American Hustle (2013)

inthisriver

Am I the only one that feels actors nowadays take the "method" acting a bit too far? I mean this film has a bunch of actors that don't fit that period but they got all "method" lol. Seriously sometimes it can look ridicules.

What do you think method acting means?

Yeah, I know. It could be great, or it could be shit.

I'd say chances are in its favor.

David O. Russell's last two films were very well-received and both earned and won various award nominations. Most of the cast members from his last two films are in this one as well (he's not in the trailer, but De Niro is in this too, probably in a small cameo or something). It's combining the best of both worlds, basically, and it's got a great based-on-a-true-story narrative to boot.

I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be bad. In fact, I'd go so far as to wager that it'll be one of the best films of the year.

i think he's managed to implement that idiosyncratic nature into even his more 'mainstream' stuff. i mean, let's not forget that one of his first films was three kings and starred three really big hollywood names. it's not like he got suckered into the mainstream suddenly.

i thought silver linings carried his charm.

she's a very talented actress. she's been a little glitzed and glamoured up but part of her appeal, i think, is that she's really just a cute girl, not super hot or anything, and she has a genuine personality.

she got unfairly hyped and it may ultimately be detrimental to her career, but i think she's sensible enough to handle it well. wouldn't be surprised if she takes a break from it all for a year or two after the hunger games contract is over.

winter's bone was a great performance though and that was before all the hunger games hype snowballed her career.

• 2 months later...

A few days after seeing it, I've finally hit on what this movie is (to me anyway) - the biggest, most balls out Scorsese parody anyone will ever do. The only deviation is that it features female characters that it actually gives a shit about. It's gangbusters.

• Like 1

The movie was alright

thought is was gonna be better to be honest

Christian Bale was fantastic as always :heart:

This is the first time I've seen Jennifer Lawrence in a movie and quite frankly I'm not all that impressed

Amy Adams was great and I think Bradley Cooper is becoming a much better actor

A few days after seeing it, I've finally hit on what this movie is (to me anyway) - the biggest, most balls out Scorsese parody anyone will ever do. The only deviation is that it features female characters that it actually gives a shit about. It's gangbusters.

Seeing it later this week. By the trailers and clips I've seen, it did remind me of a Scorsese film. Very much looking forward to it. Russell along with Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze have never made a bad film between them. I'm curious to see how this will affect Russell's next few films since it's poised to be a commercial success.

Also might check out Her...

Seeing it later this week. By the trailers and clips I've seen, it did remind me of a Scorsese film. Very much looking forward to it. Russell along with Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Jonze have never made a bad film between them. I'm curious to see how this will affect Russell's next few films since it's poised to be a commercial success.

Alexander Payne and Sofia Coppola belong to that club, too. Her is lovely.

Alexander Payne and Sofia Coppola belong to that club, too. Her is lovely.

Indeed they do. A friend of mine asked me to come up with a list of the 50 best directors of all time and surprisingly (at least at first), Sofia Coppola made my list