Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Pulled the trigger on the big Stones boxed set that comes out next week. Music Direct had it for $374 with free shipping and I've got a birthday coming up next week, so I treated myself :)

Not sure if it'll arrive next Friday or it'll ship next Friday but I'm very excited to get it!

• Like 2

My Stones set is being delivered today, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

I ordered Def Leppard - Vault which was supposed to be delivered today as well. That got pushed back to Tuesday for some reason but I'll live since I have 20 LPs of Stones to get through lol. 

I just found out more U2 reissues are on the way too. I already have Achtung Baby but I bet a lot of people are going to be excited the 2LP version is coming for an affordable price. I'm super excited about Zooropa myself as I've almost way over paid for that several times. Getting it for $22 or so is going to be a treat! 

• Like 1

If anyone remembers the band Vains of Jenna, the singer Lizzy DeVine's new band is finally releasing their first album, and it'll be on vinyl. Album is called No Sign Of Relief.

Spoiler

As of now I'm waiting for:

AFD 2LP Remaster
The Cruel Intentions - No Sign Of Relief (comes out in September)
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60 (comes out July 6)
RHCP - Californication (saw it on sale, decided to grab it)
Buckethead - Live From Bucketheadland (supposedly shipping in about 2 weeks, even though I ordered it forever ago, it was apparently 'still in production' a few weeks ago).

Edited by Gordon Comstock

3 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Third Man announced the next Vault package today and it is a combination of the 3/16 Jack White show in Nashville and the one a month later in Detroit. Super stoked for this as I was at the Nashville show and even made it in to one of the 8x10 photos included with the set.

Just read about that. While I don't like his latest album, I'm excited for this Vault package. It's awesome that you were at that show and in one of the pictures! 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, found a copy of the White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan" US promo release from 2005 in a store today. Payed quite a bit for it, but it was still a really good price. There were only 300 made and there wasn't a commercial release until 10 years later. It has different album art and everything. I'm super excited to have found this one.

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 3:27 PM, AslatIE said:

Got Led Zeppelin III, my favorite LZ record

"Friends" is such a cool song

Zep III is my favorite too. Sounds really, really good on vinyl. 

Only addition to my collection as of late was Zooropa by U2, which I picked up last Friday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

picked up an MFSL pressing of Abbey Road over the weekend. Other than that, not much new.

Only Beatles MFSL that I have is the Stereo version of The White Album. I grabbed it because I have a regular Mono copy. With the differences between the Mono and Stereo editions of the album, I figured having the MFSL Stereo one would be cool.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Only Beatles MFSL that I have is the Stereo version of The White Album. I grabbed it because I have a regular Mono copy. With the differences between the Mono and Stereo editions of the album, I figured having the MFSL Stereo one would be cool.

The only other one I have is Let It Be.

I'd like to eventually pick up the big box set. I think it goes in the 700-800 range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread, here's my collection if anyone is interested:

• Metallica - Hardwired
  • Guns - UYI II, Appetite
  • twenty one pilots - Blurryface, Vessel
  • Panic! at the Disco - Pray for the Wicked, All My Friends We're Glorious, Death of a Bachelor
  • Chris Stapleton - Traveller, From a Room Vol. 1
  • Foo Fighters - Greatest Hits, Concrete and Gold
  • Green Day - God's Favorite Band
  • Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly, Black Panther

That's all I can think of right now, I'll update when I get home.

Maybe @RussTCB or someone else can lend me some quick advice.

I want to buy a relatively cheap but reliable turntable. I’d like to spend less than $200 (preferably in the $100 to $150 range) mainly because I just can’t justify $500 on one right now. The motor finally crapped out on my old junk turntable so I just want a quick replacement to do the trick for now.

I went way cheap and tried one of those suitcase style ones but out of the box the components felt cheap and 45 RPM had varying speed rendering most music unlistenable. 33 RPM was actually okay on it but nevertheless I returned it.

Quick research leads me to one of Sony’s entry level ones or Audio-Technica with the Sony being favoured since it’s fully automatic. What say any of you?

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Maybe @RussTCB or someone else can lend me some quick advice.

I want to buy a relatively cheap but reliable turntable. I’d like to spend less than $200 (preferably in the $100 to $150 range) mainly because I just can’t justify $500 on one right now. The motor finally crapped out on my old junk turntable so I just want a quick replacement to do the trick for now.

I went way cheap and tried one of those suitcase style ones but out of the box the components felt cheap and 45 RPM had varying speed rendering most music unlistenable. 33 RPM was actually okay on it but nevertheless I returned it.

Quick research leads me to one of Sony’s entry level ones or Audio-Technica with the Sony being favoured since it’s fully automatic. What say any of you?

For a starter table, I always recommend the atLP120 from audio technica. It runs 200-250 but you can find them for cheap on Craigslist and what not.

you can do a relatively cheap upgrade to the needle when you want as well to make it a little better even. It also has a built in preamp, so it can go directly in to active speakers with no preamp or reciever needed.

22 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

For a starter table, I always recommend the atLP120 from audio technica. It runs 200-250 but you can find them for cheap on Craigslist and what not.

you can do a relatively cheap upgrade to the needle when you want as well to make it a little better even. It also has a built in preamp, so it can go directly in to active speakers with no preamp or reciever needed.

I was going to say the same thing. If you can swing it @James Bond, the ATLP120 is great starter table.