Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

48 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Finally got around to getting Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds from the same place I found Relics, and it's in the same kind of shape - the cover is beat up but the record sounds great. Got Gojira's new album on gold vinyl in the mail a couple weeks ago too, and the 'Oh Lord' 7" by Foxy Shazam. So it's been a good month or so :D

Obscured By Clouds is SUCH a great listen on LP!

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Obscured By Clouds is SUCH a great listen on LP!

It really is. Now all I'm really looking for is Meddle, as far as Pink Floyd records. The same record store had a re-issue of Piper At The Gates... that I had my eye on, but I already have the 3CD version so I'm in no hurry to grab it.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It really is. Now all I'm really looking for is Meddle, as far as Pink Floyd records. The same record store had a re-issue of Piper At The Gates... that I had my eye on, but I already have the 3CD version so I'm in no hurry to grab it.

Good call on Meddle....my favorite Floyd album..........

On 7/10/2016 at 6:32 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

On 7/11/2016 at 8:25 PM, classicrawker said:

Good call on Meddle....my favorite Floyd album..........

Meddle is SUCH a great album. I think one of the most underrated Floyd songs of all time is Fearless.

So I finally pulled the trigger and received my copy of the Deep Purple "Made in Japan" Limited Edition Super Deluxe 9LP Boxed Set today........it has all three complete  1972 Japanese shows which were recorded for the legendary 2 LP live album back in 1972..........got it from a record shop in Slovenia for a decent price including shipping as this set is now OOP and hard to find at a decent price.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/deep-purple-made-in-japan-reissue-boxes-formats-explained/

I have the 4 CD version which I love so look forward to hearing the shows complete on vinyl and compare them to the U.S., British, and Japanese  first pressings of the original album I own.............

Edit: so I checked out the first LP and it is perfectly flat and sounds fantastic. will be checking out the rest of the first show, 2 LP's, tonight...............

Also bought a vintage Discwasher record care kit off ebay mainly for the Zerostat gun but the kit is complete and looks basically unused. Was excited to see the test neon bulb was included which confirmed the Zerostat gun was working..........

discwasher.jpg 

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 9:36 AM, classicrawker said:

Also bought a vintage Discwasher record care kit off ebay mainly for the Zerostat gun but the kit is complete and looks basically unused. Was excited to see the test neon bulb was included which confirmed the Zerostat gun was working..........

I bought a ZeroStat gun years ago and I need to use it WAY more than I do.

In LP news; I picked up Tesla-Psychotic Supper the other day. It's one of those 90s albums that never got pressed on vinyl, so I was never expecting it to ever get pressed. I had no idea it was coming, walked into a record store on Friday and nearly shit myself.

My next worry was that it would be a budget pressing and sound exactly like that. As soon as I dropped the needle, I was shocked at how good it sounded. Not only did someone press this out of nowhere, but they actually cared to do a great job with it! Score!

• Like 1

Just picked up Aerosmith "Live at Paul's Maul, Boston March 20th, 1973 180 gram vinyl import............I believe this is the earliest known pro recorded Aerosmith concert in circulation with songs from there first album...this is the famous WBCN (RIP) radio broadcast which has been in collectors circles forever. It evidently is a gray market release as Radio shows seem to fall into a loop hole in the EU copyright law.

I have this on CD and the quality is excellent so I expect this will sound pretty good ...the back cover claims it was sourced from the WBCN master analog reel but who knows how true this is..........

On 7/1/2016 at 2:47 PM, RussTCB said:

Picked up the new Rich Robinson LP today. When I came home, the mail man was dropping off the Third Man Vault 28. Pretty excited to spin both tomorrow night!

I stopped my third man vault stuf and really miss it. Been meaning to sign up again. Did you get the Pearl Jam one w/ Jack White joining in? Any good?

26 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

I stopped my third man vault stuf and really miss it. Been meaning to sign up again. Did you get the Pearl Jam one w/ Jack White joining in? Any good?

That's the next Vault package. TMR tweeted earlier that there's still 5 days to get in on it. It probably won't be delivered until the middle of September or so.

• 2 weeks later...

So after much research I finally sprang for a Record Cleaning Machine which arrived today....I was considering a VPI,  which based on reviews is great machine, but it was more than twice what I paid for the Record Doctor which is basically a Nitty Gritty  machine without the platter turning motor so you spin the record by hand to spread the fluid. Considering how many records I would clean at a time I can live without the platter motor I think.

RDV_1.jpg

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDV&gclid=CO7N5_G8t84CFdBZhgod-qsMsQ

Looking forward to giving it spin this weekend to see how it does. I might even do a 2 step cleaning using my spin clean for the first step or for a distilled water rinse.........

Someday I would love to get an Audio Desk which uses Ultrasonic cleaning but that is way out of my league financially right now

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ASVCP

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

So after much research I finally sprang for a Record Cleaning Machine which arrived today....I was considering a VPI,  which based on reviews is great machine, but it was more than twice what I paid for the Record Doctor which is basically a Nitty Gritty  machine without the platter turning motor so you spin the record by hand to spread the fluid. Considering how many records I would clean at a time I can live without the platter motor I think.

RDV_1.jpg

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDV&gclid=CO7N5_G8t84CFdBZhgod-qsMsQ

Looking forward to giving it spin this weekend to see how it does. I might even do a 2 step cleaning using my spin clean for the first step or for a distilled water rinse.........

Someday I would love to get an Audio Desk which uses Ultrasonic cleaning but that is way out of my league financially right now

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ASVCP

I've had the VPI 16.5 for 4 years or so now. I've heard really good things about the Record Doctor too. I would LOVE to get the Audio Desk too eventually but I'm in the same boat you are. There's just NO way to justify that purchase at this point.

22 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've had the VPI 16.5 for 4 years or so now. I've heard really good things about the Record Doctor too. I would LOVE to get the Audio Desk too eventually but I'm in the same boat you are. There's just NO way to justify that purchase at this point.

Yeah that would be a pretty major investment

If this guy wins this auction he is getting a bargain if it is in good working order

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Desk-LP-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Original-3995-Gene-Rubin-Audio-/361674300995?hash=item543577de43:g:Jf4AAOSwnQhXomzO

WHY IN THE FUCK ARE THE WALL AND THE DIVISION BELL NEXT IN THE SERIES OF FLOYD LP REISSUES?!?!?!

*inhales deeply*

*holds for 5 seconds*

*exhales*

Ok... now that I got that off my chest, I wish I cared enough about the Stones to want this:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-rolling-stones-in-mono-16lp-vinyl-and-15cd-box-sets-due-in-september/

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

WHY IN THE FUCK ARE THE WALL AND THE DIVISION BELL NEXT IN THE SERIES OF FLOYD LP REISSUES?!?!?!

*inhales deeply*

*holds for 5 seconds*

*exhales*

Ok... now that I got that off my chest, I wish I cared enough about the Stones to want this:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-rolling-stones-in-mono-16lp-vinyl-and-15cd-box-sets-due-in-september/

I care about the Stones but not for $390.00............not  saying it is not worth it just a little rich for my blood

• Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 2:00 PM, classicrawker said:

Yeah that would be a pretty major investment

If this guy wins this auction he is getting a bargain if it is in good working order

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Desk-LP-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Original-3995-Gene-Rubin-Audio-/361674300995?hash=item543577de43:g:Jf4AAOSwnQhXomzO

damn still only one bid on the Audio Desk machine and just over a day left.......I am trying as hard as I can to resist biding but if the current bidder wins this for anything less than $2000 he is getting a steal IMHO......I must resist...I must resist...I must resist...........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, classicrawker said:

The Audio Desk ended upgoing for just over $1500......If it is ingood sape the winner got a bargain IMHO.

Have you heard anything about the stylus cleaner I posted above? I googled around and found some thoughts, but not much. It's $150, so it's not that big of a gamble, but I'm seriously thinking about doing it.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Have you heard anything about the stylus cleaner I posted above? I googled around and found some thoughts, but not much. It's $150, so it's not that big of a gamble, but I'm seriously thinking about doing it.

had not heard of that Russ but a few fellow vinyl sniffers on the Hoffman forum rave about it

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/flux-hifi-sonic-electric-needle-cleaner-works-wonders.435857/

Audiogon also recommends it so it sounds like it could be a good investment

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/flux-hifi-sonic-stylus-cleaner

Youtube ad

• Like 1

Just got these in the mail today

Original British Vertigo pressing from a seller in Great Britain which looks mint.....really love old 70's Quo

image.jpg

This is a sealed reissue which was mastered from the original analog tapes by Friday Music

LS1.jpg

I have originals buried with my other LP's I bought in the 70's but I am sure they are a little beat up so looking forward to listening to clean copies

Edited by classicrawker