Prince

luciusfunk

Guest Len B'stard

Whatever it is I quite like it...it's quite danceable isn't it? Primarily I remember him from like 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' which, though wasn't a bad song it was like...if this is his sort of stuff I'm buggered if I'm gonna listen to him fannying on with an albums worth of that kinda stuff. But he's really pretty alright, the handful of songs i've heard, Thank you Towelie and Jay, I apologise for my prior ignorant and arse-brained comments, i made them because...well, i'm an arse-brain sometimes :lol:

Him looking a ponce btw was never an issue, i'm a New York Dolls and Bowie fan so looking like a poof doesn't really put me off :lol: Parts of it kinda reminded me of Bowie too, for some reason.

Edited by sugaraylen

More suggestions for Len:

Sign O The Times is kinda like his UYI. It's a double album and shows his more serious side as a songwriter. Probably his most critically acclaimed album and with good reason.

Parade is a great album, if a little arty farty in places. Probably his most band-centric album, with Wendy & Lisa bringing out new influences in his songwriting.

Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic is probably his best 90s album, although if you go from the 80s albums straight to this it's a big departure in sound. I Love U But I Don't Trust U Anymore is his best ballad ever IMO.

More suggestions for Len:

Sign O The Times is kinda like his UYI. It's a double album and shows his more serious side as a songwriter. Probably his most critically acclaimed album and with good reason.

Parade is a great album, if a little arty farty in places. Probably his most band-centric album, with Wendy & Lisa bringing out new influences in his songwriting.

Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic is probably his best 90s album, although if you go from the 80s albums straight to this it's a big departure in sound. I Love U But I Don't Trust U Anymore is his best ballad ever IMO.

That's exactly why he fucked up losing Wendy and Lisa. Sometimes it Snows in April with just the three of them? Fuck me. I can't think of a time I ain't never felt that song down to the marrow and even just shit like I Wonder U....too fuckin cool.

Yeah, Parade is actually my favourite Prince record and Wendy & Lisa were a massive part of why I love it.

Have you heard All My Dreams? It was originally intended as the closing track of Parade (Sometimes It Snows was actually placed in the middle of the album), it's probably my all time favourite Prince track. The song just epitomises everything that was so great about the Parade era to me.

And Len, The Most Beautiful Girl In The World is in no way indicative of the sound of his music. It's like people who think Paul McCartney only writes songs like Let It Be.....

Edited by Towelie

What are your favourite Sign tunes Russ?

Off the top of my head: Starfish & Coffee, Thieves In The Temple, Sign 'O' The Times, I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man to name a few.

I actually got to sign I Could Never Take The Place with a Prince tribute band in Vegas last January:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/izcz6o7181mckur/Purple_Reign.MP4

If you chose to download, the fun begins around the 1:45 mark.

What the fuck you cunts stop shitting on Take Me With U. :lol: That's one of his best songs ever IMO. Beats Computer Blue and the assless chaps gayness of Baby I'm a Star.

You've GOT to be kidding! Hey if it's about Apollonia then I'll give you a pass, otherwise TMWU sounds like Karaoke night. :lol:

What the fuck. This is such a frustrating post BAARRRRGGGHH! :lol:

Around The World In A Day is his Sgt Peppers, very psychadelic. But man I can't stand Tamborine, even though I usually get shit from people for saying that. :lol:

You deserve it you giant twat :lol:

My medley post up there reminded me: Has anyone else heard the acoustic medley that's floating around with Cream, I Could Never Take The Place and others? It's freakin bad ass. I can upload it for anyone who hasn't heard it. It's a sound board recording and I've never heard anything else from the same performance but I'd love to find the rest.

To be honest, Len, people are just telling you their favorite songs.

Prince is one of the most diverse and create musical artists alive.

Two people can both love Prince - and have their top 10 "songs" be completely different. Not one song the same. That's probably a statement you can't make about any other band.

My best advice for you is to just start at the beginning and work your way through each album. He has went through so many stages as an artist, you really can't get a feel for him just by listening to a few greatest hit suggestions. He's does funk, RnB, rock, jazz, psychedelic, new age, sex, love, pop, dance.....the guy had just done it all. You can listen to two albums back-to-back and go "wow, is this even the same guy?"

A lot of bands you can tell somebody to go listen to these 5-6 songs and see if you like them or not.

But with Prince, the best route is for you to just start at the beginning.

Just go back and listen to each album. From album one through his latest release.

I guarantee you will love a bunch of hit. Hate a bunch of it. Cringe at some of it. But at the end, you'll say "wow, this is one talented c*nt." (I know you like that word).