Would Snakepit have made a good GN'R album?

Michir

If it had a lot more input from Axl and the gang, then defiantly in my opinion. Its great as is but it would have needed to be taken to the next level by the rest of the guys. Too bad though, would have made a great follow up to UYI, more stripped down and sleazy

If it had a lot more input from Axl and the gang, then defiantly in my opinion. Its great as is but it would have needed to be taken to the next level by the rest of the guys. Too bad though, would have made a great follow up to UYI, more stripped down and sleazy

I picture a similar effect to going from the big band part of the UYI tour, to the Skin N' Bones last leg.

If Axl had written and sung the lyrics to Neither Can I and Be the Ball, you would have had two GN'R masterpieces, right there. The main riff in Beggers would have been an amazing Guns N' Roses riff. The rest of the album also has good riffs and bits here-and-there but they would have needed greater work than those three songs to bring them up to GN'R standard.

The guitar work is top notch, classic slash playing right up there instrumentally with his solos on the GNR records.

Had Axl and Slash had a functional relationship at that stage - I believe with Axl's lyrical content, melody ideas, and of course his tone, it would have pushed it to be the real follow up to AFD in terms of an album full of GNR rockers with less ballads than the UYI records - a return to their roots for the people they'd lost with the queen stuff. I think it would be on par with anything GNR did, and probably better than the lesser loved UYI numbers people call "filler".

Unfortunately by that stage Axl was interested in Industrial so dismissive of guitar pieces, and Slash was desperate to get back out on the road and so unwilling to risk Axl's timeframes for reworking. Thus leading to the absurd "take it or leave it" scenario and power play that happened.

It's a good record as-is from a guitar standpoint, but the fans are the ones that lost out - as a GNR record it would be revered.

• Like 1

lower, neither can I, be the ball, beggars and hangers on, good to be alive, take it away all great songs.

would it have sounded better or worse with everyone else on - hard to tell.

just like saying id AFD would have sounded better with Gilby and Matt or UYI with Adler and Gilby.

you can ask this question for almost any band out there.

I think Axl on that first album would have been great, most of the songs are mentioned already (no mention of Back And Forth Again or What Do You Want To Be? :o ). But I'm hesitant to say I'd like Axl on Ain't Life Grand. Rod just fits perfectly for the tonal darkness of the music on that record.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tired of repeating it, but Axl on Ain't Life Grand would have been awesomeness. The Alien, Serial Killer, Life's Sweet Drug with our favorite redheaded banshee on lead vocals, now we're talking.

Lower would have been killer with axl on vocals - IMO both snakepit albums w the UYI lineup would have been way better than CD ever hoped to be - as they stand, I still like them better musically than CD -- but that's juste my taste for slash rockers vs axl's ballad's/mid-temporock operas

With Axl's input several songs would have been killer and good Gn'R songs. I enjoyed both Snakepit albums.

Ain't Life Grand (album) rocks. Serial Killer and Just Like Anything are some of Slash's best works imho, and I'd love to hear them with Axl's vocals. Same w/ Speed Parade, Mean Bone, Shine, Been There Lately and Ain't Life Grand (song).

Don't you think Axl would have sounded awesome in Slash's ballad 'Back to the Moment'? That song has an incredible melodic solo and a killer outro.

Edited by Nosaj Thing