A genuinely awesome interview with Bumblefoot

Guest NGOG

Fantastic interview.

The bullying thing is really weird, its like you would think out of every band to have replacements the GNR guys would know how it feels to be the new guy and to be accepting.

Guess it comes down to that "alpha male" thing Axl was going on about. Slash felt uncomfortable having another lead guitarist when Zakk was in, Bucket was upset that Axl let Robin back in the band, etc. Tbh I think Axl subconsciously likes it in some sort of "divide and conquer" way. I like hearing the clash of the guitar styles of Robin and Bucket on the album.

He also already mentioned that he tried to stab them, so they got to respect him after that. Axl even texted Bach 'Ron tried to stab the band - now I finally feel like I am in a rock band again'.

Shit, when did THAT happen?!

Don't know WHO he tried to stab but yeah, Axl nicknamed him "shank". Seen footage of Axl calling Ron the Shawshank Redemption

Ron is a very nice guy until you fuck with him. Heard stories about him travelling all the way to Paris after the french Uncool tour to punch his then-manager ( BBF was on a french label called Jaff records back then ) or tour manager in the face to get paid or something like that. There was a french Bumblefoot fan magazine back in the day called T.A.O.R.T and there were a few stories like that.

I like Robin but I suspect he was quite an asshole to Ron when he joined...which is a shame because even though Robin is a creative talent, well, y'know...

At my job, nobody tells me shit or asks me if they can hire somebody new. I don't throw a temper tantrum and treat the new people like shit when they do. As much as people are trying to twist this to blame Axl because he's Satan, that's fucking stupid. When did people lose the ability to hold themselves and others accountable for their own actions? Quit trying to be like Axl.

I wonder what Bumble sees in GnR that made it worth sacrificing his health over. They wont even write with him, yet still he goes and fuck his body up so the band can go on.

its very sad :/

amazing interview btw, the best one Ron has ever done

The way bumble makes it sound, Tommy and Dizzy don't like him very much.

It's cool that he's friends with Pitman, I didn't really know that. I knew he was friends with Frank.

I wonder if the people in the band don't like DJ either. Everyone in the band wanted just 2 guitar players, Finck leaving reopened that door and then DJ came in.

It would be cool having just Richard and Bumble on guitar though.

It's also cool that they wouldn't tour without him in 2011. That shows that they're actually a band and feel like if one person is missing the band is missing a piece.

It's sad though that he felt he had to do it, especially knowing he tried suicide in 2011.

Edited by liers

So he has an open window of time to chat with yarmo but won't accept a few questions from forum members here to answer via email..

Wasn't done by Jarmo.

the forum was asking was GNR questions and the had just finished up the tour.

Edited by Axl_morris

So he has an open window of time to chat with yarmo but won't accept a few questions from forum members here to answer via email..

Wasn't done by Jarmo.

well irrespective it was done as an exclusive for HTGTH wasn't it?

email questions could have been accepted and answered at a later time.

whatever, carry on..

He also already mentioned that he tried to stab them, so they got to respect him after that. Axl even texted Bach 'Ron tried to stab the band - now I finally feel like I am in a rock band again'.

Shit, when did THAT happen?!

2010 interview

WI: Going back to you guys in Guns N' Roses, do you guys have any nicknames for each other? Obviously you have your nickname, Bumblefoot, but do they have any other ones for you, or do you have any for them?

RT: They usually call me Bumbles. Let me think, nicknames I can say out loud, nicknames that I can reveal.

WI: We don't want to get you in trouble here.

RT: Exactly, which I tend to do often. Nah man, I don't think we have any nicknames. I started to think of a bunch, like Frank could be Frizzy because he's bald and the FR is in Frank. At one point Axl was calling me Shank.

WI: Really? Where'd that come from?

RT: Because I tried to stab three people on stage at a show in 2006.

WI: How'd that come about?

RT: How do things like that happen? They just happen.

3 people... Maybe Dizzy, Fortus, and Tommy?

I always thought this was super cool with Robin and Ron in 2006 (start at 1:02):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjm9iYV-ffU

Ron is too low in the mix, but you get the idea. I thought it was rad that A) They shared the lead at the beginning of the song that's obviously meant for only one person and B) That they both came to the front center of the stage to do it

:bbf06::robin:

Agreed. And that in general sounds fucking ace. Including Axl. Probably my favorite new-GnR era. ^_^

No, they didnt bully DJ. Ron made it clear that nobody should be treated like he was.

Oh, and he absolutely had the hardest time with Richard. Watch the last show of 2006, after PC, when he tries to interact with Rich and he totally ignores Ron on stage - that was truly embarrassing. He also already mentioned that he tried to stab them, so they got to respect him after that. Axl even texted Bach 'Ron tried to stab the band - now I finally feel like I am in a rock band again'.

A few grown man jealous because the new guy got to play the hardest - imo the best - solos - it is exactly that.

That it childish, sad and most of all a little bit hilarious. :unsure::lol:

But yeah, Ron deserves better. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. Too good (and nice) for this mess maybe.

What a clusterF this band is.

Great job Axl, Beta, Fernando and Del!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like BBF needs to leave and do his own thing. All the money in the world isn't worth it.

As much as I hate Team Brazil, I really don't think this can be blamed on them.

Edited by username

I always thought this was super cool with Robin and Ron in 2006 (start at 1:02):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjm9iYV-ffU

Ron is too low in the mix, but you get the idea. I thought it was rad that A) They shared the lead at the beginning of the song that's obviously meant for only one person and B) That they both came to the front center of the stage to do it

:bbf06::robin:

Agreed. And that in general sounds fucking ace. Including Axl. Probably my favorite new-GnR era. ^_^

No, they didnt bully DJ. Ron made it clear that nobody should be treated like he was.

Oh, and he absolutely had the hardest time with Richard. Watch the last show of 2006, after PC, when he tries to interact with Rich and he totally ignores Ron on stage - that was truly embarrassing. He also already mentioned that he tried to stab them, so they got to respect him after that. Axl even texted Bach 'Ron tried to stab the band - now I finally feel like I am in a rock band again'.

A few grown man jealous because the new guy got to play the hardest - imo the best - solos - it is exactly that.

That it childish, sad and most of all a little bit hilarious. :unsure::lol:

But yeah, Ron deserves better. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. Too good (and nice) for this mess maybe.

What a clusterF this band is.

Great job Axl, Beta, Fernando and Del!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like BBF needs to leave and do his own thing. All the money in the world isn't worth it.

As much as I hate Team Brazil, I really don't think this can be blamed on them.

Initially I'd agree with you, but don't you remember about a year ago when Fernando publically scolded BBF and basically told him to keep his mouth shut about "their" band?

Wasn't done by Jarmo.

well irrespective it was done as an exclusive for HTGTH wasn't it?

email questions could have been accepted and answered at a later time.

whatever, carry on..

But because it's available thru htgth we can safely assume it's Axl-approved.

That in itself is interesting, because this interview doesn't cast band dynamics in a good light at all. Just seems like a bunch of spineless bullies tip-toeing around behind the back of an oblivious boss.

Stabbing band members and wishing he was dead. Bumble is way more unstable than he first appears.

Was. WAS.

He seems to be in a far better place mentally and physically now.

I guess. But did he seem so unhinged back then? I dunno man.

Hard to dispute. Back in 06-10 Ron was a welcome breath of fresh air, and seemed (by far) the most even-keeled member of GNR. Who knew that behind the scenes he was pulling knives on these dudes, and later trying to take his own life just to escape life on the road with GNR. Then again, maybe that's why he's so adverse to everything GNR. He's just a normal guy who wants to create and put out music. Unfortunately, GNR is no longer the right band for that kind of mindset.