Rank Michael Jackson's albums

Iron MikeyJ

Off The Wall is the fashionable MJ album, the one the critics will admit to liking. It was before the hype and the hoopla and before his life turned into a circus.

No way near his best though. If you did this poll on any MJ forum, Dangerous would win by a landslide, probably followed by Bad and HIStory.

Rock With You's a cracking tune though eh? :)

Indeed.

MJ was the greatest musician who ever lived. Maybe not ever but definitely of the 20th century. People say what they will about Elvis and I love Elvis, but MJ was a global phenomenon like no other, he produced his own work, and even at the end, even when he was a "joke" people still went nuts over seeing him. His press conference for the this is it tour was a hit and the tickets were selling like hot cakes. He was still relevant and a huge icon in pop culture even as his end came. Whereas Elvis was kind of a fading star trapped in a boring routine, sort of the way Axl has become now. No one really cared about Elvis in 1977, I've read his records were put in the oldies sections and stores didn't even bother carrying his new records or they went immediately into bargain bins. Elvis only became the legend he is when he died. MJ was a legend while he was still breathing.

• Like 1

Off The Wall is the fashionable MJ album, the one the critics will admit to liking. It was before the hype and the hoopla and before his life turned into a circus.

No way near his best though. If you did this poll on any MJ forum, Dangerous would win by a landslide, probably followed by Bad and HIStory.

Indeed.

MJ was the greatest musician who ever lived. Maybe not ever but definitely of the 20th century. People say what they will about Elvis and I love Elvis, but MJ was a global phenomenon like no other, he produced his own work, and even at the end, even when he was a "joke" people still went nuts over seeing him. His press conference for the this is it tour was a hit and the tickets were selling like hot cakes. He was still relevant and a huge icon in pop culture even as his end came. Whereas Elvis was kind of a fading star trapped in a boring routine, sort of the way Axl has become now. No one really cared about Elvis in 1977, I've read his records were put in the oldies sections and stores didn't even bother carrying his new records or they went immediately into bargain bins. Elvis only became the legend he is when he died. MJ was a legend while he was still breathing.

James Brown, did the same thing, did it better, was more original, invented entire genres within which the above mentioned partially functioned and changed the face of music. The only thing James Brown weren't was bigger than Jacko, and acute racism had a lot to do with that.

Indeed.

Ehh, like Invincible? Elvis had a hit record, the year he died (Moody Blue)! Jackson had not had a hit in years before he died. You are speaking out of your arsehole.

MJ was the greatest musician who ever lived.

Compared to Beethoven, Mozart and Bach, he could barely play an instrument! Absolute hyperbole.

I guess it's the same as the GNR fans who'd put CD over AFD (of which I am one).

I love HIStory. They Don't Care About Us is probably my favourite MJ song of all time.

Yeah TDCAU, Earth Song and Stranger in Moscow are all among my favorites, but there's just too much forgettable stuff (This Time Around, DS, 2 Bad, Childhood, etc.) for me to put it over Thriller, which has no real bad spots imo. Even the two lesser known tracks (Baby Be Mine and The Lady In My Life) are pretty good.

And even on GNR forums, people preferring CD to AFD are a definite minority (unless you're on MSL's site). You made it sound like the majority of MJ forum posters would put History over Thriller.

MJ was the greatest musician who ever lived. Maybe not ever but definitely of the 20th century.

axl rose being a close second, right? :lol:

frankly, stevie wonder and marvin gaye are better artists than mj

Yes...yes...yes...YES!!!!!! Finally, a poster with some common sense!! Marv' and Stevie Wonder, thank you thank you and thank you thrice, I'd like that post a bajillion times if I could. People need to listen to Marvin Gaye and actually clock whats goin' on in those songs in terms of the composition of them, something like Inner City Blues and Marv's on fire, literally the beautifullest voice ever on a human being...and all those inter-locking hums and harmonies, it's fuckin' fantastic and intricate and....nice to see some good taste around here, Marvin Gaye, spot on :)

I guess it's the same as the GNR fans who'd put CD over AFD (of which I am one).

I love HIStory. They Don't Care About Us is probably my favourite MJ song of all time.

Yeah TDCAU, Earth Song and Stranger in Moscow are all among my favorites, but there's just too much forgettable stuff (This Time Around, DS, 2 Bad, Childhood, etc.) for me to put it over Thriller, which has no real bad spots imo. Even the two lesser known tracks (Baby Be Mine and The Lady In My Life) are pretty good.

And even on GNR forums, people preferring CD to AFD are a definite minority (unless you're on MSL's site). You made it sound like the majority of MJ forum posters would put History over Thriller.

I love every single song on HIStory bar the pointless inclusion of Come Together and YANA (a bit too drippy for me). Even songs like Money, DS, This Time Around... they're full of passion and angst. I would take them over The Girl Is Mine or PYT any day of the week.

When Michael was singing straight he sang like a fuckin' angel. In his later career, mostly solo, when he was doing that falsetto kind of staccato bursts a'la (sorry Towelie!) James Brown it kinda became a bit samey and...not as good.

But like when you hear him as a kid singing things like Ben and Ain't No Sunshine and Christ almighty did his fuckin' voice soar. It's like a shot of adrenaline when you heard it...and then you see it comin' out of this tiny little kid, it looks so unnatural and freakish and sounds so beautiful.

Nobody is denying he was talented, perhaps the most talented popular music act of the last forty years, but it is hyperbolic statements such as, ''better than Elvis'', and, ''the greatest musician ever'' which I take offense at. ''Greatest musician'' ever!!! Let me tell you something here. Musicologists believe JS Bach had the greatest musical brain ever. His polyphony was so complicated that he would have three or four fugues or canons, all interlocked and all, being in key! It is believed his musical brain operated like no other human being's, almost mathematical. Now Bach, might be a contender for 'greatest musician of all time'. What about child prodigy's such as Mozart or Beethoven, or virtuoso such as Paganini and Liszt, who used to wow audiences with their instrumental skills? Jackson may have thumbed around on a keyboard however his musicality was poor in comparison to those. He had no formal musical skills.

• Like 2

Nobody is denying he was talented, perhaps the most talented popular music act of the last forty years, but it is hyperbolic statements such as, ''better than Elvis''

How is that hyperbolic? Both are considered gods of their genre, and MJ has the edge in that he actually wrote a lot of his hits. He is objectively better in that sense.

Edited by bacardimayne

Rod Temperton differs.

Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough, Bad, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, The Way You Make Me Feel, Dirty Diana, Smooth Criminal, Black or White, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us

All credited solely to MJ. But no, Temperton wrote two singles from Off the Wall, you win.