Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Picked up Pink Floyd - The Film the other day. It's a bootleg with the alternate versions of songs from The Wall that appeared in the movie. Pretty cool thing for a big Floyd fan to find. 

I also picked up Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want along with John Mayer - The Search For Everything. 

Picked up:

The Magpie Salute - S/T
En Vogue - Funky Divas

Also grabbed some more Mo-Fi inner sleeves. I usually go with a cheaper kind off of Amazon but I'm out and the record store had them, so I just sprang for the Mo-Fi's again.

On 6/9/2017 at 3:26 PM, dally said:

A little of topic maby, but have any of you guy's any recomandation for lp cleaning? Im thinking about buying the spin clean set? Is it worth buying?

This

I have a friend who has a Spin Clean and loves it. I've read a lot of good things about them over the years. 

Picked up some chromatics LPS recently through the italians do it better webstore as well as the evil dead II soundtrack through waxwork and found an original pressing of White Zombie's astro-creep 2000 in a store over the weekend.

ive sold a ton of KISS vinyl (and some other various bands and soundtracks) recently to help pay for my upcoming London trip as well as bills from a hockey injury a few months back.

• Like 1

On 11.6.2017 at 0:40 AM, RussTCB said:

I have a friend who has a Spin Clean and loves it. I've read a lot of good things about them over the years. 

Thanx, bought it today and have already tested on a few 2hand lp' who looks like it has been soaked in mudd:lol:, must say looks werry good so far.

even my old 7" singels sounds much better after a good clean.:heart:

I have a  Spin Clean and it is much better than any brush system dry or wet I have tried as does a good job getting the muck out of really dirty vinyl......the one downside of the Spin Clean is there is no way to dry the LP without leaving some of the old dirt still on the vinyl.

While it does wonders for really dirty tag sale or thrift store vinyl I found it did not eliminate all the surface noise because of this.

I finally broke down and bought this vacuum record cleaner and the difference is amazing. Records that still had a lot of surface noise after using the spin  clean are now very quiet. I have even removed skips on some old vinyl that looked clean and shiny before I ran them through Record Doctor cleaning machine.......after the cleaning with the Record Doctor the skip was cleared so there must have been some stubborn dirt in the groove that could not be cleared just using the Spin Clean.......

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDV&gclid=CMu__b_8uNQCFVFWDQodtu0DKA

Probably overkill but I now run all my vinyl new and used through the Spin Clean first and then clean them again with the Record Doctor to suck off all the dirty fluid and the difference is amazing...Used vinyl that was noisy before cleaning is now very quiet and a pleasure to listen to........

Don't get me wrong the Spin Clean by itself makes a big improvement in eliminating the noise from dirty records so I guess it just depends on how crazy you want to get.

Another useful accessory I highly recommend trying to find  is an old  Diskwasher Red Zerostat gun to zap the static on the vinyl after cleaning as you can introduce static during the record cleaning and this will result in the LP attracting dust and cause audible pops and clicks on playback.......The company, Reconton, that marketed the Dishwasher brand went bankrupt and sold the brand. The new Blue Milty Guns have  bad reputation for reliability so if you decide to get one of these guns I would try to get a used original Red Diskwasher  guns off of ebay. I bought a used one last year and they work great and really eliminate the static on my vinyl........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerostat-Gun-Anti-Static-Record-LP-Cleaner-Dust-Removal-Original-Box-Vintage-/302344331011?hash=item4665205f03:g:KRkAAOSwCQZZH67V

Friends of mine think I am crazy still hassling and listening to vinyl and reading the above cleaning rituals I can understand why but I still love the warmth and nostalgia of vinyl so for me it is worth the trouble.........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked a few things up:

Zakk Sabbath - Live In Detroit (wayyyyyyy pricey at $25 for 3 songs, but it was recorded in Detroit so I fell for it)
Prince - I Would Die 4 U 12" Single (Purchased solely for the B-Side, Another Lonely Christmas)
The Cure - Acoustic Hits

On 7/15/2017 at 1:40 PM, Sosso said:

My latest orders:

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (180 g vinyl)

Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures

I have to get around to getting more Cash, including Folsom.

I have that Winehouse LP though and LOVE it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I could never get into her stuff. Can you post her best 2-3 songs? (also @RussTCB recommendations please)

Back to Black, You Know I'm No Good, Me and Mr. Jones, Valerie

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I could never get into her stuff. Can you post her best 2-3 songs? (also @RussTCB recommendations please)

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Back to Black, I Told You I Was Trouble, Me and Mr. Jones, Valerie

I'd probably agree and throw in her cover of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Recent pick ups...

Peeping Tom picture disc (mike Patton)

STP - Core (RSD release from a few years ago)

The Kills - Echo Home - Non Electric EP

The Damned - Thanks For The Night/Nasty 7" on white vinyl

Anthrax - Penikufsin (Nice Fuckin' EP)

Soundgarden - Telephantasm 3LP/2cd/DVD box set

Cult - Love (original pressing)

Dogs D'amour - In the dynamite jet saloon (promo green vinyl)

Phantasm OST, the standard black version from mondo. I now have every vinyl pressing ever released of the Phantasm soundtrack as well as the singles for the main theme or remixed disco version of theme.

11kxfo4.jpg

Edited by Stiff Competition