How'd the GN'R guys get involved with The Strokes?

Marc, this is something I've always wondered about.

When The Strokes were getting a lot of hype back in '01 surrounding their debut album, Slash, Matt and Duff all appeared in their music video for Someday.

Slash also appeared with them live once to play NYC Cops and I think they thanked Matt Sorum in the liner notes of their sophomore record.

I'm just wondering... even though they have career parallels with GN'R (a first album they had trouble living up to, internal strife amongst bandmembers, etc.) -- soundwise they're not exactly close to GN'R, and they were a big part of the indie scene and typically indie music type dudes aren't real keen on mainstream rock groups like GN'R (just stereotyping here).

Do you have any idea how they all ended up in the band's music video and why they thanked Matt in their liner notes?

I'm a big fan of The Strokes so this has always interested me also being a big GN'R fan.

I don't know maybe they are friends and they clicked.

i was just surprised because before their first album, the strokes were a bunch of barely-20 nobodies. that's a big deal for guys just starting out to get big music stars like slash, duff and matt to be in your music video!

good for the GN'R guys though, they could spot young talent. :)