Axl, Slash, and Michael Jackson

Iron MikeyJ

I have read things where Axl seemed pretty against Slash working with Michael Jackson. If we are to put together a time line it would appear that Slash worked with MJ on the Dangerous album and the HIStory album. The Dangerous album was released around the same time as the Illusions, so that would mean they were recorded around the same time. I could see how this could potentially be a source of friction. But the big one appears to be the work Slash did on the HIStory album, because this would of been right around the time gnr fell a part. Do you think that Slash's work with Jackson potentially caused Axl to have animosity towards Slash? I know other factors obviously played a role, but could this of been a bigger thing then we all realize? Just look at Michael Jackson's Give into me video, Slash, Gilby, and Teddy (I think) are in it. It even sort of feels like a gnr video with MJ instead of Axl. Do you think this could of played a role in Axl wanting to make Robin the new lead player over Slash? I know it is just one video, but for that video it looks like Slash and others have replaced Axl with Michael Jackson. As big as gnr and Axl were at the time, Michael Jackson was even bigger. I could see how Axl might feel threatened by this. It would be like Axl doing a song with Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page, I could see Slash not being to pleased with that.

I would appreciate any thought you might have on this topic. Thanks.

Edited by Mike420

What was the attitude of everyone in GNR when they worked with other artists? We know Axl sang with Henley, Michael Monroe, Alice Cooper, so he didn't sound completely against the idea of others doing it, otherwise he wouldn't have.

Did Axl feel like Slash working with Michael was giving away solos that the band should have had? I think it opened the doors to a fanbase that wouldn't have listened to GNR.

David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen had that issue. Depending which side you want to believe, Dave got pissed at Ed giving solos away that should've stayed in the band.

That would be kinda crazy if Jackson working with both Eddie and Slash played a role in each bands eventual break ups. Both times Michael knocked on their doors, both bands broke up soon there after.

I think Steve Stevens also left Billy Idol around the time of "Dirty Diana".

I still think Steve was approached to join GNR more than once like Navarro was.

This situation does make me think very much of the Van Halen scenario that went down. In that case, Dave took it way too personally. Of course, Eddie should have brought up that he was recording with Michael if he did not and not kept it a secret, but otherwise he's doing nothing but playing around just as Dave would do if he were asked. The "giving away solos" argument is so dumb. Unless Eddie came back and just literally couldn't solo, I would agree, but typically these guitar players soloing on other people's albums is just them messing around and playing whatever they have in the tank. People like Eddie Van Halen have an unlimited supply of solos at their disposal.

If Axl was actually upset with Slash about recording with Michael, he's very dumb. We don't know that was the case, but hypothetically if it was Slash was doing nothing wrong. He's broadening his interests and making friends with other musical types in the history. It only serves to help the band and clearly he's not devoting any critical time to Michael over GNR. Only someone that is very insecure would get nervous when their guitar goes off and plays with someone else. That is what they do and 9 times out of 10 its nothing personal, its just out of wanting to experiment.

Didn't Axl take a jab at Slash when they were at an awards show?Saying,"And this has nothing to do with Michael Jackson."

Then again it could have been he was saying that GN'Rs video/music wasn't comparable to MJ?Cause I think is was the Vanguard award at the VMAS.

But then again,it could have been both.Taking a jab at Slash and don't compare us to MJ.

Found it

Edited by SweetRose

Didn't Axl take a jab at Slash when they were at an awards show?Saying,"And this has nothing to do with Michael Jackson."

Then again it could have been he was saying that GN'Rs video/music wasn't comparable to MJ?Cause I think is was the Vanguard award at the VMAS.

But then again,it could have been both.Taking a jab at Slash and don't compare us to MJ.

Found it

GNR was given The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. Remember, this is the early 90s. The dawning of a new era. Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana all made their first MTV appearances that night. They were younger, hungrier, and delivered raw performances without brass instruments, fucking pianos and Elton John. Axl made the MJ remark because he was trying to maintain some level of credibility in the eyes of those bands, and the media, who believed GNR had jumped the shark.

If Axl was actually upset with Slash about recording with Michael, he's very dumb. We don't know that was the case, but hypothetically if it was Slash was doing nothing wrong. He's broadening his interests and making friends with other musical types in the history. It only serves to help the band and clearly he's not devoting any critical time to Michael over GNR. Only someone that is very insecure would get nervous when their guitar goes off and plays with someone else. That is what they do and 9 times out of 10 its nothing personal, its just out of wanting to experiment.

I agree, and I personally really like the work both Eddie and Slash did with Michael. But I could also see how both Axl and Dave might feel threatened by this.

Marc,

I would love to hear any thoughts you might have on this topic.

Axl didn't like Jackson and didn't want Slash or anybody form GNR to work with him. I don't think it had anything to do with Slash giving away guitar solos. Although when it comes to writing with other artists, it could be that you are taking a riff away that could be used for GNR.

Edited by recklessroad

Axl is a strange guy......he doesn't like MJ yet he has sang a song that was predominately MJ ABC,Easy as 123 lol.Which of course,knowing Axl,he would say,"But that's The Jackson 5"

I can't seem to find that clip.Wasn't it on soundcloud or something?

Edited by SweetRose

Axl didn't like Jackson and didn't want Slash or anybody form GNR to work with him. I don't think it had anything to do with Slash giving away guitar solos. Although when it comes to writing with other artists, it could be that you are taking a riff away that could be used for GNR.

Did he ever express why he didn't like him? Do you think this was a BIG deal to Axl or was it just water under the bridge?

thanks again.

I don't think it would be because of the music he and done. I'm sure that Axl respects that. It might be for other reasons like what kind of a person he is.

One wonders whether his opinion changed over time. I think a lot of people were more cynical towards MJ around the time those allegations were surfacing. Regardless of whether they were true or not, I think over the years - particularly after his death - people have more happily embraced his legendary status. You don't see people really challenging the music he made. I would think for someone like Slash it'd be a great artistic achievement to play with a true music icon, much like as an actor it would be a huge mark on the resume to work with a guy like Roman Polanski regardless of his personal life. :shrugs:

Marc, did Thriller come out while you were in school? It seems like you went to a school where a lot of kids played music, and something like "Thriller" would've been something the girls were more into, kind of like buying a Robin Thicke or a Justin Timberlake CD would be now. I'm guessing the most "pop" thing guys listened to was Billy Joel. I thought Slash's story about Billy raiding the GNR liquor stash for Johnny Walker was hilarious.

Marc, did Thriller come out while you were in school? It seems like you went to a school where a lot of kids played music, and something like "Thriller" would've been something the girls were more into, kind of like buying a Robin Thicke or a Justin Timberlake CD would be now. I'm guessing the most "pop" thing guys listened to was Billy Joel. I thought Slash's story about Billy raiding the GNR liquor stash for Johnny Walker was hilarious.

I think we were in the 12 grade at the time.