If GNR would've been better off without Slash, then why keep playing his songs at gigs?

niceguy

It's sorta logic though. It's like hating an ex and not wanting to have anything to do with her anymore and yet wearing the stuff she gave you or reading her love letters. #LOL

EDIT: Maybe DJ Ashba should come up with his own Sweet Child o' Mine solo... oh.. wait... he can't. Nevermind.

Edited by TombRaider

None of them play Slash's solos note for note.

Axl plays the songs for 2 reasons.

1. Like it or not, in some way or another axl helped write them. They are his songs as much as slash's and he is entitled to play them.

2. The fans want them played.... A ton of people would get mad going to a GnR show and not having WTTJ or SCOM or PC played.

Open with OMG, close with Prostitute... They could get by without WTTJ and PC opening and closing the show.

• Like 2

They play them because Slash created some damn fine riffs and solos.
About the writing thing, about who wrote what. Take Led Zeppelin for example, they have a bunch of songs written by

other artists but it's the way that they interpreted them that made the songs what they are.

Imagine November Rain without Slash's solos or Estranged without the swelling tones. Sub par songs at best.

I don't get it why people want to diminish Slash as a guitarist around here.

if Axl thinks that GN'R were or are better without Slash, he should hear his legendary timeless classics on Chinese Democracy. Don't get me wrong i like the album but imagine what Slash could of done to those songs.

Edited by Loaded

They play them because Slash created some damn fine riffs and solos.

About the writing thing, about who wrote what. Take Led Zeppelin for example, they have a bunch of songs written by

other artists but it's the way that they interpreted them that made the songs what they are.

Imagine November Rain without Slash's solos or Estranged without the swelling tones. Sub par songs at best.

I don't get it why people want to diminish Slash as a guitarist around here.

if Axl thinks that GN'R were or are better without Slash, he should hear his legendary timeless classics on Chinese Democracy. Don't get me wrong i like the album but imagine what Slash could of done to those songs.

The album stands on it's own imo. Musically at least. I don't need to imagine what Slash could have done to the songs cause I like what Robin and Bucket contributed to the material.

Besides, doesn't seem like Slash would have been inspired to play on most of the songs. I don't think that kind of music speaks to him.

Slash is a great fucking guitar player and he will always be the best Gn'R guitarist ever. No one can diminish what he did in Guns.

Axl Rose: "Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies."

OK, fine. Then why does Axl order his employees to play Slash's solos note for note?

And why does Axl keep playing songs that Slash helped write? Why not stop playing Jungle, SCOM, Civil War, Brownstone (which was written purely by Slash and Izzy), and Paradise City?

I'm genuinely curious as to what the Axl Defense Squad thinks.

Bullshit, Axl doesn't order his "employees" to play the solos note for note, listen to the live versions! yes they play close to the original but they also put their spin on it too... entirely depends on what effect changing the solo would have on the song. you can't change SCOM but you can change the outro to Nightrain etc, etc.

Why does he continue to play material he helped write? well, he helped write it... that's reason enough. He continues to play the material because he knows what his audience want. Yes, we want new material but we also want to hear axl singing the songs that made him who he is.

Sorry, but it's a stupid argument, by your logic bands should stop playing songs when the band member that wrote the song leaves the band... does that seem logical to you? where would 9/10 bands be today if that was the way things actually worked. Even GnR in 1991 would have ran into trouble after Izzy left. I think 9/10 people would be pretty pissed off if they paid good money to see Axl and he didn't sing the hits.

• Like 1

Axl Rose: "Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies."

OK, fine. Then why does Axl order his employees to play Slash's solos note for note?

And why does Axl keep playing songs that Slash helped write? Why not stop playing Jungle, SCOM, Civil War, Brownstone (which was written purely by Slash and Izzy), and Paradise City?

I'm genuinely curious as to what the Axl Defense Squad thinks.

Maybe GNR should have broken up after Lies and lived off of AFD money.

Songwriting credits are one of the biggest arguments bands get into when they start having hit songs, but some bands choose to split songwriting credits to avoid resentment building up.

Axl could have plucked someone from a GNR tribute band instead of hiring DJ if it was about note for note Slash solos.

I think theres certain expectations for a GNR show. I think Axl probably had a lot of input into Jungle, SCOM, PC.

Im not entirely convinced by this band playing Brownatone and Easy.

But if they are calling it GNR might as well go all the way.

But i do think theres less Izzy and Slash material than if they were there. Patience, Think about you, 14 years, maybe Bad Obsession and Dust N Bones would get played more. Civil War and Estranged were left out for a while.