BANNER COMPETITION INSIDE - Design a new banner with the old, new or both bands

CoolRanchDressing

I know that since the dawn of the forum, the mods have tried to be supportive as possible of Axl's doomed quest to create a new gnr. But it's 2013 ... Chinese Democracy is over, those musicians are long gone, it seems pretty unlikely that the touring line up is recording anything, much less releasing anything (and certainly nothing that would come close to standing on even ground with the classics), the Hall of Fame is over... How much longer is a picture is Chris Pitman going to grace the banner of this site instead of Slash, Duff, Izzy and drummer? how fucking weird must that look to casual gnr fans who stumble upon this place?

Again, it's 2013. Can we just be honest with ourselves now?

Edited by highvoltage
Edited title, see post #3

Allowing us to talk about HOF gnr in the main section was an awesome step in the right direction! When I told my friends who knew nothing of the forum world about that change, it blew their minds there were ever rules against HOF gnr talk in the first place. It just seems so obvious to casual fans outside of the forum microcosm.

Edited by CoolRanchDressing
  • Like 1

I know that since the dawn of the forum, the mods have tried to be supportive as possible of Axl's doomed quest to create a new gnr. But it's 2013 ... Chinese Democracy is over, those musicians are long gone, it seems pretty unlikely that the touring line up is recording anything, much less releasing anything (and certainly nothing that would come close to standing on even ground with the classics), the Hall of Fame is over... How much longer is a picture is Chris Pitman going to grace the banner of this site instead of Slash, Duff, Izzy and drummer? how fucking weird must that look to casual gnr fans who stumble upon this place?

Funny you ask. I'd be open to a banner including the Hall Of Famers, the new band or whatever. I'd been planning on making a new one including both the new band and the classic lineup, or something a little different altogether. The current banner was only ever supposed to be temporary! The guy I had designing a new one never came through in the end.

If anyone wants to try their hand at one, I would love to see some attempts! It's set up a bit weird as it scales for different sixed displays, so there are some design considerations:

• The "full" current banner (1920px wide) http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_images/MyGNRForum_3_4_3_IMG/banner.jpg
  • On different sized displays, the edges will be cut off. On most laptops` only the middle 1366 pixels are shown.
  • The logo and the search box sit over the edges... so if you use the current banner as a guide, the part that people are mostly going to see is where the full band pic is now

Top 3 submissions get a year's Supporter benefits! :)

Also, I'm sorry guys - I hid some posts (there was nothing wrong with them) so that mine would be close to the top. I'm going to modify the thread title too, just so more people might see it. :)

If we're going to include the HOF band as well as the touring line up, it hardly seems fair to exclude the CD line up(s). Arguably, they have more fans and have contributed more to the gnr legacy than the present touring line up has.

But would it look silly with thirty people in the banner?

Edited by CoolRanchDressing

Funny you ask. I'd be open to a banner including the Hall Of Famers, the new band or whatever. I'd been planning on making a new one including both the new band and the classic lineup, or something a little different altogether. The current banner was only ever supposed to be temporary! The guy I had designing a new one never came through in the end.

If anyone wants to try their hand at one, I would love to see some attempts! It's set up a bit weird as it scales for different sixed displays, so there are some design considerations:

• The "full" current banner (1920px wide) http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_images/MyGNRForum_3_4_3_IMG/banner.jpg
  • On different sized displays, the edges will be cut off. On most laptops` only the middle 1366 pixels are shown.
  • The logo and the search box sit over the edges... so if you use the current banner as a guide, the part that people are mostly going to see is where the full band pic is now
Top 3 submissions get a year's Supporter benefits! :)

Also, I'm sorry guys - I hid some posts (there was nothing wrong with them) so that mine would be close to the top. I'm going to modify the thread title too, just so more people might see it. :)

Great idea. I wish I had some artistic talent.

Great idea. I wish I had some artistic talent.

Ditto. With the pretty respectable " there are no eras, there is just GNR" take forum has taken, it'd be nice if this was presently visible via banners and such too.

Edited by LTD

The banner should include everyone who has ever been a member......ever, everyone, all of them. The greatest banner of all time !!

Go go go go do it now !

good idea!

anyway what's are the supporter benefits? :P

Free towel

• Like 1

a fake gnr hall of fame banner would give more power to the cupcakes that already run/ruin this place, i agree with a banner that represents gnr from '87 to '13 but not hof "gnr".

"Power" on a web forum? :lol:

a fake gnr hall of fame banner would give more power to the cupcakes that already run/ruin this place, i agree with a banner that represents gnr from '87 to '13 but not hof "gnr".

"Power" on a web forum? :lol:

yeah...guys like u already make us be a part of gnr's shit list so yeah cupcakes can have power in a "web forum"

The thing is, this "lineup" is sterile. Current representation of "GNR" or not, they're mainly just a parody and don't seem to be ever journeying out of that depiction.

Might as well use the members who best represent GNR to the masses: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy.

Although, I'd be cool with everybody that's played under the banner just to keep all hell from breaking loose around here.

Jeez some of you really know how to over-react. We just want a new banner. Old band, new band, whatever - I just want it to look good!

I brought it up in this thread because I thought it was a good opportunity to mention it - not because we're specifically seeking a banner with the old members in it.

Quit making it out to be some grand statement: it's not. The sky won't cave in and the site won't change whether the old members are in the banner or not.