Ghost

axlslash

D8585494-4690-48-AC-BBC9-C85-B86-B48-C15

Bought the EP and listened to it in full. Can safely say Phantom of the Opera is the only track I REALLY enjoyed. The Genesis track is ok. The rest is really weak. And I mean - REALLY - weak. Sucks. And I really enjoyed their last album.

• Like 1

Just came back from their concert. One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. Top 10 easily. Maybe top 5. Setlist was awesome. Glad they played Respite on the Spitalfields. But they didn’t play Phantom of the Opera. They played Jesus He Knows Me but didn’t even mention a new EP. Lol c’mon guys lets sell. Geez.

My favorite tracks are "Jesus he loves me" and "We don't need another hero" from Mad Max beyond thunderdome. But I do love Tina's version.

Not too fond of the other songs. I don't know if GHOST will do any covers live? They did do "Enter Sandman" when I saw them last February. If they do a song, I hope it's Jesus he loves me. Love this version so much and it's a very cool song.

On 5/18/2023 at 3:59 PM, Stress Fracture said:

That would have been a perfect song for Ghost to cover. This faithful Maiden cover is just a waste of time.

Ah man what a bummer, I was skimming the thread and assumed it was from the musical

9 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My favorite tracks are "Jesus he loves me" and "We don't need another hero" from Mad Max beyond thunderdome. But I do love Tina's version.

Not too fond of the other songs. I don't know if GHOST will do any covers live? They did do "Enter Sandman" when I saw them last February. If they do a song, I hope it's Jesus he loves me. Love this version so much and it's a very cool song.

They did Jesus He Loves Me yesterday. My guess is it will be a staple this tour. Hoping Phantom gets added to the set.

• 1 month later...

Having digested the EP a bit - it's fine...but it all feels a bit sterile. It's very polished but also lacks any real punch or energy. The only song that really sticks out to me is We Don't Need Another Hero - that's a fantastic cover and suit's Tobias' voice really well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Having digested the EP a bit - it's fine...but it all feels a bit sterile. It's very polished but also lacks any real punch or energy. The only song that really sticks out to me is We Don't Need Another Hero - that's a fantastic cover and suit's Tobias' voice really well. 

I haven't returned to it at all since the week it came out. I only liked Phantom, though. And I'd rather listen to the original version. 

• GNFNR 1

On 6/28/2023 at 8:12 PM, Powerage5 said:

I like Tobias's version of We don't need another hero, but Tina Turner's version is way better. More passionate. I recently watched the video and it's more powerful with Tina singing it. But I do love that song.

I think GHOST will only do Jesus he knows me live and that's fine. I love their original songs and want to hear more songs off the latest cd.

• 2 weeks later...

This song is awesome and who knew Patrick had such a sweet voice. I read Patrick is a fan of GHOST saw them twice in 2022 and fell in love  with them. He personally asked Papa and Ghost to record it with him. The song fits this movie great. I stayed until the last of the credits to hear the whole song. There also was a little something at the very end ov the movie

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY seeing these guys after liking them for a decade. Half way through the show. They are fucking amazing. Tobias is a talented motherfucker 

On 10/8/2013 at 11:57 PM, ZoSoRose said:

really great band. theyre coming here sunday, opening for avenged sevenfold. really want to go but im broke =(

You finally saw them, ZoSo :lol: 

I never did end up seeing Avenged Sevenfold, either, but I kind of out grew them anyways. Ghost rules, though

Edited by ZoSoRose

• 4 weeks later...

I've been digesting the show I saw in Syracuse a couple weeks ago, and I have to say...I really didn't enjoy hardly anything about it, or about the Impera era now that I've seen a gig during it. For starters, the album just never clicked with me - it's not terrible or anything, but it's certainly their most inconsistent IMO. Spillways was fantastic - one of my favorite Ghost songs. Call Me Little Sunshine, Watcher In The Sky, and Respite On The Spitalfields are all quite good. I like the sound they were going for on Kaisarion better than I like the song. The rest is all pretty "meh" for me, except Twenties which is atrocious. Phantomime didn't do much for me either - I absolutely love We Don't Need Another Hero, but none of the rest really stands out to me even amongst their other covers. 

As for the show I saw...the banded sounded fantastic, as good as ever. And that's really all the good I can say about it. The biggest thing to me is just none of it actually felt like a Ghost show anymore. The whole production design seemed off. The visuals have just completely lost the religious subtext I feel like. The stained glass backdrop looked great with it now being a physical prop, but it didn't mesh at all with the sleek, modern look of the foreground of the stage. The light design was less atmospheric and more flashy and modern looking. The wardrobe just didn't suit Ghost at all. I don't understand the Ghoul outfits at all - the Spaceball-meets-gasmask look isn't ghoulish at all, nor do the militaristic garb they wear. As for Papa...none of it looked like Ghost. These sequined smoking jackets with ruffled shirts, the bat wings, the top hat...give me a fucking break. Papa III did wear some more secular clothes but it at least looked like Ghost still. This doesn't. The religious outfits looked great, but they just weren't present enough. In a 19 song set, only three songs featured Papa in a religious outfit - one in the full papal robe with hat, one in the papal robe without hat, and one in the priest robe. That's not enough for a band that built their imagery on this type of stuff. 

Besides all that, I just don't think amphitheaters are right for Ghost. They completely lack any atmosphere, and the crowds that Ghost is attracting nowadays don't help. It feels so out of element that there's these teenage TikTok-ers screaming bloody murder to the point that the music isn't even enjoyable, complaining that their cosplays are getting ruined in the mud, and sexualizing the Ghouls to a disturbing level. I've seen Ghost about 40 times going all the way back to the Papa I era, but this was probably the least enjoyable Ghost show I've seen - even ahead of the one where I cracked two ribs. 

19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I've been digesting the show I saw in Syracuse a couple weeks ago, and I have to say...I really didn't enjoy hardly anything about it, or about the Impera era now that I've seen a gig during it. For starters, the album just never clicked with me - it's not terrible or anything, but it's certainly their most inconsistent IMO. Spillways was fantastic - one of my favorite Ghost songs. Call Me Little Sunshine, Watcher In The Sky, and Respite On The Spitalfields are all quite good. I like the sound they were going for on Kaisarion better than I like the song. The rest is all pretty "meh" for me, except Twenties which is atrocious. Phantomime didn't do much for me either - I absolutely love We Don't Need Another Hero, but none of the rest really stands out to me even amongst their other covers. 

As for the show I saw...the banded sounded fantastic, as good as ever. And that's really all the good I can say about it. The biggest thing to me is just none of it actually felt like a Ghost show anymore. The whole production design seemed off. The visuals have just completely lost the religious subtext I feel like. The stained glass backdrop looked great with it now being a physical prop, but it didn't mesh at all with the sleek, modern look of the foreground of the stage. The light design was less atmospheric and more flashy and modern looking. The wardrobe just didn't suit Ghost at all. I don't understand the Ghoul outfits at all - the Spaceball-meets-gasmask look isn't ghoulish at all, nor do the militaristic garb they wear. As for Papa...none of it looked like Ghost. These sequined smoking jackets with ruffled shirts, the bat wings, the top hat...give me a fucking break. Papa III did wear some more secular clothes but it at least looked like Ghost still. This doesn't. The religious outfits looked great, but they just weren't present enough. In a 19 song set, only three songs featured Papa in a religious outfit - one in the full papal robe with hat, one in the papal robe without hat, and one in the priest robe. That's not enough for a band that built their imagery on this type of stuff. 

Besides all that, I just don't think amphitheaters are right for Ghost. They completely lack any atmosphere, and the crowds that Ghost is attracting nowadays don't help. It feels so out of element that there's these teenage TikTok-ers screaming bloody murder to the point that the music isn't even enjoyable, complaining that their cosplays are getting ruined in the mud, and sexualizing the Ghouls to a disturbing level. I've seen Ghost about 40 times going all the way back to the Papa I era, but this was probably the least enjoyable Ghost show I've seen - even ahead of the one where I cracked two ribs. 

I agree about them barely using religious attire, especially the Papa, which is really ridiculous, and that their fanbase is completely cringeworthy and irritating - but I really enjoyed the last album, thought it was better than Prequelle. But yes, Twenties is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life, by any band.

• GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I agree about them barely using religious attire, especially the Papa, which is really ridiculous, and that their fanbase is completely cringeworthy and irritating - but I really enjoyed the last album, thought it was better than Prequelle. But yes, Twenties is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life, by any band.

For me, Prequelle is right up there with Meliora as my favorite. Think it speaks volumes to the strength of their discography that there’s probably an argument to be made for any of their albums as being their best. 

10 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

For me, Prequelle is right up there with Meliora as my favorite. Think it speaks volumes to the strength of their discography that there’s probably an argument to be made for any of their albums as being their best. 

I like Prequelle - but I enjoyed Impera a bit more maybe because of the proggy vibes on a few songs, so I think the best moments are better than the best moments on Prequelle. Plus, I dislike Pro Memoria in the same intensity as I dislike Twenties :lol:

EDIT: But I don't think any of them get close to Meliora's level.

Edited by Cosmo
  • GNFNR 1