Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Made a few more purchases than usual as of late:

Pink Floyd - A Collection of Great Dance Songs

There's pretty much no reason for me to own this other than being a completist. I still need to grab Works when I see it, but at least that has Embryo on it.

Anderson East - Delilah

Soul band that opened for The Lone Bellow this weekend. Haven't listened to the LP yet, but they put on a great show so I'm sure I'll like it.

Rush - Roll The Bones (Counterparts & Test For Echo are being purchased tomorrow)

I like their late 80s and early to mid-90s output, so these re-issues are great for me

Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream

I absolutely LOVE the new orchestrated version of the title cut, so I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Madonna - Rebel Heart

Got an Amazon deal for $9 so I took a chance. Actually a better album than I expected

Dwight Yoakam - Second Hand Heart

Same as above, got an Amazon deal for $5. This is a really, really good album.

How are the Rush reissues? I want to pick up Presto, Roll The Bones and Counterparts, but I don't really like them enough to justify $40 on each...

Picked up the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Live From The Middle East, Eazy-E's Merry Muthafuckin' Xmas 7", and the Stormtroopers Of Death/Deftones split 7" for RSD.

Made a few more purchases than usual as of late:

Pink Floyd - A Collection of Great Dance Songs

There's pretty much no reason for me to own this other than being a completist. I still need to grab Works when I see it, but at least that has Embryo on it.

Anderson East - Delilah

Soul band that opened for The Lone Bellow this weekend. Haven't listened to the LP yet, but they put on a great show so I'm sure I'll like it.

Rush - Roll The Bones (Counterparts & Test For Echo are being purchased tomorrow)

I like their late 80s and early to mid-90s output, so these re-issues are great for me

Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream

I absolutely LOVE the new orchestrated version of the title cut, so I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

Madonna - Rebel Heart

Got an Amazon deal for $9 so I took a chance. Actually a better album than I expected

Dwight Yoakam - Second Hand Heart

Same as above, got an Amazon deal for $5. This is a really, really good album.

How are the Rush reissues? I want to pick up Presto, Roll The Bones and Counterparts, but I don't really like them enough to justify $40 on each...

Picked up the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Live From The Middle East, Eazy-E's Merry Muthafuckin' Xmas 7", and the Stormtroopers Of Death/Deftones split 7" for RSD.

They're nothing short of prestine. I'd still say you'd have to love the albums to justify the price. I'd been holding off on Exit Stage Left due to it's $42 price tag, but I grabbed it this morning because they were having a 20% off sale.

I grabbed the High Fidelity and Love & Mercy Soundtracks today along with the Rich Robinson 7" but that was it for me.

Picked up the double LP, 45rpm version of the Nirvana hits package this morning along with the 2 Kill Bill soundtracks.

Supposedly the first 4 Black Crowes LPs are finally getting reissued in 2 weeks. I'm sure hoping that date holds up this time.

• 2 weeks later...

3 of the 4 Crowes LPs shipped so I'm good with that for now. Just picked up SYMM, Southern & Amorica but I'm still bummed Three Snakes didn't ship. It's supposedly coming in 2 weeks, so I'll just blast these until then.

That's some good vinyl right there.

Got the Jack White Lazaretto ultra lp with all the bells and whistles.

Edited by J Dog

Anyone know if an old vinyl player (Say from the 40s or 50s) will play "newer" records? And "newer" as in 70s LPs. Looking to find an under $60.00 portable vintage player to play the three vinyl I own, which is Black Sabbath's debut, Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy and Kiss: Rock And Roll-over.

Anyone know if an old vinyl player (Say from the 40s or 50s) will play "newer" records? And "newer" as in 70s LPs. Looking to find an under $60.00 portable vintage player to play the three vinyl I own, which is Black Sabbath's debut, Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy and Kiss: Rock And Roll-over.

It might work but it will likely destroy your vinyl in the process. Those old portable record players had heavy tonearms and cheap needles which are not conducive to high fidelity and vinyl heath.......

It might work but it will likely destroy your vinyl in the process. Those old portable record players had heavy tonearms and cheap needles which are not conducive to high fidelity and vinyl heath.......

All right. Just want a vintage player for that pop and crackle.

Edited by Death Star

New purchases

1. John Mayall's very first album "Live at Klook Kleek" original red label mono in excellent condition.......going to try to get him to sign the cover when I see him in March

2. Leslie West "Mountain" his first album in excellent condition..hopefully he will tour again so I can get it signed

3. Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsy's" Classic Records 150 gram reissue...supposed to be as good or better then the original pressing.

4. Deep Purple "Made in Japan" original George "Porky" Peckham British Pressing that was imported to the U.S. by Jem....It is mint and has the Jem sticker on the cover. I already have 3 original pressing copies of this album, British, Japanese and American in excellent condition so really did not need this but it was in excellent condition and only $16 so I bought this because it is identical to the British import I bought when it first came out but got stolen at college...It was released several month earlier in Great Britain then in the U.S. and I bought an import copy back in the day as I couldn't wait for the U.S. release...bought it as a bit of nostalgia.....

Edited by classicrawker

Received my Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" Deluxe 4LP 180 gram vinyl boxset today......hope it sounds as good as it looks a it is gorgeous.......

Please let me know what you think of it. It's the only Zep LP release I haven't purchased in the past 5 or so years.

I've heard really mixed things about it but never had the chance to get an opinion from someone I trust on it.

Went and picked up Blackstar today.

My buddy brought the black pressing over last night, sounds really good outside of just being a solid album in the first place.

Picked up Rush - Feedback yesterday and happened to find a copy of Rod Stewart - Unplugged so I grabbed that as well. Both sound really good.

Received my Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" Deluxe 4LP 180 gram vinyl boxset today......hope it sounds as good as it looks a it is gorgeous.......

Please let me know what you think of it. It's the only Zep LP release I haven't purchased in the past 5 or so years.

I've heard really mixed things about it but never had the chance to get an opinion from someone I trust on it.

Finally opened it up. Vinyl is nice and flat and very quiet. I only have the original CD release to compare it to but I think this vinyl is a nice mix, maybe a little bright and more natural IMHO.

Page and Bonham up in the mix with Plant back a little. Audience is also back but is there. Reminds me a little of the better 75 SB boots with a better mix.

Overall I like it and it is worth it for the extra songs IMHO and a good deal for $60 I paid for it.

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Finally opened it up. Vinyl is nice and flat and very quiet. I only have the original CD release to compare it to but I think this vinyl is a nice mix, maybe a little bright and more natural IMHO.

Page and Bonham up in the mix with Plant back a little. Audience is also back but is there. Reminds me a little of the better 75 SB boots with a better mix.

Overall I like it and it is worth it for the extra songs IMHO and a good deal for $60 I paid for it.

Ok cool. For $60, I may just pull the trigger on it sooner than later. I have OP, so it's not like I'll be missing anything if I end up preferring certain versions from the original.

Picked up the double LP, 45rpm version of the Nirvana hits package this morning along with the 2 Kill Bill soundtracks.

Supposedly the first 4 Black Crowes LPs are finally getting reissued in 2 weeks. I'm sure hoping that date holds up this time.

I really hope this is true (the black crowes comment).

I've purchased Southern Harmony & Musical Companion twice now (i think through their site too), and both skip like crazy and are un-listenable as a result :(

I really hope this is true (the black crowes comment).

I've purchased Southern Harmony & Musical Companion twice now (i think through their site too), and both skip like crazy and are un-listenable as a result :(

I bought all 4 since that post. Southern Harmony sounds WORLDS better than the previous pressing, with no skipping issues at all

Just had my first bad experience on discogs. Bummer.

What happened? I've had a couple records show up in way worse condition than the seller said, but I've always worked out a deal.

I ordered "The Best Of Bowie" 2 CD set. They accepted payment last week, but I noticed that as of today, it still hasn't shipped. So I emailed them, and the response is "the CD you ordered is on back order and will be back in stock within 1-2 weeks." Like, why would you list a CD for sale that isn't in stock? Yet, they had no problem taking my money.

The seller has 98.8% positive feedback, so I assumed that they'd be a safe bet to order from.