How do you decide what is GNR and what isn't? What makes something more GNR than something else?

GivenToFly

with my ears and previous musical releases from the band

What makes something more GNR than something else?

What something else?
I don't really understand this question

To me: GNR: 1985-1996
From 1997-onwards: Axl's solo band

The original spirit lost when Steven got fired and Izzy leaves the band
It's that simple

Edited by Crash Diet

What something else?

It's that simple

So for you anything pre-1997 is more GNR than anything post-1997. Also, between 1991 and 1997 it was still GNR but without the original spirit. Did I get this right? Furthermore, I'm not sure what the spirit status was between Steven's and Izzy's departure (about one year that included heavy recording and touring).

Axl is like 70% of their sound for me. It's hard to describe, but the material on Chinese just plain sounded like GN'R to me. All of the shows I've been to since 2002 have had the same GN'R feel to me as the ones I attended in 93 and before.

• Like 1

What something else?

It's that simple

So for you anything pre-1997 is more GNR than anything post-1997. Also, between 1991 and 1997 it was still GNR but without the original spirit. Did I get this right? Furthermore, I'm not sure what the spirit status was between Steven's and Izzy's departure (about one year that included heavy recording and touring).

1. yes, but i admit the new incarnations had a lot cool moments,.though

2. Izzy wrote half of the material on UYI's, lots of great songs, without him the GNR name started to evolve, but to me they still had chemistry on stage

3. Steven's departure was a starting point on a downward spiral (which is sadly Steven represents himself, imo)

4. Without Axl: noGNR for me ofc. he is irreplaceable, but nowadays some cover singers sing bterr than him, which is sad. He still got stage charisma though

Edited by Crash Diet

Like Duff has said in a few interviews it wasn't just one guy (Axl) who made the whole band...It was 5 of them so Axl is just 20% to me..And to me todays "GnR" is Axl's solo project..

I think Mick Wall says it pretty well: "If Mick Jagger went and toured with some new guys and called the band The Rolling Stones we want to know where Charlie is and we want to know where Keith is and Ron..."

How much would CD have sold if Axl didn't call it Guns N' Roses? We all know that former members and their legacy "helped" CD sales..

• Like 1

GNR is the band that became the biggest thing in music in the late 80s and early 90s. Adler was somewhat replaceable. Izzy's departure was the beginning of the end. Slash and Duff leaving was the end. Everything since that is GNR in legalese only. Doesn't matter whose fault it is or whatever, GNR since 1996 is only a brand name used by Axl to attract more attention than he could if he went solo.

GNR is the band that became the biggest thing in music in the late 80s and early 90s. Adler was somewhat replaceable. Izzy's departure was the beginning of the end. Slash and Duff leaving was the end. Everything since that is GNR in legalese only. Doesn't matter whose fault it is or whatever, GNR since 1996 is only a brand name used by Axl to attract more attention than he could if he went solo.

As (mostly) usual Magsie hits the nail right on the fucking head! Hats off to thee sir! :thumbsup:

Duff leaving was only the end by association. If he had left in 91 but the core of the band had stuck together it wouldn't have mattered.

Duff leaving was only the end by association. If he had left in 91 but the core of the band had stuck together it wouldn't have mattered.
In fairness pretty much any of them (other than Axl) could have left in 91 and they would have got away with it as long as they carried on writing, recording, releasing and touring good music. :shrugs:

I agree with you, apart from the phrase that Axl used it as a brand name to attract more attention.

I don't decide because I simply don't care what the band is called.

As long as Fortus and / or BBF are playing guitar in it, I'm interested...

How can you actively follow a band because of Richard Fortus when his entire body of work with the band over the past 10 years has been power chords and the odd solo on cover songs?

I agree with you, apart from the phrase that Axl used it as a brand name to attract more attention.

Yeah, I kinda disagree with myself there too. That's been the main effect of keeping the name, but I think Axl is probably crazy enough to believe that he is the fuckin' Serpico trying to keep the dream alive. Deluded fucker.

Because I'm a guitarist and h

How can you actively follow a band because of Richard Fortus when his entire body of work with the band over the past 10 years has been power chords and the odd solo on cover songs?

Because I'm a guitarist and I love his playing, antics, looks and gear.

He's not the only session guitarist I like btw...

As for BBF, I first saw him live back in 2002 and followed him ever since.

The reasons I follow GnR have very little to do with the original five and their discography...

Yeah, I kinda disagree with myself there too. That's been the main effect of keeping the name, but I think Axl is probably crazy enough to believe that he is the fuckin' Serpico trying to keep the dream alive. Deluded fucker.

Yeah... I think so too....