War Movies

Georgy Zhukov

What are your favorite War movies? Miniseries count.

Saving Private Ryan

The Pacific

Band of Brothers

Come and See

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Das Boot

A Bridge Too Far

Cross of Iron

Platoon

Schindler's List

Black Hawk Down

Life is Beautiful

The Pianist

Zulu

War and Peace (Soviet version)

Glory

The Longest Day

The Thin Red Line

Letters of Iwo Jima

Downfall

The Deer Hunter

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

We Were Soldiers

War Horse

Looking for recommendations. Particularly non-American produced WWII films.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

My absolute favorite is, Soldier of orange (based on a true story), with Rutger Hauer produced by Verhoeven.

Good reflection of how it was in my country.

You already saw Black Book, I believe.

And this one, which is not a normal warmovie. A little more challenging for the mind. Based on a great novel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090576/

Both movies are dutch.

Also

The Pianist

Una giornata particolare

Escape from Sobibor

A bridge too far

La vita e bella

Merry christmas mr lawrence

I will come up with more later

Edited by MBRose

Black Book was great. I need to check out Soldier of Orange.

Europa, Europa was a favorite of mine as a teenager. What an unbelievable story.

I edited my post with more. Soldier of orange is an old movie, but great. Hauer at his best.

Hamburger Hill is that one, or is that Clint kicking ass at an army base. Does A Few Good Men count. er, Caualties of War that Brian De Palma one, MJ Fox and Sean Penn. Inglorious Basterds. The Great Escape. Guns of Navarone. Dr. Strangelove. Spies Like Us.

casualties of war was great, so fucked up what happened in that movie.

another movie i really liked was tegukgi-the brotherhood of war.

the movie is all in korean with english subtitles, tells the story of the korean war through the eyes of two south korean brothers. i think it is a damn good movie IMO.

inglourious basterds

enemy at the gates

I never knew anyone from the former Soviet Republics enjoy Enemy at the Gates. It is one of the worse films about Stalingrad. In fact I don't think there were many good films about Stalingrad from the Russian perspective. Only from the German.

inglourious basterds

enemy at the gates

I never knew anyone from the former Soviet Republics enjoy Enemy at the Gates. It is one of the worse films about Stalingrad. In fact I don't think there were many good films about Stalingrad from the Russian perspective. Only from the German.

yes perhaps you are right, i only mentioned it becuse seeing Jude Law in soviet military uniform was pretty exciting, and i could stare at his perfect face for hours :lol:

what are the good films about Stalingrad from German perspective?

(and i think "former Soviet Republics" is a derogatory term :lol: )

Edited by netcat

Guest Len B'stard
yes perhaps you are right, i only mentioned it becuse seeing Jude Law in soviet military uniform was pretty exciting, and i could stare at his perfect face for hours

Girl, what the fuck is wrong with you?!?! :lol: Jude Law, perfect face?!?! Since when? :lol: Perfect nobhead more like it!

inglourious basterds

enemy at the gates

yes perhaps you are right, i only mentioned it becuse seeing Jude Law in soviet military uniform was pretty exciting, and i could stare at his perfect face for hours :lol:

what are the good films about Stalingrad from German perspective?

(and i think "former Soviet Republics" is a derogatory term :lol: )

You should see what the guy he played really looked like.

Well there's this film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/?ref_=nv_sr_2

About a platoon of German soldiers who were transferred from Italy to the Russian Front and ended up in Stalingrad. Pretty grim and gruesome film. The Russians did make a Stalingrad film of their own, in 3D. Submitted for the Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film. Don't know if it is any good though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966566/?ref_=nv_sr_1

thanks! i wanna watch it. Russian Stalingrad by Bondarchuk jr is on now. i didn't see it cause i'm not a fan of russian movies, but people who did are laughing their asses off claiming it's a masterpiece of psychodelic fantasy :lol: