Prince

luciusfunk

Inspired by the Prince VMA thread and the Batman soundtrack (what an awful album!) thread.

I'm not too familiar with Prince, I mainly know the hits. I used to have Sign 'O' the Times on disc but apparently lost it at some point.

I downloaded his entire discography this morning and I listened to Batman and Sign 'O' the Times (still one of my favorites). Now I'm listening to Purple Rain.

Prince was my "other"favorite in the 80s.

1980-88(dirty mind-lovesexy)is classic.

I'd make that 1999 to Sign O The Times and tack on Diamonds and Pearls.

I cannot get into Lovesexy for the life of me. I thought after getting SOTT I might get Lovesexy but I love SOTT and still don't get Lovesexy.

Prince was my "other"favorite in the 80s.

1980-88(dirty mind-lovesexy)is classic.

I'd make that 1999 to Sign O The Times and tack on Diamonds and Pearls.

I cannot get into Lovesexy for the life of me. I thought after getting SOTT I might get Lovesexy but I love SOTT and still don't get Lovesexy.

You know the whole deal about how he made The Black Album, then realized it was very dark, so he made Lovesexy to replace it. Alphabet Street aka The Oral Sex Song was supposed to be the big hit single, but I was never crazy about it. Anna Stesia is the true gem of the album, and When 2 R In Love is one of his best ballads.

BTW I think the Gold Experience, Emancipation and Crystal Ball are among his best albums. Then in 1999 he changed his musical style for The Vault and so began a 7-year period where he was basically nothing more than a mellow jazz musician, which is fine if that's what you're into. Not coincidentally, 1999 is when Larry Graham began converting Prince to JW.

Ummm... you do realise that The Vault is mostly comprised of unreleased sessions dating back from the late 80s?? It was the third and last "contractual obligation" release owing to Warner Bros (the other two being Come and Chaos & Disorder).

I would hardly say he became a "mellow jazz musician". 1999's underrated Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic was his most commercial release in years, 2001's The Rainbow Children had some jazz influences as did the snooze-inducing instrumental album N.E.W.S. from the same year. But One Nite Alone was a beautiful piano acoustic album and by Musicology in 2004, he was pretty much back to standard Prince.

Much of his best work never actually made it onto an album, particularly in the 80s when he was literally shitting out great music. If you haven't already done so, every Prince fan should check out songs like: All My Dreams (his crowning achievement of the 80s IMO),The Line, Train, Electric Intercourse, Love Thy Will Be Done, When Eye Lay My Hands On U, Moonbeam Levels.... etc.

Edited by Towelie

Inspired by the Prince VMA thread and the Batman soundtrack (what an awful album!) thread.

I'm not too familiar with Prince, I mainly know the hits. I used to have Sign 'O' the Times on disc but apparently lost it at some point.

I downloaded his entire discography this morning and I listened to Batman and Sign 'O' the Times (still one of my favorites). Now I'm listening to Purple Rain.

If you downloaded the entire discography, listen to Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic as soon as humanly possible.

Ummm... you do realise that The Vault is mostly comprised of unreleased sessions dating back from the late 80s?? It was the third and last "contractual obligation" release owing to Warner Bros (the other two being Come and Chaos & Disorder).

I would hardly say he became a "mellow jazz musician". 1999's underrated Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic was his most commercial release in years, 2001's The Rainbow Children had some jazz influences as did the snooze-inducing instrumental album N.E.W.S. from the same year. But One Nite Alone was a beautiful piano acoustic album and by Musicology in 2004, he was pretty much back to standard Prince.

Much of his best work never actually made it onto an album, particularly in the 80s when he was literally shitting out great music. If you haven't already done so, every Prince fan should check out songs like: All My Dreams (his crowning achievement of the 80s IMO),The Line, Train, Electric Intercourse, Love Thy Will Be Done, When Eye Lay My Hands On U, Moonbeam Levels.... etc.

Yeah I did know about The Vault (hence the name ;)), I think he chose to finally put out those specific leftovers not only to fulfill his contractual obligation but also because they reflected his shift in musical style at that time. For me personally, I was never more disappointed than when I got home and listened to Rainbow Children for the first time. Way, way too much use of horns for my liking.

I completely agree about his work from the 80's. Many of his B-sides from that period are among his greatest songs - She's Always In My Hair, 17 Days, Another Lonely Christmas, Erotic City, Irresistible Bitch. I'm familiar with some but not all of those songs you mentioned, Love Thy Will Be Done was performed at his last concert I attended. I'll definitely check out the others.

Have you heard The Undertaker? GREAT song!!!

You absolutely have to check out All My Dreams - the peak of his work with Wendy & Lisa and IMO his greatest ever song. You're right about his b-sides, in fact I would say that The B-Sides album was in the top 10 most essential Prince albums. I particularly love Hello (his answer to the critics who blasted him for refusing to take part in MJ's We Are The World) and Power Fantastic is just other-worldly - I can't believe it was recorded in only one take.

What's your favourite album from the 90's??

I saw Prince in 2004 and he closed with The Ride. I just about shit myself.

:lol:

Ain't it great going to a concert and not knowing which songs out of a possible 500+ will be performed that night. ;)

Yep. We saw the show at Joe Louis Arena and had tickets in a suite. The suites at JLA are attached to the ceiling and we had an open bar the whole night. When he started The Ride, I was loaded and beyond excited. I stood up on the railing and was holding on to the ceiling. About 30 seconds into the song I had a moment of clarity and thought "This is how people fall from shit at sporting events and die!" haha, so I stepped down and moved a few rows back for the rest of the song lol.

If you downloaded the entire discography, listen to Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic as soon as humanly possible.

I didn't care for it. :shrugs:

• 3 months later...

I have the hits and b-sides 3-disc set and listen to it pretty regularly.

Stop being a poof and get the real albums. You won't be disappointed.

Just got the self titled out. Bambi and When we're Dancing Close and Slow... don't get better than that. Sure as shit don't get worse than Sexy Dancer either.