Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ok.....so I had the stereo box but read WAY better things about the mono box so I ended up trading up. I'm not usually a mono guy either but I gotta tell ya, I like the mono box much MUCH better.

Yeah I have read a lot of comments that the Mono Box is better...............I can get the stereo box for $200 so do you think the MONO box is worth double the price? What about the Mono makes it better for you?

Edit: also read the EU pressing is much better than the U.S. pressing.........

Edited by classicrawker

10 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Yeah I have read a lot of comments that the Mono Box is better...............I can get the stereo box for $200 so do you think the MONO box is worth double the price? What about the Mono makes it better for you?

Edit: also read the EU pressing is much better than the U.S. pressing.........

I read that about the EU pressing but I can't say one way or the other to be honest. Let me say first that I don't think the Mono box is worth double the price. What I do like about it is how everything is just more in your face. The best example I can give is Revolution. It's just way more present throughout the whole song right from the top.

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I read that about the EU pressing but I can't say one way or the other to be honest. Let me say first that I don't think the Mono box is worth double the price. What I do like about it is how everything is just more in your face. The best example I can give is Revolution. It's just way more present throughout the whole song right from the top.

Thanks Russ will have to give it some thought...........looks like it can be had on Amazon for about $300..but I would still have to grab Let It Be and Abbey Road which are not in the Mono Box which adds another $40........

So I made sort of a compromise and bought 3 of my favorite Beatles albums in Stereo to check out and see if I want more of them......Going to give them a cleaning and spin them this weekend when I have time.............Still might ask Santa for the MONO box set though........

Sgt Peppers

White Album

Abbey Road 

Sgt Peppers was made in England, The White album in the EU and can't tell where Abbey Road was pressed so hopefully the GB and EU pressings are as good as I have been reading about

• Like 1

7 hours ago, classicrawker said:

So I made sort of a compromise and bought 3 of my favorite Beatles albums in Stereo to check out and see if I want more of them......Going to give them a cleaning and spin them this weekend when I have time.............Still might ask Santa for the MONO box set though........

Sgt Peppers

White Album

Abbey Road 

Sgt Peppers was made in England, The White album in the EU and can't tell where Abbey Road was pressed so hopefully the GB and EU pressings are as good as I have been reading about

I shamelessly double dipped on The White Album as it's my favorite. I have the Mono pressing from the box set and the stereo version of the Mo-Fi pressing.

• 2 weeks later...

New Vinyl I bought that is incoming

I have my original copy of this album from High School but it is played to death so heard good things about the Classic Album label vinyl reissue so bought the 180 Gram version as the 200 gram version is too expensive for my tastes.

Humble_Pie.jpg

Bought these three album from a vendor on ebay for about $12 total  and he claims they are all EX-NM graded so we will see if his grading is true... 

Excited for this Live Joe Cocker album as I have never owned it on vinyl or CD

Joe_Cocker.jpg

Love Rick Wakeman's solo stuff and this is the Best IMHO

download.jpg

This Mountain album had one side of studio songs and one side live recorded at the Fillmore East......Epic live version of "Dreams of Milk and Honey"

Mountain2.jpg

Edited by classicrawker

Just got my Limited edition 2LP vinyl and 2 CD of Jimi's 1969 NYE show.

I have all 4 shows in a very good 6CD bootleg box set but this is the First official release of the of a complete  show from the Band of Gypsy's 69/70 New Years Eve shows.

It has been a shitty week at work so really looking forward to listening to this on the ride home tonight and the vinyl later with a cocktail or 6................:lol:

.Hendrix_Fillmore.jpg

Edited by classicrawker

Just got my 180 gram Classic Records Stevie Ray Vaughn (RIP) Live Alive LP today. ..........love SRV so looking forward to spinning this after I give it a cleaning.

SRV.jpg

Edit: This release is actually on the Music On Vinyl label not Classic Records..........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2016 at 4:24 PM, classicrawker said:

Just got my 180 gram Classic Records Stevie Ray Vaughn (RIP) Live Alive LP today. ..........love SRV so looking forward to spinning this after I give it a cleaning.

SRV.jpg

Edit: This release is actually on the Music On Vinyl label not Classic Records..........

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Analogue Productions 45rpm versions eventually. I absolutely love their pressings and I'm sure SRV will sound amazing from them.

• Like 1

Had this on original vinyl but it disappeared over the ages so I just got the 180 gram reissue. Just listened to the CD in my car the other day and I think this may Clapton's greatest work..........one of the concerts on my fantasy time machine list is the show he played with Duane Allman joining the Dominoes.........

clapton.png

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grabbed 3 of the Bon Jovi re-issues this morning, two of which have never been pressed. The third is one I had a shitty original pressing of that was crammed onto 1 LP when it really should have been 2, so I'm thankful they did it as a 2 LP this time around:

Keep The Faith
Crush
Bounce

• 2 weeks later...

picked up Pink Floyd DSOTM 2016 reissue........My original pressing copy I bought back in the day is close to nr mint but could not resist getting the new release as I love that album....Meddle will be the next remaster I buy I think

Rennaissance Live at Carnegie Hall.....1st UK pressing in beautiful shape......Annie Haslam sings like an Angel........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, classicrawker said:

picked up Pink Floyd DSOTM 2016 reissue........My original pressing copy I bought back in the day is close to nr mint but could not resist getting the new release as I love that album....Meddle will be the next remaster I buy I think

Rennaissance Live at Carnegie Hall.....1st UK pressing in beautiful shape......Annie Haslam sings like an Angel........

I'm VERY pleased with the Floyd reissues thus far. I've only picked up a few, Meddle included, but each one sounds excellent.

Haven't posted in this thread in a long while...

Here's my current collection and set up:

12" (+KISS 7" and some 10')

2ldkuc3.jpg

7" and the turntable set-up..

24mzt3a.jpg

My most recent acquisitions are probably the tricolor(black/yellow/white) 7" single for Jack White's "Love Interruption", The soundtrack for Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and a Test Pressing of the Death Proof OST

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 1

I used up some of my vacation days and took the week off of work so the wife and I finally took a trip to Deja Vue records in Natick, MAssachusetts yesterday as people have told me it is a gold mine for cheap used vinyl and boy they were not kidding.

We walked out of the place with 27 albums for $55 and we both got some nice titles in great shape for that cheap money. The covers on many of them were worn with rings etc. but the vinyl was in VG to EX shape after a good cleaning.

I won't list them all but I scored the following in Ex to VG shape

1. Led Zep II in NRMint condition

2. Little Feat Waiting for Columbus in VG shape plays nicely after cleaning

3. Mike Bloomfiled Super Sessions

4. Mike Bloomfield/ Paul Butterfield Live at the Fillmore West 2LP. Has a scratch on the first song so it ticks but after that it is Ex.

5. Savoy Brown Live 2LP

6. Paul McCartney Ram album

7. Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth

8 Traffic John Barleycorn Must Die

9 Young Rascals Greatest Hits............this was an album I loved in my youth

My wife actually grabbed more than I did and I only had $65 on me so did not think the owner would give us such a good deal as she doesn't take credit cards. We both actually had to put some back as we never would have had enough money. So we ended up paying about 2 bucks and LP.

The owner of the store is an older Greek lady who has been wholesaleing used vinyl for over 40 years. In fact wholesaleing is her main business and only opened a retail store when she got so many requests for a chance to buy small quantities of albums.

She told us stories about when CD's came out in the 80's, and nobody in the U.S. cared about vinyl anymore, she would ship containers of several hundred thousand used records to Japan and Europe but now that vinyl is in vogue again those days are over and she still wholesales smaller quantities here in the U.S.

She gets new stuff in constantly and will put artists aside  and give you call if you give her a printed list, she does not do e-mail, of your likes which I am going to do this weekend when I am in the area.

Nothing is marked with a price and you bring up your stack and she makes up a price on the spot. She knows her stuff about rare albums and keep the good stuff in the back but will share them with you if you tell her what you like which is how I scored the LZ II album.

As I said she does not have e-mail, it is amazing she even has a website, and her store hours are erratic so best to call ahead but highly recommended if you are in the area.  She does not have tons of highly popular albums, like LZ, Pink Floyd around unless she saves them for you, but you can still find nice stuff if you are willing to dig as nothing is really organized and just boxes of albums everwhere. As long as you are not expecting NrMint collector grade albums you can't beat the prices.

http://www.dejavurecords.net/

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

The company I work for gave us all 100 dollar gift cards as a thanksgiving gift so I picked up the recent Jane's Addiction Sterling Spoon box set. It comes with NS and Ritual which I have but getting the kettle whistle selections and most importantly the Hollywood Palladium show on vinyl is worth the price tag and not having to wear out my original pressings of the other albums is nice as well. I highly recommend this set.

Before the end of the year I will probably be upgrading my turntable to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB. I haven't decided yet if I will keep my audio engine a5+ speakers, upgrade to the HD6 or go to a different brand even.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 1:47 PM, Stiff Competition said:

The company I work for gave us all 100 dollar gift cards as a thanksgiving gift so I picked up the recent Jane's Addiction Sterling Spoon box set. It comes with NS and Ritual which I have but getting the kettle whistle selections and most importantly the Hollywood Palladium show on vinyl is worth the price tag and not having to wear out my original pressings of the other albums is nice as well. I highly recommend this set.

Before the end of the year I will probably be upgrading my turntable to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB. I haven't decided yet if I will keep my audio engine a5+ speakers, upgrade to the HD6 or go to a different brand even.

I'd like to get that Jane's set. If I were buying a turntable today, that's the exact one I'd be buying too.

I ordered the latest Metallica LP today along with the Mitch Hedberg boxed set. I'm hoping they both arrive quickly.