Why do you think Axl constantly sabotaged the old band and new band with his tardiness in the studio and in concert?

Randy Lahey

Why do you think Axl constantly sabotaged the old band and new band with his tardiness in the studio and in concert? I get that Slash and him had musical differences, but I think Slash and the rest of the guys would have been more supportive of Axl's vision if he had at least been able to show up on time.

Axl doesn't have bad intentions in showing up late to a gig. When he is not ready to go on then I don't think you would want to see him up there anyways. When he is ready to go on then you will get 100% from him. If he is not ready you will get nothing. That is the way he is wired and it's not his fault. It not like he is waiting for his favorite TV show to end before he goes on.

I took a gamble when I asked him to play piano at my wedding. It turned out he was on time but if he was not, I would not have been upset because I know that time is something that is not always on his side. Time is not something that Axl can really control. Do you really think he would just let the fans wait all night for no reason. Do you think he likes paying huge overtime fees? With Axl there is no wine until it is time.

• Like 3

Axl is annoying sometimes, but I think a lot of fans doesn't really understand him ( I don't blame them, though)
If you read enough about him, you'll see he just has serious issues, he really can't control himself, and he just freaks out sometimes.
Slash wrote in his book about it. He said Axl wasn't malicious, it is just the way he works.
But I do think Axl should have done something about it a long time ago. Tried something to overcame these issues.

Axl is kinda spoiled. And its not entirely his fault, people around him just usually doesn't say anything that could displeasing him, and this doesn't help at all. He got used to just do what he wants and escape from consequences.

That's the impression I get and I know a lot of people here thinks like that.
What do you think, Marc? This is bullshit or these things makes some sense?

Edited by Miss Paradise

He's beyond spoiled - he's been coddled and cossetted for 20+ years and he has serious emotional/mental issues that haven't been treated - again, because he's been cossetted and coddled and shielded from what should have been the consequences of his behavior. The guys did it for him in the days before they made it big -- Axl's so talented, so tortured, so compelling and so fragile -- which is why he was able to make everyone other than Izzy sign over the name so he could form the world's most profitable cover band. They treated him as if he were bigger than the band, and so he became bigger than the band.

I'm not unsympathetic to Axl's plight - I believe he had a hellish upbringing and that he's suffered from his emotional problems all these years. But he never got the help he needed and now he's too rich and too protected to get it -his managers and handlers certainly don't want him to. Honestly, I think of him as a Marlon Brando like figure - a shadow of his former talent, crippled by his demons and surrounded by people who prefer him that way. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that he has any unwritten songs left in him. Truth is he can't write songs w/o Izzy - and yes, that's a completely subjective, completely biased opinion. All I've got for proof is what happened after Izzy left.

I'm honestly not trying to stir shit here -- I'm the same age as GnR and I discovered them as they were being discovered. I remember how amazing and real and un-packaged and electrifying they were in 1986-1990 -- and I'm way too old to get into online fights about which bands are better b/c I'm too old to invest my identity in the music I Ilsten to. (I swear - it's an age thing and you don't feel it til you get there.) And I think they should've been like the Stones - rocking into their 50s/60s, showing the younger kids how it's done. Axl always pointed to Jagger as a role model for the way he maintained such control over the band and every aspect of it --- but Mick is the very opposite of Axl -- cerebral instead of emotional, rational and always focused on the bottom line. Mick Jagger would never take the stage three hours late because his mind wasn't in the right place or he felt he had to go watch fireworks instead of showing up to perform.

It just seems to me that ever since GnR came on the scene, everyone asking the "Why does Axl behave the way he does?" question has purposely avoided the answer: because he's a very talented, very disturbed asshole.

Edited by KinseyHolley

But if he knew that he wouldn't be ready to go on or had to psyche himself up or whatever,in order to go onstage.Couldn't he have started working on doing so,before closer to stage time?

I mean if show time was say 9 pm,and he knows he needs extra time.Then why wait til 8 or 8:30 to "prep" yourself for a 9 O'clock show?I mean all the other guys were there hours before hand.

Edited by SweetRose

I mean that's like having a doctors appointment at 9 am,you don't wake up til 8,and by the time you are actually ready to go it's 8:30/9:00 am and you have to travel sometimes up to an hour or longer.

I have one doctor that if you would pull that kind of shit,she ain't gonna see your ass.And she also has it posted that you may be refused her services all together!

He is late for almost everything he does including doctor appointments. I'm sure if he was able to fix that he would. Do you think its fun to be late for just about everything you do?

What's stopping him from hiring somebody to make sure he is on time? Is it mood swings that make him late?

Guest Len B'stard

He is late for almost everything he does including doctor appointments. I'm sure if he was able to fix that he would. Do you think its fun to be late for just about everything you do?

Come on man, the guys a fuckin' adult isn't he? You can't seriously be suggesting that it's some kind of disease he has and everybody pointing out that he is late is like, unsympathetic to some kinda condition the guy has.

Come on man, the guys a fuckin' adult isn't he? You can't seriously be suggesting that it's some kind of disease he has and everybody pointing out that he is late is like, unsympathetic to some kinda condition the guy has.

Are even asking if Axl is an adult?

Being late is not a disease, it's a way of living. Not your way of living i guess.

I mean that's like having a doctors appointment at 9 am,you don't wake up til 8,and by the time you are actually ready to go it's 8:30/9:00 am and you have to travel sometimes up to an hour or longer.

I have one doctor that if you would pull that kind of shit,she ain't gonna see your ass.And she also has it posted that you may be refused her services all together!

I don't like to wait at all, if i have an appointment at 9, i'll be there at 9:30.

When he is ready to go on then you will get 100% from him.

If the 2002 VMAs, The Bridge School Benefit, and RIR '11 was 100%, I'd hate to see what 75% would look like.

You hate what you see in the mirror, who cares, and who's saying that he was 100%?

Why doesn't he turn up at the venue earlier then? Axl's lateness is truly indefensible. Everyone else in the world does not possess this strange, lateness disease, including all of the people who are standing there waiting for him to arrive on stage. I cannot believe that people still make excuses for this stuff.

Guest Len B'stard

Are even asking if Axl is an adult?

Being late is not a disease, it's a way of living. Not your way of living i guess.

What on earth are you talking about?

Being always late is not a disease but some people are like that and it seems incurable. I have a friend like that. She's always late, no matter what and I have to tell you that I really cannot understand why :) Well, late or almost late even when it's about something very important.

But then again I can't say I fully understand Slash in this all. He was in that same hotel and didn't have that far to Axl. Instead of going backstage and sitting there for 5 hours getting pissed, wouldn't it be much more beneficial to see what Axl's doing, where he's at and make sure they both leave on time?

He said it in his book - that if he spent enough time with Axl and just was with him to talk certain things over at his pace then most of the problems with him could be resolved. But he considered it a waste of time. And prefered to leave this all to a manager. Well, you get what you paid for. Rule number one - if something is really important for you, you make sure to take care of it by yourself instead of leaving it to third parties because those third parties don't always have your best interest in mind.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Slash is to blame for Axl's lateness. Axl's latenes is obviously his thing. All I'm saying is that Slash could also do more to prevent certain things from happening if he put more effort into it. Especially that Axl's lateness surely had something to do with his disppointment with Slash. It's all much more complicated then most people tend to think - at least that is my opinion.

Axl is definitely a complicated person. But I have a feeling that it gets much easier with him if you take care of certain details. I think he has a tendency for being insecure. I think it is extremely important to convince Axl and keep him convinced that you really care about him, that he's important to you - well, more important than the show, then being on time, more important then the whole business, etc. Axl still keeps saying that he felt differently, that he felt they didn't care about him at all and all they needed him for was to be there on time, make sure they get their deal of fun that night and earn their money. Axl felt that way and I am sure it wasn't true but Slash kept on doing things that might have made Axl think that way. First of all he didn't have enough time (probably because of the drugs and how much time they consumed) and besides he tended to get all too open and sincere towards journalists, moaning about Axl and even if it was pretty innocent he should have never done it. Also he should have been more decided whose side to take in certain situations and sort of show more balls about it - like the feuds with Metallica, Nirvana and so on. After all Axl was like that. One word against Slash or anybody else in the band and he would never talk to that person again. I believe that if Axl's trust in them, particularly Slash, as a friend wasn't being underminded constantly by stupid things that were unnecessary and brought no benefit to anyone, it would have been much easier.

Going back to my opening example - if I want us - me and my friend - to be somewhere on time I just come to her 3 hours earlier and make sure she doesn't lose track of time too much :) A little thing, takes a little effort but works pretty well...

• Like 1

Marc I always appreciate your sharing your thoughts and memories with us but come on mate it is not Axl's fault he is always late? Whose fault is it then?

Being on time is completely in his control so there is no excuse for him being late..........common courtesy............

• Like 1

I understand it is a psychological condition, I know it is not easy to change and I know that in most of the tour in the 90s, for example, Axl was facing many problems, and he wasn't exactly under conditions to handle gigs.

And he was doing therapy to get better, he said he was doing a lot of work on himself, but I'm not sure if was with the right professionals.

What bothers me is thinking that a lot of people take advantage of Axl and no one around him really try to open his eyes to see it. To make him see what is wrong and how he could really resolve his issues.

I hope he surpasses whatever that keeps him from getting things done.

You ppl don't have a clue about being late in life. You can Freudorize anything you want, but it takes one to know one. It's like living without money.

How fucking hard is it to get to an appoinment on time? It take a conscience effort to not put the effort in and is disrepectful to the people you inconvenience....saying that this is "Axl just being Axl" is a bullshit excuse....it is the one thing in Axl's life he actually does have control over and could change if he wanted to....................