Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'd like to get that Jane's set. If I were buying a turntable today, that's the exact one I'd be buying too.

I ordered the latest Metallica LP today along with the Mitch Hedberg boxed set. I'm hoping they both arrive quickly.

That should be freakin' great.

• Like 1

On 2016-11-12 at 2:51 PM, RussTCB said:

I'm VERY pleased with the Floyd reissues thus far. I've only picked up a few, Meddle included, but each one sounds excellent.

I'm this close to finally picking up Meddle. Might pull the trigger soon on the re-issue but there's a couple other wants/needs to get to as well...

The last record I bought was the new EP from Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats:

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm this close to finally picking up Meddle. Might pull the trigger soon on the re-issue but there's a couple other wants/needs to get to as well...

The last record I bought was the new EP from Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats:

You gotta get that Meddle re-issue.

I bought that Rateliff EP btw. I've only listened to it once, but I liked what I heard.

• Like 1

I got this bootleg a while ago when I saw it for significantly cheaper than usual, but I blew my receiver out around the same time so I haven't been able to listen to it. Well, I got a good deal on a receiver and finally hooked it up today, playing this now and it sounds surprisingly good. Gonna listen to a few records tonight that I've been waiting to spin...

Ac-dc-Hired-Gun-Rocknrollwerchterbelgium

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I got this bootleg a while ago when I saw it for significantly cheaper than usual, but I blew my receiver out around the same time so I haven't been able to listen to it. Well, I got a good deal on a receiver and finally hooked it up today, playing this now and it sounds surprisingly good. Gonna listen to a few records tonight that I've been waiting to spin...

Ac-dc-Hired-Gun-Rocknrollwerchterbelgium

Oh snap... I didn't even think something like that would be pressed! How much was it?

On 12/6/2016 at 8:58 AM, classicrawker said:

The vinyl comeback is pretty amazing.....I always thought it was just a cult thing and never thought I would see this happen.....

http://thevinylfactory.com/news/vinyl-sales-exceed-digital-downloads-uk/

I read that the other day. 

I was really thinking on it after I read that I know a LOT of people who have picked up vinyl over the past year especially. Of my close friends, I can only think of one couple who doesn't buy LPs reguarly now. It's craxy but it's true.

There seems to be some sort of mess surrounding the Tom Petty boxed sets that were supposed to come out last Friday and today. If my local shop has Volume 2 this morning as they're supposed to, I believe I'm going to go ahead and grab it.

If anyone comes across the RSD release that Iron Maiden did for Black Friday (It was the Brave New World album) for a reasonable price, can you do me a solid and point me in the direction? I got a copy, as well as three others for friends in Europe. I mailed their copies out immediately, opened mine the next day...and mine was scratched pretty bad on side 2. Fucking gutted, I've been after this album for ten years (There was only a single pressing available of it before this year), and I finally got a copy and I can't even play it :( 

It's already going in the ballpark of $100 secondhand.

21 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

If anyone comes across the RSD release that Iron Maiden did for Black Friday (It was the Brave New World album) for a reasonable price, can you do me a solid and point me in the direction? I got a copy, as well as three others for friends in Europe. I mailed their copies out immediately, opened mine the next day...and mine was scratched pretty bad on side 2. Fucking gutted, I've been after this album for ten years (There was only a single pressing available of it before this year), and I finally got a copy and I can't even play it :( 

It's already going in the ballpark of $100 secondhand.

That blows man. I'll keep an ear to the ground and see if I come up with anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Third Man has a great bundle offer on the two paramount records box sets right now and I've been wanting to buy them since they were announced, so I finally gave in and got both sets for 500.

I almost pulled the trigger on that the other day, but the Petty set I bought yesterday put too much of a dent in the vinyl budget to do it.

Just got my Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Ya's out Super Deluxe box set in Mint condition from Ebay used at a great price.......already have the CD box and  British and U.S. vinyl first pressings of the album but wanted the Stones MSG bonus tracks and the BB King/ Tina Turner opening act on vinyl..........they did a great job and the vinyl sounds great 

I love CD bootlegs and have a ton of them but never owned a vinyl as they were always too expensive or in really bad shape. I have always wanted a original of the Stones "Liver than You'll Ever Be" LP which is the famous 1969 Oakland 2nd show that freaked out the Stones and their record label and forced them to release the legendary "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" live album. I have several different CD label bootlegs of this show and it sounds fantastic for being recorded back in 1969. Legend has it the person recording it had a Uher reel to reel with a Sennhieser shotgun mike. Here is a great website abut this bootleg

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/Liver_LP.html

Finally found one on ebay at a decent price and pulled the trigger. From the looks of it I think it is an original Lurch label pressing and the cover is in decent shape, as they tend to get trashed, and the vinyl looks in great shape but needs a cleaning which I plan to do tomorrow. Hopefully it plays well after a cleaning. funny thing about this boot is there are no breaks between the songs and the sides play as one long song.  Bootlegs in those days were pretty crude affairs I guess..........

Liver_cover.jpg

Liver_vinyl.jpg

Liver_label.jpg

Edit: So I cleaned this up with my spin clean followed by the Record Doctor and was happy to find it was in EX+ condition with no scratches. It played very quiet with just a little first track crackle and just a few random pops. I got very lucky as it looks like the previous owner barely played this LP it was so clean.

This boot sounds fantastic and I can see why the Stones label DECCA freaked out when this was released shortly after the concert. It sounds almost pro recorded and I think even better than the several CD bootlegs I have of this show. It is an amazing recording for the times.....Highly recommended to any Stones fan that collects vinyl.............

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2016 at 1:07 PM, Stiff Competition said:

Got my new table set up...

Pro-ject debut carbon esprit SB>pro-ject phono box s>audio engine a5+ speakers

I also upgraded the ortofon red stylus that it comes with to the ortofon blue stylus.

I will probably upgrade the speakers at some point but they are fine for the time being.

ncnkt0.jpg

nice setup!....just a suggestion,  when you are ready to upgrade your speakers check out Elac speakers......incredible sounding speakers which out perform speakers many times their price and they are very reasonably priced.......

http://elac.com/product-category/debut/

Edited by classicrawker

On 2016-11-27 at 2:30 PM, RussTCB said:

You gotta get that Meddle re-issue.

I bought that Rateliff EP btw. I've only listened to it once, but I liked what I heard.

I went to my 2nd favorite record store today, I gotta go there more often. Finally picked up the Meddle re-issue, it sounds awesome. Also grabbed a new-ish GNR bootleg called 'In The Empire of The Sun' from Tokyo '88 because I can't not buy a GNR record I don't have :lol: Sounds about as good as I figured it would tbh, which isn't great. Was surprised to see they also had Pasadena '87 (from the same company that pressed the Tokyo show) and a 3LP from Stockholm '91.

I'm also waiting on a bootleg of the April 9 Vegas show :devilshades:

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 1:07 PM, Stiff Competition said:

Got my new table set up...

Pro-ject debut carbon esprit SB>pro-ject phono box s>audio engine a5+ speakers

I also upgraded the ortofon red stylus that it comes with to the ortofon blue stylus.

I will probably upgrade the speakers at some point but they are fine for the time being.

ncnkt0.jpg

Love the KISS figures.