Rank Michael Jackson's albums

Iron MikeyJ

Rod Temperton differs.

Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough, Bad, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, The Way You Make Me Feel, Dirty Diana, Smooth Criminal, Black or White, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us

All credited solely to MJ. But no, Temperton wrote two singles from Off the Wall, you win.

You are not even correct, within your own argument.

Off the Wall

Off The Wall, Rock With You, Burn This Disco Out,

Thriller

Baby Be Mine, The Lady in My Life, Thriller

All (Temperton).

Rod Temperton differs.

Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough, Bad, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, The Way You Make Me Feel, Dirty Diana, Smooth Criminal, Black or White, Earth Song, They Don't Care About Us

All credited solely to MJ. But no, Temperton wrote two singles from Off the Wall, you win.

You are not even correct, within your own argument.

Off the Wall

Off The Wall, Rock With You, Burn This Disco Out,

Thriller

Baby Be Mine, The Lady in My Life, Thriller

All (Temperton).

Of those, three are singles. So I digress, I missed one.

MJ still wrote every single I listed, so tell me how it's hyperbolic to claim he's better than Elvis.

With Elvis, you don't need the songwriting. Elvis had an intuitive sense of the American song lexicon. Old country songs were amalgamated with blues, gospel, easy listening, folk, into a whole product which was rock n' roll. Later on, he adopted big band, soul, etc. Elvis did not have to write songs. He inherently absorbed the influence of songs while growing up. He became the greatest interpreter of American song, of the 20th century.

• Like 1

I'm not denying what Elvis did accomplish or anything like that. I've had enough Elvis arguments in this section for the decade. All I'm saying is that MJ's accomplishments are immense, and it's hardly baseless hyperbole to put one over the other.

MJ - most successful album of all time, wrote and performed multiple #1 hits, revolutionized the art of the music video, hugely successful career spanning over 3 decades, crowned the "king of pop" by the general populace

I could take your post and rewrite it with all of the things MJ did to pop music, he's a fucking music legend and you have to respect that.

As far as I'm concerned, the all-time great popular musician list goes something like this (ignoring classical for sanity's sake):

1. The Beatles

2. Chuck Berry

3. Michael Jackson

4. Jimi Hendrix

5. The Rolling Stones

Elvis would probably fall somewhere in the next few. I used a complex mathematical formula with influence, popularity, lasting appeal, talent and innovation as variables in this. It is objective.

Didn't Michael Jackson create the name The King Of Pop and demand MTV refer to him that way?

Even if so, why was he in a position to make those demands?

because he was an egomaniac?

that would be my best guess

Edited by Sixes

• 4 weeks later...

I need to force myself to bust out Invincible again. Went to do so the other night and yet again just ended up listening to Bad and most of HIStory

I'm about as big of an MJ fan as they come and I just can't get into that album. Honestly I'd take his J5 era solo stuff over Invinciable. You rock my world is the only decent thing on it, which I do like that song.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

I need to force myself to bust out Invincible again. Went to do so the other night and yet again just ended up listening to Bad and most of HIStory

I'm about as big of an MJ fan as they come and I just can't get into that album. Honestly I'd take his J5 era solo stuff over Invinciable. You rock my world is the only decent thing on it, which I do like that song.

I actually don't even like You Rock My World all that much. The only tune I always remember liking on it is Speechless.

Even if Michael had tried to get Quincy and the band that played on Thriller back together again in the studio, I don't think it could have worked. It was a product of its time and what was pop in the early 80s. I wish he did a Blood on the Dance Floor (or whatever the name would be) as a double album of new music instead of History and using the hits to sell it. I don't know if this was a compromise or he was establishing a legacy 20 years ago. It's the only album that seems like it gets in his head. It's not his best album but comes off as his most personal.

I actually think Invincible is really underrated. The first half of the album up to and including Speechless is exceptional. Songs like Break Of Dawn and Butterflies are amongst his most soulful tracks since the Off The Wall days, and up-tempos such as Heartbreaker, You Rock My World and Unbreakable are as good as any of the dance numbers on Dangerous imo.

The album goes off the rails a bit during the second half though.... the sequencing is terrible, the ballad to up-tempo ratio is all over the place and it could definitely do with cutting out a few tracks. It manages to recover by the end, with Whatever Happens which is an exceptional song with Carlos Santana and Threatened which is both quirky and funky in equal measures.

Edited by Towelie