The greatest unsolved mystery of the GNR fandom...

estrangedtwat

On January 13, 2007 a poster named "Demolition" posted the following on htgth:

To all the haters : I'm sorry for you not sorry for me. You don't know who you can trust now or who to believe.
Remember these words when the album comes out.
I'm out of here

And he was never heard from again.

I have always been fascinated with this. After a decade's worth of bullshit rumors and supposed lyrics, who ever would have thought there was a guy out there that was NOT just making shit up.

He either had possession of or at least had heard "Sorry" almost two years before the rest of us. That's just incredible.

Who was this guy? What else did he have? Will we ever know the truth?

(and the actual link, if such things are allowed: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=42170.msg851905#msg851905)

Edited by estrangedtwat

Someone posted today an article suggesting Axl recorded vocals for a period of time after 27th Dec 06 LA sessions. This would tie in just a few weeks after those recordings, I belive our poster was probably someone associated with the studio or handling of those recordings?

Either it was Axl himself undercover or someone close to him who had access to GNR material. That´s my two cents.

Don't think so. I think someone has Sorry and other tracks around 06. This would explain Checkmate too. Same audio quality.

Edited by Russel Nash

Either it was Axl himself undercover or someone close to him who had access to GNR material. That´s my two cents.

Don't think so. I think someone has Sorry and other tracks around 06. This would explain Checkmate too. Same audio quality.

Well, that is another option. I had forgotten about the hoarders/leakers.

Was literally just about to reply with that, jokingly though. I remember Baz saying something in 06/07 about "there's this great death rock song called Sorry." Or something like that.

I think he described it more as "doom metal". I wouldn't go that far but I suppose the main chorus riff has a doomy, Iommi kind of feel.

Someone posted today an article suggesting Axl recorded vocals for a period of time after 27th Dec 06 LA sessions. This would tie in just a few weeks after those recordings, I belive our poster was probably someone associated with the studio or handling of those recordings?

Which could be any number of people.

Edited by dalsh327

I think he described it more as "doom metal". I wouldn't go that far but I suppose the main chorus riff has a doomy, Iommi kind of feel.

Yup that was it. I knew I was getting the term wrong. And I agree, I wouldn't call Sorry "doom metal" (whatever that is).

Edited by OmarBradley

Someone on youtube posted the chorus lyrics to If the world - on a video where the band played it instrumentally as a "jam"

I don't have the youtube link but it was discussed on here.

Also, there was a South American show I recall. Forum members swore they heard a studio version of Riad being played on the sound system before Guns came on- this was way before the album release. Always thought that was interesting - cause someone within the band must've been fucking with hardcore fans back then.

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker

He either had possession of or at least had heard "Sorry" almost two years before the rest of us. That's just incredible.

Not really. It could have been anybody within the GNR camp, or somewhat affiliated with the studio, don't see how it matters to be honest...

Yup that was it. I knew I was getting the term wrong. And I agree, I wouldn't call Sorry "doom metal" (whatever that is).

Doom metal is what black sabbath invented in 1969-70...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_metal

Sorry it's just a bitter ballad, nothing more....

Someone on youtube posted the chorus lyrics to If the world - on a video where the band played it instrumentally as a "jam"

Also, there was a South American show I recall. Forum members swore they heard a studio version of Riad being played on the sound system before Guns came on- this was way before the album release. Always thought that was interesting - cause someone within the band must've been fucking with hardcore fans back then.

Wasn't Rio '01 the only South American gig before the album release?

Click on that HTGTH link provided on the first post. The demolition guy said before the post about Sorry lyrcs:

Axl is now in New York working with Producer / Engineer Caram Costanzo,
Protools Engineer Eric Caudieux and newest member of the production
team Engineer/Assistant Dror Mohar. The team is said to be
on the final stretch and the mixing is due to begin in the begining
of February.

It was January 2007. People didn't believe him, that's why he posted those lyrics.

It was someone from Argentina, I guess, but they were in one of those Australia/New Zeland gigs back in 2007. If I remember correctly, Esteban (from gnrbootlegs) said it was someone he knew. The guy said he heard Riad had "different drums". If that's true, I can only imagine he either heard an alternate take or he just didn't notice how the (awesome) drum arrangement really sounded because back then we all had only low quality bootlegs from live performances. The later is more probable - the drum arrangement is exactly the same as played in 2001 and the album notes says the drums arrangement was created by Josh Freese, which means before Brain joined the band. Axl also said Riad was one of the CD tracks they didn't change that much since they wrote it.

• Like 1

That's interesting. I have a vague memory of somebody posting on one of the boards, saying they heard an unreleased GNR track as one of the songs played before a concert somewhere (it wasn't a GNR show). They swore it was Axl singing with piercing vocals, and mentioned something along the lines of it being somewhat avant-garde with Buckethead on guitar. I always thought that it was probably If The World.

Wonder if this is the same person referred to in this thread, or a different one.

The band DID NOT play If The World as a jam before it was released.

Pretty sure they did.

Click on that HTGTH link provided on the first post. The demolition guy said before the post about Sorry lyrcs:

Axl is now in New York working with Producer / Engineer Caram Costanzo,

Protools Engineer Eric Caudieux and newest member of the production

team Engineer/Assistant Dror Mohar. The team is said to be

on the final stretch and the mixing is due to begin in the begining

of February.

It was January 2007. People didn't believe him, that's why he posted those lyrics.

It was someone from Argentina, I guess, but they were in one of those Australia/New Zeland gigs back in 2007. If I remember correctly, Esteban (from gnrbootlegs) said it was someone he knew. The guy said he heard Riad had "different drums". If that's true, I can only imagine he either heard an alternate take or he just didn't notice how the (awesome) drum arrangement really sounded because back then we all had only low quality bootlegs from live performances. The later is more probable - the drum arrangement is exactly the same as played in 2001 and the album notes says the drums arrangement was created by Josh Freese, which means before Brain joined the band. Axl also said Riad was one of the CD tracks they didn't change that much since they wrote it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

i would argue dead flowers true identity is the greatest mystery in the gnr fandom. I'm more interested in that than anything about the band.

The greatest strictly GNR mystery - what is up with buckethead?

Seriously, have any new pictures of him come out?? I have not been following him closely for the past few years but it’s 2013 and as far as I know there has not been a clean picture of this guy since 1989. He is a legit giant with distinct hair and apparent social dysfunction in an age of incredible technology and no one can pick him out of a crowd. How is that even possible? He is so amazing, and his elusiveness so unbelievable, maybe he can fly? All things considered that makes about as much sense as anything else. Which is pretty unfortunate? Everything about this gnr universe is utterly fucked.

xo

i would argue dead flowers true identity is the greatest mystery in the gnr fandom. I'm more interested in that than anything about the band.

The greatest strictly GNR mystery - what is up with buckethead?

Seriously, have any new pictures of him come out?? I have not been following him closely for the past few years but its 2013 and as far as I know there has not been a clean picture of this guy since 1989. He is a legit giant with distinct hair and apparent social dysfunction in an age of incredible technology and no one can pick him out of a crowd. How is that even possible? He is so amazing, and his elusiveness so unbelievable, maybe he can fly? All things considered that makes about as much sense as anything else. Which is pretty unfortunate? Everything about this gnr universe is utterly fucked.

xo

Jackie in the house :wub: