Does someone around here...

VicVanceGN'R

The LA Times got the chance to catch up with audio engineer Mark Gray, who recorded some of Axl's vocals for the Chinese Democracy album during the Palms Studio sessions of 2006.

Next month will mark two years since audio engineer Mark Gray, 31, dropped by the studio at the Palms to say goodbye to his co-workers before departing for a vacation. His boss asked him if he would be willing to come back early to do some just-booked sessions. "I went from 'no way,' " he recalls, "to changing my plane ticket right away." All it took to change his mind is what the sessions were for recording. And, on Dec. 27, 2006, Gray found himself one of the many engineers to be connected to the legendary Guns N' Roses disc "Chinese Democracy."

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are "Chinese Democracy," "Madagascar" and "Prostitute." Despite the years and controversies that accompanied over a decade-long (The Palms was years from being built when Rose started work on the album) process of creating "Chinese Democracy," Gray found Rose focused in their sessions at the end of 2006. Gray recalls:

"He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' "

And even if it took two more years for the results to be released, Gray was sure the album would eventually come out based on what he heard during those weeks working with Rose. While Gray was happy to play his tiny part in the disc, of course, he is happier now that "Chinese Democracy" is available to all, with Gray's engineering work from 2006 integrated into the finished disc. Gray notes of the sessions:

"This is Guns N' Roses. I had the butterflies in the stomach the night before each night. It was absolutely special. When you hear his voice, it was a highlight of my career. He just went in and sang. He was living with the record a long time by then, and he really knew what he wanted to do. He proved a good guy to be around. We would start about 5 or 6 in the evening, hitting tape by 7. We worked five or six hours. These were great sessions. It was a great moment in the studio for me, and it was technically flawless."

Source: LA Times

• Like 3

Shackler's was apparently written about Virginia Tech, so that one couldn't have been recorded until at least 2007?

wasn't it about a similar chicago shooting in the 90s, where the police or someone cited mr. brownstone as the reason the guy went on the rampage.

Edited by wasted

Mygnr: I am curious., does anybody here really think that Buckethead spent any significant time working for GN'R after the aborted 2002 tour..?

I know the press release didnt come out until 2004, but I really DOUBT Buckethead was recording parts for the album in 2003 and 2004. That seems highly unlikely. Marc confirmed that the album was done by 2001.

Edited by PedoGNR

Shackler's was apparently written about Virginia Tech, so that one couldn't have been recorded until at least 2007?

Really? How would that explain Bucket being involved in the recording of it in that case?

Agreed. I've never heard any mention of it being linked to the VT shootings.

Bacardi, do you remember where you read that?

He's actually correct. Axl mentioned this during the forum chats.

The song (and title) came well before the lyrics. I believe the title came from a film that Buckethead originally wrote the song for... the film got canned, Axl read the script, liked it and wanted to write the lyrics to it (possibly influenced by it too). After the Virginia Tech massacre, the media were reporting that the killer wrote a script titled Mr Brownstone... he also said that he drew inspiration from those events. Not just the massacre itself, but the way the media reported on it.

Axl: Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail.

That said, listening for my own enjoyment or if we were to make a video or performing it I lean more to the entertainment of a horror flick or something like Dexter, something with an interesting menacing character as opposed to real life.

Really? How would that explain Bucket being involved in the recording of it in that case?

Lyrics-wise. Music-wise it's just an old unused Bucket song.

Agreed. I've never heard any mention of it being linked to the VT shootings.

Bacardi, do you remember where you read that?

Someone on here probably. I've heard it plenty of times.

Lyrics-wise. Music-wise it's just an old unused Bucket song.

Aha! Gotcha! :)

The LA Times got the chance to catch up with audio engineer Mark Gray, who recorded some of Axl's vocals for the Chinese Democracy album during the Palms Studio sessions of 2006.

Next month will mark two years since audio engineer Mark Gray, 31, dropped by the studio at the Palms to say goodbye to his co-workers before departing for a vacation. His boss asked him if he would be willing to come back early to do some just-booked sessions. "I went from 'no way,' " he recalls, "to changing my plane ticket right away." All it took to change his mind is what the sessions were for recording. And, on Dec. 27, 2006, Gray found himself one of the many engineers to be connected to the legendary Guns N' Roses disc "Chinese Democracy."

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are "Chinese Democracy," "Madagascar" and "Prostitute." Despite the years and controversies that accompanied over a decade-long (The Palms was years from being built when Rose started work on the album) process of creating "Chinese Democracy," Gray found Rose focused in their sessions at the end of 2006. Gray recalls:

"He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, 'I can get the part better' or 'I can tighten it up.' "

And even if it took two more years for the results to be released, Gray was sure the album would eventually come out based on what he heard during those weeks working with Rose. While Gray was happy to play his tiny part in the disc, of course, he is happier now that "Chinese Democracy" is available to all, with Gray's engineering work from 2006 integrated into the finished disc. Gray notes of the sessions:

"This is Guns N' Roses. I had the butterflies in the stomach the night before each night. It was absolutely special. When you hear his voice, it was a highlight of my career. He just went in and sang. He was living with the record a long time by then, and he really knew what he wanted to do. He proved a good guy to be around. We would start about 5 or 6 in the evening, hitting tape by 7. We worked five or six hours. These were great sessions. It was a great moment in the studio for me, and it was technically flawless."

Source: LA Times

Great article, thanks.

I have no real indication, its just guessing, but I believe he also worked on Riad (that overdub on the last chorus), If The World (I don't know, I just think the verses sounded different), Scraped (the same as ITW), Street of Dreams ("thats what Id tell her/its one more failure" part), TWAT (the low pitch overdub on the chorus "it was the wrong time"), Sorry ("nobody asked you.. not one goddamn thing"sounded different too). Maybe Shacklers too, some parts on the verses.

The point is: the high pitched clean tracks seems older than the rest. Lot of main lead vocals (specially the chorus on those songs above) sound like were recorded back in 1999, 2000 and 2002 because of how they sounded. But that's just guessing.

• Like 1

Listening to the album I think it's clear that Axl recorded vocals at different periods. I would guess that scraped was recorded around 2005/06 considering his live voice back then and Rhiad was done around 2002. Really it's hard to tell as Axls voice changes on consecutive nights never mind years. I remember reading something about Axl doing vocal overdubs in 2007, can't remember where it was from but it was around the same time that Bumble was adding his guitar parts.