Have you and Slash ever discussed Axl bailing on your book?

Marc, I was just wondering: you've expressed how disappointed you were/personally hurt by the fact that Axl kind of bailed on you and the Reckless Road book when you needed him the most.

Obviously Slash helped you out and from what I understand even attended signings of the book? I'm just curious if you and he ever discussed what happened with Axl and whether Slash had anything to say about it. Obviously their friendship dissolved a great deal of time before yours did, but I'm just wondering if he opined on Axl's actions or if he didn't really care. I also know you said Axl used to rant to you about Slash a lot... Do you and Slash ever really discuss what went down (or did you ever tell Slash about the things Axl was saying) or is it something you kind of avoid bringing up?

In 2008 I did talk to Slash about Axl. I was worried about Axl after Beta called me to tell me that I said some bad things in an interview and then she said hold on and Axl got on the phone and said is this Marc and I said yes and then he went to town on me at the top of his lungs for about 2 minutes and slammed the phone. First of all he totally miss interpreted what I was saying but It made me sick to hear him so upset. I did talk to Slash about it because I was very concerned about Axl and I also talked to Doug Goldstein about it too.

Slash already knew that Axl was on the edge at that time. Thats why when he started touring again in 2009, I was happy to see him out and about. It kills me to see Axl not enjoying himself and his success. He worked hard to earn that. Life is too short so there is no time to get hung up on that kind of bad energy that was keeping him down. Other then that Slash asked me a few times around that time "when is Axl going to put out his record" as if I had the answer to that. I told himthat I had heard a lot of the songs and that they sounded good He knew that Axl didn't support the book anymore but he didn't really know that he also stopped talking to me.

Was that the last time you talked to Axl? When did Slash find out you two were no longer speaking and what was his reaction?

Sort of my question as well. I'm more curious when you say you "talked with Slash about Axl" what does Slash say in those conversations? Is he concern for Axl? Does he care about him at all? Only because I know he's moved on and loves his new band and music so I wonder what his feelings are about Axl these days. I feel its probably a sense of "I don't really care", but I wonder if its a hope to rekindle a friendship (I don't mean a reunion tour) or if he couldn't care less about him now and prefers not to talk about him, even with a close friend like you.

Maybe this has been answered before, but what was the specific issue in the book that caused axl to scream at you an add you to the excommunication pile?

It was not in the book it was something I said in an interview. I was defending Axl for something that was not his fault and the person thought I was a bit rough on Slash by what I had said so I said something like don't get me wrong Slash had to eat shit for years but it was worth it for the music they were able to put out.

Axl was upset at me and yelled at me some of the times that he had to eat shit too. They all eat some shit that is what people do when they are in a business of that nature together. Thats how sensitive he is. I had just got done defending him and that he didn't see. He somehow only saw what he thought was something negative.

Was that the last time you talked to Axl? When did Slash find out you two were no longer speaking and what was his reaction?

Sort of my question as well. I'm more curious when you say you "talked with Slash about Axl" what does Slash say in those conversations? Is he concern for Axl? Does he care about him at all? Only because I know he's moved on and loves his new band and music so I wonder what his feelings are about Axl these days. I feel its probably a sense of "I don't really care", but I wonder if its a hope to rekindle a friendship (I don't mean a reunion tour) or if he couldn't care less about him now and prefers not to talk about him, even with a close friend like you.

Slash does care about Axl the same way Axl cared about Slash when he was in the hospital back in the late 90's for heart problems. Remember people don't have to like each other but can still love them because of the history of when things were better.

• Like 1

That was the last time I talked to Axl. I think Slash knows that Axl is upset with me and thats what Axl does when he is upset but also knows that the history between Axl and I is strong and that it will work its self out at some point.

Slash does care about Axl the same way Axl cared about Slash when he was in the hospital back in the late 90's for heart problems. Remember people don't have to like each other but can still love them because of the history of when things were better.

I have not heard about this, what was Axl's reaction to hearing about Slash's heart problems? Could you go into a little more detail, please?

I have not heard about this, what was Axl's reaction to hearing about Slash's heart problems? Could you go into a little more detail, please?

Its simple, even though Axl didn't like Slash, he didn't want to see him die.

Wow. I guess Axls response to Steven and Duff being in the hospital was similar.

Marc, was Beta trying to calm the situation, prior to him getting on the phone, or was she giving Axls side when he decided to get on the phone?

Wow. I guess Axls response to Steven and Duff being in the hospital was similar.

Marc, was Beta trying to calm the situation, prior to him getting on the phone, or was she giving Axls side when he decided to get on the phone?

No she was telling me why did you say those bad things about Axl, She had read them too and thought the same way that Axl felt. However in 2007 when I sent Beta an email with my book info that I already told her about before and told her that I needed to interview Axl for the book and that we were not able to wait any longer for the record to come out. Axl had intercepted the email and when through the roof. I guess they didn't tell him that my book was coming out even though I had told everyone and their mother 6 months before that I found a publisher to put out by work. So I think that email was a shock to Axl. Anyways Beta called me and wanted me to try to calm Axl down so she was trying to work with me that time and later on Axl and I had some emails going back and forth and I talked to her then and she was helpfull.

Edited by recklessroad

No she was telling me why did you say those bad things about Axl, She had read them too and thought the same way that Axl felt.
Seems kinda messed up that shes in the middle of something between you and Axl.

I hate to say it but Beta has cut Axl off from most of the people from the Appetite days, the people who really care.

How could she possibly think that him not talking to his life long freinds is better for him then to be working issues out. Unreal.

Marc, thanks for sharing these stories with us as they really give us an inside look at the complicated world of GNR...you already have the best book I have ever read about a band, I have 3 copies of it, but these stories take things to another level.

I hope the light bulb goes off for Axl someday and he realizes that all of you, yes including Slash, actually care about him and he can get some closure with you all.

Marc- we all know Axl is awaiting the grand apology from Slash....have you apologized/reached out to him about the misunderstanding that lead to his being mad at you and did you get a response?

In the email that we had back in 2008 and I thought we left off somewhat ok. However remember I do lots of interviews and I'm sure if he misunderstood me before, then by now I'm in way deep.

Marc,

It seems that if you can somehow heal the relation with Axl, that could be the way for better future in many sense.

Do you think, that Axl and Slash has many mutual friends?

This is, infact, very important question.

Edited by rckn

In 2008 I did talk to Slash about Axl. I was worried about Axl after Beta called me to tell me that I said some bad things in an interview and then she said hold on and Axl got on the phone and said is this Marc and I said yes and then he went to town on me at the top of his lungs for about 2 minutes and slammed the phone. First of all he totally miss interpreted what I was saying but It made me sick to hear him so upset. I did talk to Slash about it because I was very concerned about Axl and I also talked to Doug Goldstein about it too.

Slash already knew that Axl was on the edge at that time. Thats why when he started touring again in 2009, I was happy to see him out and about. It kills me to see Axl not enjoying himself and his success. He worked hard to earn that. Life is too short so there is no time to get hung up on that kind of bad energy that was keeping him down. Other then that Slash asked me a few times around that time "when is Axl going to put out his record" as if I had the answer to that. I told himthat I had heard a lot of the songs and that they sounded good He knew that Axl didn't support the book anymore but he didn't really know that he also stopped talking to me.

I have to ask. How did Slash know Axl was on edge?

I take it that Axl is the type of person who replays things he reads about himself "over and over" in his head, dissecting them from every angle, as his imagination runs wild? Do you think he reads this forum on a regular basis?

The fact that he did the chats a few years ago means that he was on here and read something he didn't like and felt the need to jump in which was great to see him get some things off of his chest. I would hope that he is not reading this stuff anymore because there are some assholes here that what they have to say would only set him back. Also the fact that he said in an interview a little while ago that he didn't read Duffs book is also a good thing. I think it shows that he is able to move on and not worry about people are saying because in the end it doesn't matter.

Marc,

It seem´s that if you can somehow heal the relation with Axl, that could be the way for better future in many sense.

Do you think, that Axl and Slash has many mutual friends?

This is, infact, very important question.

I do think they have some mutual friends. Most of them would probably me musicians but none of them would be able to get Axl to talk to Slash. It would have to be a professional. Someone that can talk to each of them separate to really know what the problem is and then to first explain them that its not that hard to fix it.