Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Have the following inbound for next week

Steven Stills Manassas 200 Gram Classic records reissue..........man I love this album as I think it is some of Stills finest work

Steve Jones Fire and Gasoline still sealed promo album- former Sex Pistols 2nd solo album which straight out rocks. Even has Axl singing on one of the tracks. I have had this on CD since it was released so excited to finally get it on vinyl........

• Like 1

Just got Zakk Wylde - Book Of Shadows II delivered. I didn't even know it was coming out on vinyl, but apparently it's an FYE Exclusive at least in the US.

I really, REALLY hope the first Book Of Shadows gets a release eventually!

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my Blackberry Smoke "Leave a Scar, Live in North Carolina" 2LP vinyl today.....I have had the CD now for a while and can't stop playing it. The CD is a real clear in your face Guitar upfront recording so looking forward to seeing how the vinyl sounds.

Also just realized the RCA cable on my 1980 vintage Technics SL-1700 MK2 turntable has a open conductor  near to the strain relief going into the unit so I lose one channel if I move the wire to the left. It will work if I pull it to the right  side but I bought a heavy duty replacement cable and will be performing surgery this coming weekend.....Will give me a chance to clean up all the old dried up lube on the plastic gears for the cueing and tonearm return so I don't mind the challenge..........Based on the info I found on line it looks like it is easy to take apart so wish me luck!

Edited by classicrawker

Last record I bought was this EP:

I also pre-ordered the new Gojira album when it was announced, and I'm anxiously awaiting the release date of Cradle of Filth's 'The Original Sin' (original version of Dusk... And Her Embrace, the CD version comes out in July).

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Finally replaced the cable on my turntable today and cleaned up the cueing gears and relubed them.......sounds great and the cueing is now smooth as silk.........the turntable is built like a tank but it was a pain in the ass to replace the rca cable....

listened to the Blackberry Smoke "Leave a Scar, Live in North Carolina" as a test run and it sounds fantastic.....may have a vinyl marathon tomorrow........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2016 at 2:33 PM, classicrawker said:

Just received my Fleetwood Mac in Concert February 5,6,7, 1970 live at the Boston Tea Party 4LP 180 gram box set.....this is the original Peter Green Mac..I have the 3CD box set which is excellent so looking forward to hearing it on vinyl

Let me know how it sounds. I wouldn't mind picking that up.

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Let me know how it sounds. I wouldn't mind picking that up.

Got a chance to sample it tonight and it sounds fantastic! very open and airy with a great live feel...IMHO an amazing live recording considering it was done in 1970.................highly recommended

Just got these reissues today

1. Best of Rod Stewart .on 180 gram vinyl............this was orginally released in 1976 so it has a lot of the early hits and none of the cheesy late 70's/ 80's hits.....

2. Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac...their very first album

3. Chicken Shack.. 40 Blue Fingers Freshley Packed and ready to Serve...there first album...has Christine Mcvie on vocals.........

May hit Joe's Albums this weekend if I ahve time as he has some good vintage stuff I would love to pick up

• Like 1

The place I usually shop is having a 20% off sale, so I finally grabbed the 4LP version of The Song Remains The Same yesterday. I picked up No.4 by STP as well, along with David Bowie-Santa Monica '72.

Gonna be a good night of spinning records at my crib.

• Like 1

Is there a better feeling than tracking down an album that you've been looking for at a decent price for a long time? Granted, I'm a CD guy, but I finally tracked down the Japanese version of "Let's Go Faster" by the Stray Cats with an exclusive track that isn't available anywhere else.

The album was only available in Australia and Japan to begin with. I've had the Australian version for years, but the Japanese version has been one of my "holy grails" for quite some time!

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No. I just found a Foxy Shazam tour-only 7" on Discogs that I've been trying to find for 5 years. I can't wait til it gets here :D

Nice! Congrats, man! I'm convinced that there's no new music that I care about, so I'm just going around and upgrading my collection with import editions to stuff that I already have at this point, and going back and picking up copies of stuff that I missed out on the first time around. 

Discogs is life.

:lol:

Edited by The Real McCoy

15 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Nice! Congrats, man! I'm convinced that there's no new music that I care about, so I'm just going around and upgrading my collection with import editions to stuff that I already have at this point, and going back and picking up copies of stuff that I missed out on the first time around. 

Discogs is life.

:lol:

There's a few new releases I've got this year and a few I'm waiting for, but most of the time I find buying the vinyl to be more 'worth it' as they're limited edition color pressings or something, or the packaging is really cool. But I kick myself for being stupid when I first started getting into records (middle/high school), because I used to trade records with some of my friends and I traded away stuff I've either since re-bought or just wish I haven't gotten rid of. Examples off the top of my head are Arctic Monkeys' Favorite Worst Nightmare (bought the re-issue) or the Australian version of AC/DC's T.N.T. (wish I still had it).

Discogs is a blessing and a curse. :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's a few new releases I've got this year and a few I'm waiting for, but most of the time I find buying the vinyl to be more 'worth it' as they're limited edition color pressings or something, or the packaging is really cool. But I kick myself for being stupid when I first started getting into records (middle/high school), because I used to trade records with some of my friends and I traded away stuff I've either since re-bought or just wish I haven't gotten rid of. Examples off the top of my head are Arctic Monkeys' Favorite Worst Nightmare (bought the re-issue) or the Australian version of AC/DC's T.N.T. (wish I still had it).

Discogs is a blessing and a curse. :lol:

I could spend way too much money on Discogs if I don't keep myself in check!

That happened to me with No More Tears by Ozzy. I've never spotted it in the US because it wasn't pressed here, but I've kept an eye on it for literally years on Discogs. I finally found one at a decent price a month ago or so and pulled the trigger. It showed up in better condition than it was listed, so that was a plus.

• Like 1

Just received my copy of The Doors "Live in New York, Felt Forum January 17th 1970 First Show" 2LP Rhino release.

I already own the 6CD version of all of the Felt Forum shows which is now out of print and selling for more than $120 and up second hand......The CD's sound phenomenal and the performances are very good so looking forward hearing this on vinyl.............

• Like 1

Just got my Black Sabbath "Live in Asbury Park 1975" double LP which I assume is a bootleg but it is a pro recorded KBFH show and sounds excellent. Verty well made flat and quiet black vinyl which feels like 180 gram.  Had the CD of this show for years but always wanted it on vinyl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Sabbath-Live-At-Convention-Hall-1975-Ashbury-New-Jersey-2-X-LP-Black-Vinyl-/231992384228?

I also have an extra copy of The Doors "Live in NYC" official 2LP 180 gram Rhino release still sealed if anyone is interested. I double ordered this and could not cancel either order. I am asking $22 USD plus actual shipping cost as I am not looking to make money on shipping. Over seas orders wil be shipped registerd mail so keep this in mind for shipping cost which might be as much as the albu costs.......Drop me a PM if interested.

Edited by classicrawker

Finally got around to getting Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds from the same place I found Relics, and it's in the same kind of shape - the cover is beat up but the record sounds great. Got Gojira's new album on gold vinyl in the mail a couple weeks ago too, and the 'Oh Lord' 7" by Foxy Shazam. So it's been a good month or so :D

• Like 1