SLASH On Possibility Of GUNS N' ROSES Reunion: 'If It Happens One Day, It Happens'

Guest NGOG

honestly i think if they sign under durress they could block axl using the name. They just didnt think it would matter.

Axl just wanted control and security. Whether you like the idea of Axl using the name is up to the individual. Slash didnt help his case for recincillation as much as I would like a reunion, they dont. Even Canter admits Slash needs to apologize. We know shit compared to Canter.

I'm glad you said it, because some people around here don't even read what I write anymore. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm pretty sure what happened was: whoever was the go-between between Axl and the rest of the band (manager?) was part of the problem in terms how things were presented to each side So to Axl, it was portrayed one way; to the rest, it was portrayed another.

I get Slash's frustration. I really do. Despite the fact that I'm often accused of being ultra anti-Slash, in reality I'm not. I'm really not. I do think he should be held accountable for his actions, just as Axl should. But around here it would seem he gets a free pass on almost everything. Let's be honest, he shouldn't have signed the name over. I don't care how it went down- he owned a part of the band, and he should've fought for it. Instead he bailed, which I understand, but that was the wrong decision, in my opinion.

Anyway, yeah Mr. Canter is a valuable resource. Believe it or not, I don't think Slash should have to make some epic public apology. I just think he needs to acknowledge some of his own behaviors which were detrimental to the band. We all know Axl's detrimental behaviors, but what about Slash's? They're much less well known. Anyhoo, I'm rambling... carry on.

• Like 1

honestly i think if they sign under durress they could block axl using the name. They just didnt think it would matter.

Axl just wanted control and security. Whether you like the idea of Axl using the name is up to the individual. Slash didnt help his case for recincillation as much as I would like a reunion, they dont. Even Canter admits Slash needs to apologize. We know shit compared to Canter.

I'm glad you said it, because some people around here don't even read what I write anymore. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm pretty sure what happened was: whoever was the go-between between Axl and the rest of the band (manager?) was part of the problem in terms how things were presented to each side So to Axl, it was portrayed one way; to the rest, it was portrayed another.

I get Slash's frustration. I really do. Despite the fact that I'm often accused of being ultra anti-Slash, in reality I'm not. I'm really not. I do think he should be held accountable for his actions, just as Axl should. But around here it would seem he gets a free pass on almost everything. Let's be honest, he shouldn't have signed the name over. I don't care how it went down- he owned a part of the band, and he should've fought for it. Instead he bailed, which I understand, but that was the wrong decision, in my opinion.

Anyway, yeah Mr. Canter is a valuable resource. Believe it or not, I don't think Slash should have to make some epic public apology. I just think he needs to acknowledge some of his own behaviors which were detrimental to the band. We all know Axl's detrimental behaviors, but what about Slash's? They're much less well known. Anyhoo, I'm rambling... carry on.

I think we hold on to the feud because it kind of keeps the possibility of the reunion alive. People make enemies of other posters to keep the dream alive. I don't think they really want to go back to do a reunion, but kind of pretend they do to keep the media interested in them. I prefer Izzy's approach, nothing, maybe a laugh.

The only thing you can hold on to is, maybe Slash knows Axl, he knows when Axl says Not in this Lifetime, that's just Axl being gung ho. Axl is much more thoughtful, or has tried to be in interviews, saying Slash and Duff are the ones capable of doing a reunion show. It's really Steven that wouldn't be trustworthy, Izzy maybe not really up for it as a real long term thing.

I think Duff has been balanced, it's more apparent in his book how scared and paranoid they were on tour with Axl. And when Dougie came with the contracts, they were 1. pretty fucked up 2. just scared Axl was going quit the tour. It's more in their own minds than any direct threat from anyone.

I always wondered why they let the lawyers, the business side influence their opinions of each other. Yes, you have to sign, this or that, but really they were going to make money and could have been GNR whether Axl had more power or not. Axl really needed Slash, Slash knew this. Izzy must have known they don't have many songs without me. It's made out Axl is the only one capable of cognitive thought. The rest of them are good hearted dummies that got duped out of GNR. Seems unlikely.

The anti-Slash sentiment is baffling.

"Fallacy and fantasy" doesn't give reason why Slash and Duff would sign over the name and their rights.

"If Slash does this then maybe I'll do that." Imposing conditions ... anyone see a trend? Slash doesn't have to do anything. He can continue making music and touring it.

Axl's plan ultimately failed and he joined the others in losing out. Now they're left with what's left. Still good, but not great.

The anti-Slash sentiment is baffling.

"Fallacy and fantasy" doesn't give reason why Slash and Duff would sign over the name and their rights.

"If Slash does this then maybe I'll do that." Imposing conditions ... anyone see a trend? Slash doesn't have to do anything. He can continue making music and touring it.

Axl's plan ultimately failed and he joined the others in losing out. Now they're left with what's left. Still good, but not great.

Good post.

Nobody won in the end in terms of career success.

Slash/Duff/Izzy all seem happier and healthier in life now, so that's a good thing.

Axl won the name - but look how that ended up for his career.

I wish Axl would have turned to music the way the other guys did. Especially the way Slash and Duff did. Would be pretty cool to have six GnR albums since Axl took control of the band.

I wonder if one day Axl will go back to the days where he enjoyed sharing his music with his fans?

Put "FACT" at the end of any opinion and it validates it......FACT!

Slash is two faced as hell, that's not an opinion, that's a known fact. And he's a liar

And to further validate that opinion, claim that it's "well known."
Someone find that list Volcano compilied of some of Slash's lies frombis book and where he would say one thing and then later say the opposite in various interviews

Factual errors:

- Page 1:

"I was born on July 23, 1965 in Stoke On Trent, England"

- He was born in Hampstead, England but spent his childhood in Stoke-on-Trent.

- Page 102: "We could have booked a gig locally because, collectively, we all knew the right people, but no, we decided that after three rehearsals, we were ready for a tour."

- The first show the Appetite For Destruction line-up played was on June 6th, 1985 at the Troubadour in Hollywood, CA. The tour up to Seattle happened after that show.

- Page 164: "Del ended up writing treatments for some of our videos, as well as having written the short story that inspired Axl to write "November Rain"."

- Del wrote Without You which inspired the video to November Rain and at least part of Estranged.

- Page 210: "When we got on set, we met JJ Jackson, the host, and he was really cool. "

- JJ Jackson didn't interview GN'R on Headbanger's Ball in 1987.

- Page 221, 305: "Within a day, we hooked up with Fred Curry, the drummer for Cinderella, and he was great in a pinch."

- Fred Coury is the drummer's name. [Thanks Nevy]

- Page 259: Tom Mayhue's name misspelled as Tom Mayhew.

- Page 323: "We had three theater dates in L.A., San Francisco, and New York, with various bands opening for us, such as Blind Melon and Faith No More and Raging Slab."

- Raging Slab opened for GN'R at the NYC show, Dumpster opened in San Francisco and L.A. Shannon Hoon (of Blind Melon) sang with the band at the L.A. show.

- Page 323: ".. including two nights at the Inglewood Forum in L.A."

- It was actually four nights.

- Page 335: "After we got out stage show together, backup singers, horn section, and all, and we did a week's worth of rehearsals with every element intact, suddenly we found ourselves in South America, before a crowd of 180,000 at Rock In Rio II, on January 20, 1991."

- The extended lineup played its first show on December 5th, 1991 (the second US leg) in Worcester, MA.

- Page 339: "When he jumped down, it was great, we kept playing that suspenseful riff that starts off "Rocket Queen," and I thought the whole moment was killer. When Axl got back onstage, everything felt triumphant for a second... then he grabbed the mike, said something like, "Because of the bullshit security, we're going home," slammed the mike down, and walked offstage.

The band kept going. We'd gotten good at improvising to fill dead space - drum solos, guitar solos jams - we had a bag of tricks to keep things moving whenever Axl made a sudden exit. We kept jamming, and I went over to the side of the stage.

"Where is he? I asked Doug.

He looked at me with a pained expression. "He's not coming back."

"What do you mean he's not coming back?" I shouted, still playing the riff.

"There is no way he is coming back," Doug said. "There is nothing I can do."

We were about ninety minutes into our set, which was our minimum contractually, but the plan was to play a two-hour ser and the crowd wasn't close to satisfied. They knew there was a lot more left. I would have done anything to get Axl back onstage at that point.

"Ask him again!" I yelled. "Find out if he's really not going to." I should have known by Doug's expression that there was no use.

Once it was final, we had no choice: the band put down our gear, and it was like pulling the plug on the stereo - the song just ended on a question mark. That entire arena sat there expecting something to happen, but instead we walked offstage without a word."

- The following is what happened and it can be seen in the pro-shot bootleg footage from the show. About 1:15 into the song, Axl asks security "Hey, take that! Take that now! Get that guy and take that........ I'll take it Goddamn it!" He jumps into the crowd while the band keeps playing the riff Slash mentioned. Axl returns to the stage at around 1:57 into the song, motions for the band to stop playing and says "Well, thanks to the lame ass security, I'm going home.". Then he throws down his microphone, walks past Slash and walks offstage. Slash proceeds to say something into the microphone. His last line is "We're out of here".

Page 350: "In May of 1992. We announced that we would coheadline a summer tour with Metallica starting July 7"

- The tour started on July 17th, 1992 at the RFK Stadium in Washington, DC.

- Page 363: "I got married to Renee in October 1991."

- Page 412: "On the morning of 9/11, we were woken up at 8:15 by David Williams, Michael's house guitar player .... ... I saw that a plane had hit the Twin Towers, and moments later the second one hit while I was actually watching."

- Flight 11 crashed into the north face of the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 8:46:40. Flight 175 crashes into the south face of the South Tower at 9:03:11.

- Page 437: ".... and the Pistols' "Pretty Vacant."

- They played "Bodies" by Sex Pistols at their first show as well as playing it on tour.

- Several pages: Slash's current band mate in VR, Dave Kushner, is referred to as Dave Kirscher in several places in the book.

The guy doesn't even know where he was born. I don't believe a syllable he says.

Get a life! My god, how long did it take you to research all this? You must have some sick, distorted obsession w slash dude. Get some help!

hahahaha my god one of the most pathetic posts i've ever seen on here. Seriously dude get a life.

Don't turn this into an Axl vs slash thread. Its fact that neither one of them have or will EVER be alone what they were as a team. Most people on this board, and most fans that grew up with the real band, still go see this new version. Its fun to hear Axl sing the old hits. But in reality, a reunion is what most fans want. It still baffles me, Axl kept saying he wanted to "take the band in a new direction", but all we get is a changing line up still covering the old bands music?

Yeah but Axl didn't present the papers to the guys himself. Someone else did it. That someone is the key. Trivia time you hardcore fans: Can anyone name who that might be? What do you think that person's agenda might have been?

Yes, Manager Doug Golstein and tour manager John Reese. According to Duff book that event took place in 1993 when they were on tour. Duff says him and Slash were called into a metting. During the metting they were told to signed the papers because in case of their death the band didn´t want to deal with legal issues with Duff and Slash relatives. Duff and Slash didn´t want to sign it. In fact Duff says there was nothing about a possible death. So the people presented the papers told them that Axl wouldn´t do the show.

Technically Axl is right. He didn´t say a word. He was not there in that meeting. Maybe the managers made it up in order to force Slash and Duff to sign it. It is possible. But the fact is Axl wanted the name for himself. And he knew about those papers.

Duff goes on in his book saying he later talked to Doug Goldstein about it. Because he was not happy at all with that situation. And Doug Golstein tried to calm Duff down saying he manages GN´R. Kinda like saying he had Axl under his control

Axl agrees to a Reunion tour but only if they play CD in its entirety and nothing else.

I couldn't see CD itself being a sticking point for Axl in a reunion. Maybe a bunch of his new material in general, but not just the CD material itself.

I remember I asked once what Slash has actually lied about, and he posted that. It was genuinely scary. That takes at the very LEAST a few hours to put together, and probably several days, which is just psychopath obsessive.

Not to mention that "list" doesn't even correctly answer your question correctly anyway if you go about it the logical way ;)

I'm pro Axl and follow the new band, and don't really listen to Slash's new material or follow him in general. But in saying that it's not the guys fault that he gets asked these questions all the time, it's because he chooses to answer rather than putting demands to his interviews like other people do. It's something that Slash (and other AFD members) will always get asked, especially if the interviewer knows they can ask it.

It always seems that the other original members of GNR always say a reunion "could happen", but it's Axl Rose who says "never in this lifetime".

I would love it and so would all the fans of GNR, but I don't think it's going to happen. Most bands reunite for money and none of them need it and Axl just seems to have moved on and doesn't want to relive those days. It seems too painful for him.

People think they change, but if you go back into a place where you weren't happy and stressed, I don't think it'll be any better years later for any of them.

People want reunion and don't listen to Axl even if Axl said "not in this lifetime" LOL

Hey it would be cool if you were right. I don't mind being wrong about anything GNR.

I think if there every was a reunion, the original GNR would have to play multiple shows in the same cities because these shows would sell out in like 5 minutes.

People want reunion and don't listen to Axl even if Axl said "not in this lifetime" LOL

Hey it would be cool if you were right. I don't mind being wrong about anything GNR.

I think if there every was a reunion, the original GNR would have to play multiple shows in the same cities because these shows would sell out in like 5 minutes.

Because as we all know by now, Axl is meticulous in keeping his word.

I think they first have to convince us it's never going to happen before they actually do it.

I guess it will just be a tour for the big bucks and not a new record. And that the surprise will that it was Slash was the one who didn't want to do it.