Let's Talk About You Could Be Mine

seely

One of my very favourite GN'R tunes. People always seem to like it and it's a concert staple. But, it doesn't get much discussion.

Great lyrics, Axl on fine form and relentless guitar work from Slash. A tune which highlights Matt and his potential, and so was a great first single for him. The relentless string of lyrics before the final chorus is something i've always loved.

So yeah,

Discuss.

Edit: I notice I fucked up the thread title. My bad.

Edited by seely

Great lyrics, Axl on fine form and relentless guitar work from Slash. A tune which highlights Matt and his potential, and so was a great first single for him. The relentless string of lyrics before the final chorus is something i've always loved.

Though ironically the drum parts were written by Duff many years before Matthew was involved.

Isnt there special thanks to Elton John and Bernie Taupin in the credits for it?

Never really understood why exactly...

There's one line in the lyrics in the booklet which have the asterisk next to them which relates to that 'thanks' message. Never quite understood it either. Think it read the explanation somewhere before but I forget what it was...

the song that got me into GnR. I remember where I was and what i was doing the first time I heard/saw it. the video blew me away too because the guys in this band looked so damn cool. Axl's voice had so much venom in it and I was just hooked. the drum solo intro was badass and Slash just kills on the song. Plus his red guitar looked awesome. I had become a life long GnR fan in the course of that five minutes watching the video. The very next day I bought the cassette single and was so happy that Civil war was a kickass song too.

Probably the best song on the UYI albums.

I has the cassette single, the "cassingle", in 1991 and I wore that shit out. B-side was 'Civil War'.

I bought it in Amarillo Tx and must have listenend to it 50 times on my drive through the night back to Wyoming...

The live part "with your ass in the air" was probably a touching dedication to Elton John's role in inspiring Axl into rock music back in the day. :P

It's a shame that Axl struggles so much these days to perform properly that song - but it's understandable and imo he should drop it from the setlist.

Oddly enough, I really didn't like it for the longest time.

Don't Cry, Civil War, Nov Rain, Yesterdays, Estranged - those were my immediate favorite songs when Illusions came out.

Now, however, I consider it one of the ten best GnR songs. Live though........Axl usually sounds pretty awful on it.

Edited by Groghan

The live part "with your ass in the air" was probably a touching dedication to Elton John's role in inspiring Axl into rock music back in the day. :P

It's a shame that Axl struggles so much these days to perform properly that song - but it's understandable and imo he should drop it from the setlist.

Or they could play it earlier or even open the set with it for a change.