Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@Black Sabbath @RussTCB

The record store I go often has an original US pressing of Ozzy's No More Tears in great shape. But they want $100 for it (~$75 USD). What's it actually worth? Was gonna try to talk the guy down to $50-60 but I'm wondering if you guys know what I should try to get it for.

No idea, honestly. I didn't even know there was a US pressing (granted I haven't looked into the discogs that much); I have a Korean pressing.

That said, I don't think it's worth $100. I'd try to go for $60-70, unless Russ has a better idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@Black Sabbath @RussTCB

The record store I go often has an original US pressing of Ozzy's No More Tears in great shape. But they want $100 for it (~$75 USD). What's it actually worth? Was gonna try to talk the guy down to $50-60 but I'm wondering if you guys know what I should try to get it for.

I'm with @Black Sabbathon this. I didn't know there was a US pressing of it. I think mine is from Brazil maybe? I paid around $80 for mine I think. Sorry for all the "I think"'s as it's been a while since I got it. I absolutely LOVE that album though so I would've gone up to $100 for it to be honest.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm with @Black Sabbathon this. I didn't know there was a US pressing of it. I think mine is from Brazil maybe? I paid around $80 for mine I think. Sorry for all the "I think"'s as it's been a while since I got it. I absolutely LOVE that album though so I would've gone up to $100 for it to be honest.

@Gordon Comstock

I'm on mobile so I can't check the discogs site, but I'm pretty sure No More Tears was the first Ozzy album that didn't have a US LP pressing. But I could totally be wrong and I'll have to check later out of my own curiosity.

That said, regardless of where it's pressed, you'll likely have to pay the same amount as it is more scarce than other Ozzy LPs (not counting Ozzmosis and Down To Earth which are insanely priced). If you can swing $75 USD it, I would, but it never hurts to try to lower the price a bit. It's my favorite Ozzy album.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

@Gordon Comstock

I'm on mobile so I can't check the discogs site, but I'm pretty sure No More Tears was the first Ozzy album that didn't have a US LP pressing. But I could totally be wrong and I'll have to check later out of my own curiosity.

That said, regardless of where it's pressed, you'll likely have to pay the same amount as it is more scarce than other Ozzy LPs (not counting Ozzmosis and Down To Earth which are insanely priced). If you can swing $75 USD it, I would, but it never hurts to try to lower the price a bit. It's my favorite Ozzy album.

I was actually confusing it with the other Ozzy album they had, which was a US pressing of Randy Rhoads Tribute. No More Tears was a Dutch pressing, and I picked it up not long ago for $70 (CDN). :devilshades:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

Picked up a couple Stranglers albums last night.

Finally got the U.K. Pressing of the Phantasm soundtrack which puts me one pressing away from every vinyl pressing there is.

Preordered the RAW soundtrack from mondo/death waltz a couple weeks ago.

looked over the RSD list and it's not too exciting this year.

Iron Maiden are finally releasing all their albums from 1990 onwards on black vinyl (They've only been previously available on colored vinyl for a couple, but otherwise only picture discs) - 12 releases over the course of two months. This is probably the biggest audio-related erection I've ever had. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so i'm kinda sorta new to the vinyl game. I was born in 97 well after records fell out of their prime..

I know this has probably been asked quite a few times in here, but I really want to start a nice set up that isn't some piece of shit $50 Crosley with built in speakers that could potentially harm my records. I feel like every time I talk to someone about it they think I'm some hipster kid who got into vinyl because of one two many trips to Urban Outfitters, when in actuality I just want to listen to my favorite albums on vinyl! I've amassed quite a few records in the past couple of years, but feel like I'm losing out when I play them through a shitty turntable. Hell, im not even sure I'm doing the right thing when it comes to this:lol:

I currently own this (minus the incredibly shitty speakers):  

maxresdefault.jpg

a Jensen JTA-475. I cant help but think there is a better way to listen to records though. Usually when Im playing records on this thing I'm usually listening through a portable speaker or my Marshall Stanmore speaker, but I feel like I have to turn the volume alllllll the way up just to even hear anything. And when i do the sound is very muddy and just does not sound good at all. 

So I pose this question:

What can $300-$500 get me in terms of a nice set-up for playing records? I want to be able to play a record and not feel like theres something better than this, even though I know in the price range im looking at, there is definitely better equipment if your pockets are deep enough.

I'm sorry for derailing the conversation in this thread, but im sick of my small collection gathering dust. Someone help me out please!

20 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Okay, so i'm kinda sorta new to the vinyl game. I was born in 97 well after records fell out of their prime..

I know this has probably been asked quite a few times in here, but I really want to start a nice set up that isn't some piece of shit $50 Crosley with built in speakers that could potentially harm my records. I feel like every time I talk to someone about it they think I'm some hipster kid who got into vinyl because of one two many trips to Urban Outfitters, when in actuality I just want to listen to my favorite albums on vinyl! I've amassed quite a few records in the past couple of years, but feel like I'm losing out when I play them through a shitty turntable. Hell, im not even sure I'm doing the right thing when it comes to this:lol:

I currently own this (minus the incredibly shitty speakers):  

a Jensen JTA-475. I cant help but think there is a better way to listen to records though. Usually when Im playing records on this thing I'm usually listening through a portable speaker or my Marshall Stanmore speaker, but I feel like I have to turn the volume alllllll the way up just to even hear anything. And when i do the sound is very muddy and just does not sound good at all. 

So I pose this question:

What can $300-$500 get me in terms of a nice set-up for playing records? I want to be able to play a record and not feel like theres something better than this, even though I know in the price range im looking at, there is definitely better equipment if your pockets are deep enough.

I'm sorry for derailing the conversation in this thread, but im sick of my small collection gathering dust. Someone help me out please!

for that price, I'd get an Audio Technica ATLP120 and hook it straight in to some audio engine speakers.

check this out:

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audio-technica-at-lp120-usb-turntable-audioengine-a2-speakers-package-1

you can get the parts cheaper separately if you shop around.

It's a great starter setup.

no matter what you do, stay away from crosley and any other "all-in-one" type of things.

• Like 2

On 18.3.2017 at 7:50 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

@Black Sabbath @RussTCB

If it doesn't have to be a US pressing you can get it much cheaper on Ebay: here or here. Of course that's a bit of a risk since you can't check the condition.

Edited by Zurimor

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a few things lately:

White Zombie - Gods on Voodoo Moon 7" re-issue

Jack White - Battle Cry 7' single

The Kills - Cheap and Cheerful 7" single

Cobra OST

Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards LP (rare split color version)

KISS - Unholy 12" single

The Wicked Die Young LP (songs that inspired the film "The Neon Demon")

probably a few other things I'm leaving out.

I've actually finally given in to online shopping for some things. Record stores are getting higher and higher priced as vinyl becomes more popular again and are pretty much just full of re-issues, which then makes any original pressings go up in price. It's pretty lame.

So, I've been buying things on discos and eBay more often lately than I used to but still go to stores all the time hoping to find some cool shit. It just happens less often than it used to.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anyone else excited as hell that Buckethead's releasing some of his old albums on vinyl? They come out in August. I've pre-ordered my copies of Crime Slunk Scene (signed edition), The Elephant Mans Alarm Clock, and Shadows Between The Sky. rock4

Holy shit, that's awesome. Gimme Crime Slunk Scene!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anyone else excited as hell that Buckethead's releasing some of his old albums on vinyl? They come out in August. I've pre-ordered my copies of Crime Slunk Scene (signed edition), The Elephant Mans Alarm Clock, and Shadows Between The Sky. rock4

I don't see them on his website. Where did you order your copies?