Was Going Down really a good song?

Young_Gun

Guest cbgnr666

Its definetly a nice little song they got there.I like to see a re release of Appetite minus My michelle,Think about you,You're crazy,Any thing goes and Out to get me and add in some new fresh songs like this.I skip all them songs now as well as Jungle and most times paradise city,and only look forward to them in a live concert,so I think its time for a freshing up.

I'm sorry but fuck that. It's not like they haven't had time to make a NEW album. No need to recycle AFD material. It'll only get worse anyway.

Yeah I guess a new album would make more sense. :blink: Something new on the radio would also be nice instead of the old Sweet child,jungle,PC.Drives me crazy that they can't play anything other then these songs 99% of the time.I think they should be banned from airplay for 10 years so everyone can have some relief.Friggin so sick and tired of these songs all the time every day over and over.Friggin play something else for love of god.

No not anything special. It may be a "good" song in that it is straightforward and has a catchy melody, but doesn't do anything for me, a bit more bland than something I would expect labeled as GNR. This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Tommy is on lead either.

Unlike most people here in the forum that got hugely excited by Going Down, the song never really resonated with me. Not saying it's a bad in any way, but there's simply no Gn'R 'magic' in there for me...sorry.

Edited by trqster
  • Like 1

Unlike most people here in the forum that got hugely excited by Going Down, the song never really resonated with me. Not saying it's a bad in any way, but there's simply no Gn'R 'magic' in there for me...sorry.

This is 100% how I feel about the tune. I liked the One Man Mutiny album a great deal so I was expecting to like this tune far better than I did/do.

I like it, most public reviews of it were good too. I think it's better than most of the stuff on CD (which I like) as it has less electronics and editing.

I think it would be a good song for GnR to release before the new album. Usually bands release two singles before the album is released. About 2 months before the release date, release a single with Axl's voice... Jackie chan would be a good choice from what we've heard. Then, a month before the release date, release Going Down as a single.

Going down is a song that I think would get regular airplay, something that nothing on CD achieved. One way or another, I think it would be stupid not to release going down as a single, even if they put it on an album, it would have a good shot at being a radio hit as a single.

Another thread about Going Down? Is the original not good enough or something?

Originally I was going to merge this with the old Going Down thread but this seems to be more for reflecting on the song after a few months of having it so it seemed to be a better idea to leave it.

The intro is pretty fantastic. It got my heart pumping, but the song ultimately didn't deliver that initial thrill.

It sounds more like a Tommy-penned solo song (which I guess it is), and not just because he's singing it. It has his bland flavor all over it. While that may sound harsh, I don't intend it to be. I like Tommy's record One Man Mutiny. "Going Down" could have been on that.

I still give the song a spin from time to time. I like Axl's backing vocals on it. I think it's marginal. Nothing earth-shattering. But a proper mix and it's better than a couple of the tunes on Chinese, like "Scraped" or "If the World" (which I never cared for).

The lyrics are terrible. I'd actually enjoy the song more with better lyrics.

Edited by GnR Chris

I like it a lot. As some have said, I agree that it's better than most stuff on CD. The solo is mixed way too high in the beginning, I don't mind it other than that though. The chorus has a very old school GNR sound in my opinion. Curious as to when it was recorded. Also I've heard people say Bucket does the solo, but here its being said its BBF? Any definitive word on this?

Edited by OmarBradley

Now that enough time has passed and the novelty and excited has waned, what do you guys think of Going Down now? I never thought it was anything special. I thought the intro was the best part. The lyrics were bland and unoriginal("coffee is cold") and the chorus was pretty lame. I still feel the same way. What are your opinions on it now?

If you liked it, it was a good song. If not, no it wasn't. I'm SO glad this got a thread.

The song is fine. I do think until we get new music it will always be built up to being more and better than it actually is. I do really really enjoy it, and its refreshing to hear, but its nowhere near classic GNR level and the love its getting around here seems to kind of rate it around there. I was shocked when I saw people thought it was in their top 5 favorite GNR songs of all time. I mean, come on... really? I know everyone has their own opinion but I think people really aren't being level headed when posting something like that.