40 best live acts in the world 2013 (#35 GN'R)

Silent Jay

Wonder where the current boys would be if they didn't play the classic band's back catalog?

If they played all the music Axl has released post-classic line-up.

Personally I wouldn't mind at all. I'd go in a heartbeat if the next tour featured 20 songs created by Axl since the breakup and 4 classic songs (I suppose the majority would want jungle, scom, nov rain and p-city).

I just wonder if under that scenario, GnR would get voted as the 35th best rock show around?

Exactly

Wonder where the current boys would be if they didn't play the classic band's back catalog?

Personally I wouldn't mind at all. I'd go in a heartbeat if the next tour featured 20 songs created by Axl since the breakup and 4 classic songs (I suppose the majority would want jungle, scom, nov rain and p-city).

I just wonder if under that scenario, GnR would get voted as the 35th best rock show around?

Exactly

Bobbo, have you seen that old interview with Axl where he says that he can't imagine ever staying stagnant and playing the same songs over and over and that he has to constantly push himself/GnR forward? What do you think happened to that guy? What made his attitude change into a guy who just wants to play 25 year old songs every night and not try and push himself musically/artistically any more?

Weren't they playing basically 10 of 14 ChiDem songs all through Asia and Canada from 2009-2010? The reviews seemed jussssssssssssst fine. Next?

Exactly

Bobbo, have you seen that old interview with Axl where he says that he can't imagine ever staying stagnant and playing the same songs over and over and that he has to constantly push himself/GnR forward? What do you think happened to that guy? What made his attitude change into a guy who just wants to play 25 year old songs every night and not try and push himself musically/artistically any more?

All I know is I saw them 3 times in November of 2011, and each show had changes. When I saw them in February 2012, I heard "Civil War" and "You're Crazy" live for the first time. Things definitely changed, but people fall back on this argument because the band opens with Jungle/Easy/Brownstone and have the gall to play "Patience" "November Rain" and so many others the crowd wants to hear. Most of these people in the crowd are only coming to one show on the tour. If you give them what they want to hear, they spread the word, and that's what the band needs...positive word of mouth.

Weren't they playing basically 10 of 14 ChiDem songs all through Asia and Canada from 2009-2010? The reviews seemed jussssssssssssst fine. Next?

Exactly

All I know is I saw them 3 times in November of 2011, and each show had changes. When I saw them in February 2012, I heard "Civil War" and "You're Crazy" live for the first time. Things definitely changed, but people fall back on this argument because the band opens with Jungle/Easy/Brownstone and have the gall to play "Patience" "November Rain" and so many others the crowd wants to hear. Most of these people in the crowd are only coming to one show on the tour. If you give them what they want to hear, they spread the word, and that's what the band needs...positive word of mouth.

What you are saying has a ring of truth to it - though it certainly isn't completely factual.

Would you admit there is a difference between playing 2-3 different songs on different legs of a tour as opposed to playing 18 different songs from one night to the next night, like Bruce Springsteen did last year. Think about that. Bruce played 18 different songs on Saturday than he did on Friday. On that tour Bruce played 215 different songs.

Axl mixing things up by playing 2-3 different songs is not the same thing as a band playing 215 different songs. Axl adding old classics to the line-up is not the same as an artist digging deep and playing obscure old songs and covers.

So yes. Axl doesn't play the same 25 songs every single concert for the past five years. But to say that he mixes it up,,,,,,,,,,,,or that he is pushing himself creatively is just not the case. And I only brought that up because AXL HIMSELF said he'd never want to tour like that. But now he does. I was just curious as to why he changed his mind.

And I'm a little confused on your tour comment. All we hear on this board is how the media and critics hate Axl and don't give him a fair shot. But you are saying the media/critics were positive towards Axl in those years?

But with all that said, you didn't really answer my main question.

If Axl tours in 2014 and plays all CD songs, plus all his new covers, and only plays 4 songs from the classic line-up.......do you think his tour numbers and reviews would be on the same level as if he tours in 2014 and plays all the old classics and only doles out 4 songs from CD?

And, if on the next tour they played ZERO songs from CD, do you think attendance at shows will be effected at all?

Edited by Groghan