Green Day

Snake-Pit

lol, pretty sure everyone in the world knows green day, op

anyways, they were the first band i ever got obssesed with, back in 04 when american idiot came out. so i owe a bit to them, since my love for music sort of started with them (and really took off with zeppelin. after i discovered zep and hard rock, classic rock, and metal i kind of shied away from bands like green day.

ended up seeing them in 2010ish though with my gf since she likes them and i have to say, they put on a hell of a live show. played for almost 3 hours and may have had the best crowd participation i have ever seen, certainly not one of my favorite gigs ever, but it was still a great time and they sounded really good.

saw them again when they inducted gnr into the hof. they sounded decent there too (although they only played one song). i thought billie joe's speech was ok, another band would have been better to induct guns but its all good

I love Green Day. I always have and I always will, regardless of their public perception. I truly enjoy most of their albums, minus 21st Century Breakdown, I just could never get into it, and Uno, Dos, Tre! were a let down in my personal opinion.

They are amazing live, but this past year's shows were a bit disappointing due to their setlist.

Edit: I even met my fiance on a Green Day forum ha.

Edited by Ricky_Rose

Green Day is tricky. I vividly remember when American Idiot came out, and whether people like to admit it or not, that really was an important. I think for music at the time, but also for me that was a really big album. I remember my dad, of all people, got it and played it in the car. I said "this is ridiculous, why are you listening to this!" He really liked it, and when I got past the embarrassment of him enjoying it, I picked it out for myself.

American Idiot, top to bottom, is a phenomenal album. Absolutely without question one of my favorite albums since 2000, and one of the more important albums from a modern rock band. That album had tons of hits, but moreover every song was just good. It was played to death, but when you heard American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and Wake Me Up When September Ends for the first time they really were killer. Not to mention songs like Letterbomb, Jesus Of Suburbia, Whatsername, Give Me Novicane. The album was a total winner and it deserved the praise it got. Green Day got into the total mainstream with that album, and they, rightfully so, rode on that to excess. I saw them that tour and it was totally bombastic, but a great fucking show.

The album also kind of signaled a bad point in their career. The obvious next question was how do you top that. What I did was heard American Idiot and went back from there. Honestly, their albums before are good, but American Idiot is clearly striving for something more. I never liked Dookie as much as everyone else, and all their albums had GOOD songs, but not great. Warning is a great underrated gem of theirs but I don't know if I ever liked a full album of theirs until American Idiot. But yes, back to how do you top that album. The answer is, you really can't. What I think made American Idiot so good was they weren't trying to make a masterpiece, it just turned out that way. They worked really hard on an album to try and be different and it just worked in their favor.

So when they did 21st Century Breakdown, you could HEAR that they were trying way too hard. I'll admit, I ragged on the album for awhile, and its not as bad as I used to think it was. It has some great songs, like the title track, Before The Lobotomy, Last Night On Eart, East Jesus Nowhere, Restless Heart Syndrome, the last few songs. It is good, you could just hear how hard they were TRYING at that point to make a masterpiece. It wasn't natural, or at least as natural as American Idiot. I now like all of Breakdown, but more because there's nothing glaringly wrong with any song, but some are very clearly not great. They were going for a story which didn't work and they were going for a three act structure which no one, at least not me, cared about.

Then you have Uno, Dos, Tre. Again, upon hearing they were doing 3 albums at the same time, I was disgusted. Every project post-American Idiot had to have some hook for some reason and it felt they were trying when they didn't used to do that. I bashed those albums daily saying "how full of themselves do they think they are that they're gonna release 3 albums of material and it'll all be great." In the end, I feel I was right and wrong to a point. I think each album got worse and worse, but none were horrible like I imagined. Uno was good, Dos was ok, Tre was kind of "been there, done that" by that point. The problem with the albums is every song starts to sound the same, and when you put out 3 albums, invariably crap that you would normally cut gets put on. And you can HEAR how easy it is for Billie Joe to write that same song over and over again, and just because you have 30 songs doesn't mean they all don't sound the same and they are all great. Some were good, some were just dumb. I still think you could make a great single album from those 3. It still wouldn't be as good as American Idiot, because they seem to have a different mindset know, but it would cut the crap and be bare bones back to their roots to a point. Like Breakdown, nothing glaringly wrong with those albums, but learn to control yourselves.

In the end, they are a good band that gets an unnecessarily bad rap. People don't like them for the wrong reasons. They were not the band that should have inducted GNR. I don't know who should have, but not them. Aside from them coming right next to each other on my iPod, I see no similarity, and I can only think they were chosen because, like Nirvana, they will go into the Hall Of Fame very soon because they are popular with the young people. Again, they are a good band and their continued output won't ruin American Idiot for me. They had a point in time when they were really good, and the next coming. They got killed trying to measure up to themselves and when they strip away ALL of their plans to do something great, I think thats when we'll hear the next great thing from them.

Guest Len B'stard

Heard all their albums up until Insomniac, gave up after that, didn't seem like they were gonna go nowhere with it but those albums were alright, i liked em. Especially Dookie and 3,000 and something smoothed out slappy hours or whatever that album was called.

• 1 year later...