Ghost

axlslash

I've been getting really into Ghost lately (they go by Ghost BC in the states for some stupid legal reason). They're amazing. They basically goof the stereotype that metal is satanist and evil. Their lead singer, Papa Emeritus II, wears a black cardinal get-up and paints his face as a skeleton. The rest of the band are "nameless ghouls," all of whom wear masks and friars' robes that hide their faces. Their songs are also super Satan-y, but they openly acknowledge that it's all a ruse. They're basically one giant fuck you to all of the anti-metal types out there. Also, their music kicks serious ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyWRMDPcls

• Like 1

They have to skip the Chicago stop because of the Lolapalooza non-compete clause. I don't really like A7x, but I'd love to see Ghost more than any new band out there. I have both of their records on Spotify repeat right now, and Con Clavi Con Dio has been stuck in my head for like a week (not that I'm complaining). I'm crossing my fingers that they do a small venue headlining tour in the States next year, 'cause it won't be long before Papa and his ghouls are headlining stadiums.

They're definitely on the lighter side of metal, but I really like them. Catchy riffs, hilarious lyrics, and just generally fun. They're no Springsteen or Dylan, but worthy successors to the theatrical thrones of Alice Copper, Manson, etc.

They have a new covers EP coming out next month with Dave Grohl (who is rumored to have, at some point in the past year or so, played with Ghost as a Nameless Ghoul in full get-up). This is the title track. Possibly my favorite Ghost recording I've heard yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEjvGTpHvFU

• Like 1

There's at least 2 Ghost threads on here. But whatevs. It's cool to see them get bigger and get more fans all over the world. Big fan and has been for a couple of years. Finally got to see them this summer and it was Great!

Not a fan of that new Roky Erickson cover. Don't sound like Ghost's supposed to, however stupid that may sound. It sounds more like one of the former bands of the lead singer. Won't name it if people still want the singer to be mysterious and unknown but it's pretty well known by now who the singer is. The rest of the band is a better kept secret.

Saw them open for A7X last night. They were alright, but I feel the music lacks from the vocals. His voice doesn't go with the music in my opinion.

I love his voice on the records, but am more iffy on it in concert. His stage presence makes up for it for me, though.

Papa is Tobias Forge, right? I know that's the predominant rumor I've heard.

Saw them open for A7X last night. They were alright, but I feel the music lacks from the vocals. His voice doesn't go with the music in my opinion.

I love his voice on the records, but am more iffy on it in concert. His stage presence makes up for it for me, though.

Papa is Tobias Forge, right? I know that's the predominant rumor I've heard.

Yes.

I haven't actually really sat down and listened to them but everything I've heard in passing I really like. They were one of four openers for Maiden in Helsinki, but I was too busy getting drunk at the best pre-party I've ever been to to get to the stadium at 4...

I haven't actually really sat down and listened to them but everything I've heard in passing I really like. They were one of four openers for Maiden in Helsinki, but I was too busy getting drunk at the best pre-party I've ever been to to get to the stadium at 4...

Check em out. Both albums are on YouTube. Opus Eponimus is catchier, Infestissumam is a bit more musically complex. Both are great.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw them for like 5 minutes opening for A7X.

It seemed their sound had gone out once and the singer apologized for it.

I went to get something to eat and while I was on the line, I heard them begin a song and then nothing. no more sound.

When I got back to my seat, my daughter told me that when the sound went out the singer threw down his mic and walked off the stage. She said the band continued to play and the drummer had to be told to stop playing. I guess with the earphones they don't hear too well. Anyway, they were the only band to lose sound, which means their amps must have sucked.

Deftones were awesome and had no problems and neither did A7X.

I bet someone in the Ghost BC camp got fired that night!

I went to get something to eat and while I was on the line, I heard them begin a song and then nothing. no more sound.

When I got back to my seat, my daughter told me that when the sound went out the singer threw down his mic and walked off the stage. She said the band continued to play and the drummer had to be told to stop playing. I guess with the earphones they don't hear too well. Anyway, they were the only band to lose sound, which means their amps must have sucked.

Dallas?

Here's from facebook after that show. Seems they won over loads of new fans anyway which is great! https://www.facebook.com/thebandghost/posts/677619808923485

Dallas?

Here's from facebook after that show. Seems they won over loads of new fans anyway which is great! https://www.facebook.com/thebandghost/posts/677619808923485

Well, I thought their music had good melodies and the singer's voice was cool, but I guess he got fed up when the sound went out. Anyway, they weren't horrible and it was a shame the sound fucked up on them.

• 1 year later...

I saw them a bunch of times opening for Maiden last year. They put on a good show, but I feel like you've probably got to see them do a headlining gig to get the full experience; the stage show was somewhat lacking when they were opening, even if they had the presence. I actually think Papa is a really good frontman also.

As for the music, I like the first album much more than the second album. The lighter sound of the first album has a really cool vibe, it's unlike anything else out there. Ritual is my favorite song from them.

New song!

Was mixed by Andy Wallace (SLAYER, NIRVANA, SEPULTURA, GUNS N' ROSES).

"Meliora" track listing:

01. Spirit
02. From The Pinnacle To The Pit
03. Cirice
04. Spöksonat
05. He Is
06. Mummy Dust
07. Majesty
08. Devil Church
09. Absolution
10. Deus In Absentia

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ghost-new-single-cirice-available-for-streaming/#7ZVqJoCru2CYuObr.99

ghostmelioracd.jpg

• Like 1

Just heard the single for "Circle". Sounds very good to me. The singer's voice is so soft and I love the melody of the song.

I saw a little of Ghost when they opened for A7X a few years ago. For some reason their sound kept going in and out, so finally after about 4 songs the singer just dropped his mic and left the stage. That sucked. It must have been their techs because The Deftones and A7X had no problems with the sound at all.

Then a few years ago, when Ghost BC had a headlining show in Dallas, they showed up at the Frightmare convention. I was unfortunately watching a panel for the Fear Clinic movie with Thomas Dekker and Corey Taylor and we missed them. A friend told me they just showed up with their bodyguards and walked around meeting fans. The singer met Linda Hamilton and hugged her. Not sure if she knew who he was. lol Anyway, as fast as they appeared that was how fast they left. I think next time these guys come to Dallas I would like to see them. I know my kids love them and I've listened to some of their other cds and they are very good.

Ghost is coming to Dallas on October 13. Tickets go on sale this Friday.

I think I might go with my two kids. They are big Ghost fans and I would like to see these guys live again hopefully without any tech issues.

They're playing House of Blues and I've seen a lot of concerts there and the sound is great.