass on the riser facing Adler. I suppose it could be to say hello, but it seems like he's trying to help Adler keep up.

I guess it's because he's not tight with the rest of the band at all. It's like he's trying to slow down through the whole song.

Right... When you simply listen it doesn't sound bad at all even with a few screw up, but the rest of the band probably felt that they were not exactly on the same page since they were not just listening, they were playing at the same time. A band needs chemistry to play well together...

I do think he did an AMAZING job on Down on the Farm....that song is driven at the start by the drums!

I listened to the performance and tried to concentrate on the drums and I don't hear anything wrong really... It's a live performance also it can't be absolutely perfect. I think he played very well too.

Just because Steven could play ok on Down on The Farm doesn't mean that he wasn't as fucked up as the band has claimed, or that they exaggerated his level of fucked upness. A guy can be out of his mind but still remember how to play a tune...

For example, Jimmy Page was totally out of it on heroin during Led Zeppelin's 1977 American tour--Still played, albeit sloppily.

Or Keith Richards during the band's tours in the mid-late 70s. He was zonked out of his mind on Heroin, but still played.

Or Brian Jones at the Rock N' Roll Circus in 1968. By late 1968 he was pretty much burnt out, similar to how Steven was in 1990, totally out of it...But he still played the most beautiful slide guitar parts at that show on No Expectations.

The fact is, if Steven WASN'T as messed up as has been claimed, he would NOT have been kicked out, and he wouldn't have spent the last 20-something years trying to clean up. This was one of the few decisions that wasn't led by Axl. This was one of the few departures from GN'R that was a totally united, group decision and probably was the best decision both for the band's productivity and for Steven's health.

If Steven had been kept in the band for the UYI tour, who knows when the records would've been finished if the recording of CW is any indication, and in all likelihood Steven would've been found dead in some hotel room in some country on the tour.

But we did, so we do.

It certainly wasn't a meltdown disaster as that article was sort of hyping it to be. He did mess up though.

But we did, so we do.

It certainly wasn't a meltdown disaster as that article was sort of hyping it to be. He did mess up though.

Yeah he probably forgot the fast part lol

• 3 weeks later...

For those who were fans way back can you verify if you had heard this before Steven's book came out? How true was this seeing as the rumour is that Steven didn't even write his own autobiography?

After waking up at the hospital after his first OD: I blinked. I blinked again. It was Axl. Axl got up and was now standing over me. He smiled. He looked genuinely relieved. He said, "Man, that was close, Stevie." He was the only one there. Later, a nurse told me he had sat by my bed the whole time. The other guys went ahead to do the movie but Axl stayed at the hospital. What Axl did was so noble, so selfless and surprising, that I cried, and they were tears of joy (...). There he was, blowing off a chance to be in a scene for a major movie release, to stand by me, his own personal vigil, just Axl. Goddamn Axl. Soon as I thought I had him pegged, he went and did one of the most touching, meaningful things anyone's ever done for me. That was so cool. Thanks, Axl ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, pp. 163]

If you notice in the Dead Pool.when they are on a boat or at the dock or whatever.In that scene,It's only Izzy,Slash and Duff and Slash shoots the harpoon.No where is Axl or Steven in this shot.Only scene in the movie with all five guys,is during the funeral.

So, it could very well be true.Being that Steven and Axl are both missing from the scene at the boat dock or whatever.

Funeral Scene

Boat Scene

Edited by SweetRose
  • Like 1

Never thought Adler was bad here. Listened intently now to the drumming and it's fine. Yes, CW slowed down in parts but those parts were the verses when the drums weren't providing any beat. Each chorus was pretty much the same tempo and the outro sped up to a good level. Down on the farm he did misfire on a roll but the rest had good energy.

Duff (don't get me wrong, love the Duff man) made quite a few mistakes and bum notes, and you could pick apart anyone if you wanted to.

I wonder how much of Adlers 'bad' performance is perception because of the comments made (for whatever reason) rather than the reality.

They were looking for excuses to kick him out but trying to make him look like an asshole on stage took a group effort. Axl & Slash probably didn't want Duff to help Adler, but it was a punk rock song and easy enough to cover. Izzy had his own problems to deal with to give Steven much thought at the time.

They threw him under the bus live on TV. Way to go, guys.

Orson-welles-clapping.gif

They didn't do the hit songs people were expecting them to do, the audience should've had "Used To Love Her" and "You're Crazy" like at the Bridge benefit, maybe KOHD, but I guess they were excited to debut "Civil War".