War Movies

Georgy Zhukov

6 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Theres a great one with Michael Caine with Henry Fonda on a bit part, i think its called Too Late the Hero, Caines been in a few good ones actually, Battle of Britain, Bridge too Far, the other one where he plays a nazi called Steiner whoose name i cant remember.

Is that the one where he is trying to bump off Churchill?

Michael Caine as a German - he certainly is blond enough but it is not quite right, is it? (assumes accent and turns to the camera Alfi style) ''ere, like the uniform? You never guess what? I'm only a bloody jerman''.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is that the one where he is trying to bump off Churchill?

Michael Caine as a German - he certainly is blond enough but it is not quite right, is it? (assumes accent and turns to the camera Alfi style) ''ere, like the uniform? You never guess what? I'm only a bloody jerman''.

Oi you, dont take the mickey :lol:. Y'gotta admit he actually came off quite well in it!  You wouldn't think he would but he did.

Apocalypse Now Redux is my favorite but there are so many great war movies.

An old favorite is Stalag 17 made in 1953.......

One I liked as a kid before I realized it was a cheesy Vietnam propaganda film was "The Green Berets" with The Duke John Wayne. Also has Sulu George Takei playing a South Vietnamese soldier

Edited by classicrawker

53 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

One I liked as a kid before I realized it was a cheesy Vietnam propaganda film was "The Green Berets" with The Duke John Wayne. Also has Sulu George Takei playing a South Vietnamese soldier

I've heard many say the things added to Redux dont do a lot for it.  I love The Green Berets!  

Edited by Len B'stard

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I've heard many say the things added to Redux dont do a lot for it.  I love The Green Berets!  

Yeah I know it has gotten bad reviews from some but I like the added story lines especially the visit to the French plantation. The Playboy Bunny part is not very necessary but still like seeing what was cut. I can understand why Coppola cut those story lines from the movie for the Theaters as they do break the flow of the movie but that is the beauty of DVD's/ Blurays in that you can get the movies with added material and decide if you like it or just watch the orginal cut..........

I also like the Green Beret's but once I was old enough to understand what was going on I saw it for what it was which was a pro military propaganda flick which painted the North Vietnamese as villians and America as the great liberators IMHO...........then again I will watch anything that features the Duke............

A masterpiece of a  film about post war Vietnam is Coming Home, starring Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern and Jon Voigt.  It is among my absolute very favorite movies of all time. Simply fantastic!!! It is actually more of a love story but it's not mushy in the least. It is extremely engaging, it reaches a lot of depth about the human emotional and mental toll of warfare and it has a spectacular soundtrack. 

Edited by Tiffani
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 8:27 AM, Tiffani said:

A masterpiece of a  film about post war Vietnam is Coming Home, starring Jane Fonda, Bruce Dern and Jon Voigt.  It is among my absolute very favorite movies of all time. Simply fantastic!!! It is actually more of a love story but it's not mushy in the least. It is extremely engaging, it reaches a lot of depth about the human emotional and mental toll of warfare and it has a spectacular soundtrack. 

it is a great flick! i just caught it a few months back and was amazed at how good it was.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2016 at 4:41 PM, Len B'stard said:

Theres a great one with Michael Caine with Henry Fonda on a bit part, i think its called Too Late the Hero, Caines been in a few good ones actually, Battle of Britain, Bridge too Far, the other one where he plays a nazi called Steiner whoose name i cant remember.

The Eagle Has Landed.

20 minutes ago, PappyTron said:
On 7/23/2016 at 8:41 AM, Len B'stard said:

Battle of Britain, that was one of my Dad's favorites. it was on late one night and i watched it. i vaguely remember, was this the movie where they had the scene with all the dead bodies lined up outside? it's been so long i can't be sure.

On 7/24/2016 at 10:34 AM, classicrawker said:

There are some little things that I don't like about the Redux.  For example, the scene when Satisfaction comes on the radio plays perfectly in the theatrical version. But in the Redux the surprise of seeing Lance on the skis is ruined by showing all the preparation.  It's also one of the first scenes in the original (about 20 mins in) but in the Redux it's moved about about an hour 15 into the movie after they refuel at the military base. 

Edited by spliff